News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

should I get another Girly?

Started by abruzzi, September 25, 2017, 05:52:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

abruzzi

Ive been out of the tiger world for a long time, but a month ago my two bikes were stolen--a BMW R1150GSA and a KTM950A.  Since I didn't have theft insurance on my bikes, I'm back to zero, and a $10k bike is not going to happen.  I was thinking to start cheap, just to get back on two wheels, and it looks like a 955i Girly usually goes for around $3k.  I remember really liking my old one (a 2003) and thinking for the riding I do it would be well suited--around town commuting most weeks, and once or twice a year a 7 day 2100 mile mostly pavement trip.  Oh, and the occasional dirt road, but nothing too difficult.

It seems most of the aftermarket (what little there was) has dried up, but if I find a properly sorted bike to begin with, thats not too big a deal.  I assume maintenance parts are still easily available from triumph?  Were there any issues that really need to be sorted?  I vaguely remember stator/rectifier issues, but I don't remember exactly what they were?

I know you're all Triumph fans, but with a $3k budget and a desire for a street biased, reliable adv bike, would you go for a Girly, or would you look elsewhere?  Should I swallow my pride, pull a paper bag over my head and get a vstrom?

Ossian

Quote from: abruzzi on September 25, 2017, 05:52:41 AM
Were there any issues that really need to be sorted?  I vaguely remember stator/rectifier issues, but I don't remember exactly what they were?
Fit a Shindengen series reg/rec (see decosse posts elsewhere in the Triumph forums). And check that the rear shock bushes are lubed properly.

HockleyBoy

Still riding my 2nd Girly and with over 100k miles on the clock the only parts that have really caused me any bother are the Regrec and stator as mentioned above and clutch drag (which appears to only be a problem on the 2006 model with the 1050 casings)

I have a similar ride pattern to you, commute every day (80 miles or so) and a few longer rides a year and the Girly does me just fine. So much so that I still have Girly number 1 in the garage and a low mileage engine on the bench to go into it when I get a minute!.

If you can get one with reasonable mileage for a reasonable price I would go for it. Service parts are still readily available.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

abruzzi

The one I'm considering at the moment is a 2002 with 15k miles for $3k.  Its clean and has the three triumph cases, but almost no other accessories.  There is also a 2006 with 25k miles for $3500.  I tend to prefer minimally accessorized bikes because I never really trust that someone else did it right, or made the same choices as I would.  Sadly there is nothing local so most of what I've seen would be a 800-1000 mile fly and ride which would add ~$400 to the effective cost.

Timbox2

The one thing you do want to check on an early Girly is the fuel pipe quick connects, if any are plastic change em, male or female( The males were a recall, the females not)
2016 Tiger Sport

Nick Calne

Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

abruzzi

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/2002-triumph-tiger-955i-northern-utah-3000-00.1249414/

Seems pretty clean, and about 800 miles away.  Perfect for a fly-and-ride. (assuming none of you guys buys it out from under me...)

Sin_Tiger

There's at least one on here who's in that general area and coincidently currently or at least recently been visited by a UK member. I doubt they'd nick it from under you but might be able to have an eyeball before you buy a plane ticket.

Seems at least a fair price and there might be a bit of slack which would ease the cost of travel.

Plain Jane bikes are as you say always a better bet, who spends good money on changing all the fairing screws for purple anodised ones to match the screen and brake hoses, yes really  :icon_rolleyes:

Good luck.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Chris Canning

Drives me nuts when folks as the same question on a forum but the old 955 Tiger has very few skeletons in cupboard the one Tim mentioned is the major one with the female fuel connectors and the charging system has its moments.

Ideally you need some knowledge of Tune ECU or in my case know someone who does for when the stepper gets old.

Just waiting in Barcelona airport to come home after the Aragon GP wishing we had a bike down here :icon_lol:

JoeDirt

I recently went through a similar exercise by looking at buying a Girly with 7k miles, same year, and color. I immediately started making a list of things I would cannibalize from my old girl to the new girl.

- Ironwork
- Skid Plate
- TOR Exhaust
- Panniers
- Shindengen Rectifier
- Aftermarket pegs
- Even my rotors...

The only thing I would gain is a newer engine, some newer bearings and a less scratched up tank. And, when I factor in that I would miss the old girl... I couldn't bare do it. :icon_cry:

abruzzi

Quote from: Chris Canning on September 26, 2017, 10:58:02 AM
Drives me nuts when folks as the same question on a forum but the old 955 Tiger has very few skeletons in cupboard the one Tim mentioned is the major one with the female fuel connectors and the charging system has its moments.

Sorry, didn't see the question asked, and only saw strands of info.  Anyway, since I've been keeping the place afloat for the last decade, I'm allowed to drive a few people nuts.   :hat10

abruzzi

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on September 26, 2017, 10:01:12 AM
Plain Jane bikes are as you say always a better bet, who spends good money on changing all the fairing screws for purple anodised ones to match the screen and brake hoses, yes really  :icon_rolleyes:

Actually, I'd make an exception for purple anodized screws, its stuff that I can't walk back that I don't like.  Like the person that installs an aftermarket can and throws out the stock can, so I have to pay triumphs exorbitant price to not wake up the neighbors.

London_Phil

I'm in SLC with bemusedinsojo, we're nearly at the end of hols though. Where's the bike? I don't have s ADV login, so I'm not seeing the add

abruzzi

Quote from: London_Phil on September 27, 2017, 01:10:29 AM
I'm in SLC with bemusedinsojo, we're nearly at the end of hols though. Where's the bike? I don't have s ADV login, so I'm not seeing the add

Says its in South Ogden, just north of SLC.  He's open to picking my up at the airport for a fly and ride, so mostly, right now I'm just trying to put together the money.  My sailboat sold today for $1k, but the sale of what's left of the BMW fell through.  I've exchanged a few posts with the seller, but until I know I have the money lined up, I don't want to ask anyone for favors (plus, having not been on the board in six years, no one knows me from Adam.)  Also, it if falls through, more will show up, so I'm not too worried.  Here's a pic of the bike (I do kind of love the in-your-face green):

Bixxer Bob

I for one remember you. Good to see you coming back to the fold  :icon_salut:

For the rest of you, the word "Administrator"  under his name is a clue as to how much he's put into this forum in the past.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...