News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

ECU warning light stays on after 2 years parked

Started by Tripodtiger, September 23, 2017, 03:59:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tripodtiger

The bike is an '02 that I've had parked in the garage for the past 2 years, been using the steamer and race bikes etc.  It's now the Girly's turn and the steamer can go unregistered for a bit.

I put a new battery in and the starter just spun.  Left it to have a think to itself about playing the game.  The fuel pump was priming.

Came back, stuck it in gear and rocked it back and forth to turn the gearbox and engine a bit.  Maybe the starter was mis-aligned or some such.
Press the button and the starter turned but not much response elsewhere, just cranking.
Checked the fuses and the 30A main was blown.
Refreshed the fuel, replaced the plugs, checked the airfilter etc and it decided to start.

Edit: When I turn it off, there is a groan, squeak noise coming from down there somewhere?  Something is dry but, what?

The ECU warning light stayed on.

I have a note in my book about a 12 minute idle - ECU reset so I did that.  Don't know whether that is correct or not but I used to do the same (6 minutes) on my 690 twice a year and it seemed to run better with the change of weather summer/winter.

Turned it off.  Turned it back on again.  To my ear it did sound to be idling better.

The ECU light stayed on.

Any simple checks before I trailer it 100 miles to the nearest Triumph dealer? :^_^
Take the globe out, perhaps?  :augie

I am going to ring the local Honda/Kawasaki dealer to see if their diagnostic instrument will connect to it. May save me a day away.
cheers
rayb
'73 RD250, '80 XS11, '81 RD350LC,
'96 Steamer - 'Tiger Trek' outfit.
'02 Girly - 'Envy'
"Faster Daddy, Faster!" (aged 7?)

Timbox2

First things first, if the Fault that caused the ECU light to come on has now gone,  it will go off after 3 warm up cool down cycles. Probably down to the 30a fuse being blown.  The groan/squeak is probably the idle stepper motor parking itself, it may get better, 2 years of sitting still wont help. Do the usual safety checks/recommissioning stuff and ride it
2016 Tiger Sport

Tripodtiger

What kind of warning light design is it that stays on once the fault is fixed?  Bloody stupid IMHO.  Will have to see what happens.  I suspect I've started it 3 times since I replaced the fuse but, give it a couple more goes before I get too concerned.

What is the stepper motor?  Where is it? What does it do?  EFI / fuel pump I suppose.
I've gt a factory service manual so I best do some reading.  I have noticed that it is mentioned on this forum a bit.
Reading.
cheers
rayb
'02 Girly - 'Envy'

JoeDirt

You might have some "error codes" stored on the ECU. Run TuneECU and find out if there are any error codes before going to far.

Go to this forum thread on TuneECU: http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,8852.0.html

... and get a cable to look at error codes.

Tripodtiger

All this electrickery is too much for my brain.   :BangHead

Reckon I will leave well enough alone and take it down to Albury.  Thanks for the advice.  I dare say they will not tell me what the problem(s) are or were.  Just take my money.
Maybe I should just go back to carbs - although I am having enough dramas with those bikes too.

cheers
rayb
'02 Girly - 'Envy'

Bixxer Bob

Any reasonable car garage will have an OBD code reader.  Pop along to your local and ask them to have a quick look for you. It'ws simply a matter of plugging their laptop or similar into the OBD plug under your seat.  It's a standard plug so no problems with compatability.   It'll be a lot cheaper than some of the other options, is painless, and you'll know what you're dealing with.  They'll also clear the codes for you so you can see if they are old redundant ones or if they re-occur in which case you'll know what needs fixing.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

VABird

Spend $40 at the autoparts store and get yourself an OBDII code reader. Even those inexpensive will display the codes a lot cheaper than a trip to the shop.
The ride might be fun, but in the great scheme of things, it's the destination that counts.
John 3:16