News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

1999 tiger electrical problems

Started by Jr landin, September 02, 2017, 03:12:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jr landin

I need some help trying  to find what are the common  electrical problems with the 1999 tiger, my bike has some electrical issues with the connectors under the fairing and I just can't figure  out wich connection  is the bad one, all my connectors was corroded I clean them all up very well and pack each one with dielectric  grease and don't seen to help.
I did some research and diagnostics  about this problem in additions with some other members help and pictures I found the problem, now I have to fix this problem!

Misterplant

Hi,it would be helpful to know what kind of problems you are having.im sure one of many learned types on here will correct me if I'm wrong,but regulator/stator charging problems are the only real bugbear,but remember this is getting to be an old bike. Corrosion or worn wiring/tired electrical components are to be expected.
Again,not knowing what your problems are,but having had my fair share of oldies,I'd check the ignition switch for a start,specially if you have corroded connectors elsewhere.
I hope you know how to use a multimeter! :bug_eye
It would be worth your while reposting with a little more info in the Girly section-you in the wrong section here bub  :icon_eek: we all make mistakes mind  :icon_salut:

edit  ****moved to elektrikery in Girly section ***** mustang

John Stenhouse

If its a 99 Tiger it's the 885i not the 955, so that means an alternator piggy back style as per the steamer, not the Stator and rectifier of the later bike.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Misterplant

John Stenhouse

Not corrected, just a little added info really. The only thing I know as a fault for these is the ignition switch, the solder connections get brittle and can cause problems. Not on every bike though.

Mine wore through the rubber sleeve on the alternator output wire, live wire uncovered, luckily Sin spotted it when we were cleaning stuff and supplied me with a new rubber sleeve. Thanks mate!

Bixxer Bob

I'm guessing the yellow lead coming adrift from the nearby terminal is the problem, and soldering it back on is the fix.  But I might just be misunderstanding the problem....  :icon_scratch:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

John Stenhouse

Thats odd, this time is the first time the picture on the OP has shown up. yes thats the usual problem there and yes as BB says solder it back on, should be fine.

Misterplant

Agreement with John-the pic and last bit of text wasn't up on the original opening post!
Good to know you found the prob Jr.,as stated before a simple resolder should fix it,if not then it's likely to be bad contact in the top part of the ignition barrel.  :icon_rolleyes:

Chris Canning

Not that it matters to the OP but 885! engine and electrics has virtually zero to do with the 955 they are worlds apart and yet rolling chassis exhaust( not headers)tank seat bodywork is identical.