News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

should I get another Girly?

Started by abruzzi, September 25, 2017, 05:52:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

abruzzi

Reno got back to me with pictures of the shock as best as he could take with his cell.  I'm guessing he didn't bother removing the luggage.  It doesn't look aftermarket, and the coil doesn't look cut (the cheap method for lowering)

abruzzi

found this pic online.  The lower one is the 955, the upper is the 885.  The shock is definitely the lower one (interestingly, it makes it look like the easiest way to lower the rear on a 955 is to swap in a 885 shock):

London_Phil

Sitting in SLC airport. Just looking at the green one. To me, it looks like it has a new/ non original starter, and I don't know how the cases are assembled on the Girly, but the sump cover may not be original too??

Chris Canning

Photos show a typical shitty bog stock shock.

Comparing the the two shocks just say the 955 shock is mag wheel shock not wire wheel,put a 885i Shock on a 955 wire wheel it'll be exactly the same.

abruzzi

The blue one in Reno is out of the running.  I forgot how dealerships like to tease you with a come-on price then pile "fees" on top of it.  This particular dealership has $750 in fees (not counting tax, title, and license) on top of the cost of the bike.  I'm still talking to the guy in UT with the green bike, and 95% sure that will be my next bike.  My fallback, if that falls through, is a Buell Ulysses that is local.  I like the Ulysses, and this is a good example, but I'd prefer the Tiger.

Sin_Tiger

Buggers  :cp

The Ulysses is not much fun in traffic and hot.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Chris Canning

WTF has traffic and hot got to do with it  :icon_wink: if you want a tractor go buy a Massey Ferguson.

London_Phil

Quote from: Chris Canning on October 04, 2017, 08:25:33 PM
WTF has traffic and hot got to do with it  :icon_wink: if you want a tractor go buy a Massey Ferguson.

Yeah, cause were not at all biased on the Tiger forum, are we........  :augie

Full Disclosure, I'm a Harley owner.....Had 2 at one point.

2 wheels good....

Chris Canning

Quote from: London_Phil on October 04, 2017, 09:25:51 PM
Yeah, cause were not at all biased on the Tiger forum, are we........  :augie

Full Disclosure, I'm a Harley owner.....Had 2 at one point.

2 wheels good....

I'm not bias towards Triumph I dislike Harley's a perfect example of the 'Kings Clothes' they are a mechanical pigs ear  :icon_evil: one of the great PR cons  if folks like riding and pretending they are what ever fair enough but the bikes are to mechanics what myxomatosis is to rabbits  :icon_biggrin:

abruzzi

mmm, I have this tasty can of worms, now where is my can opener?

Seriously, I'm not a fan of Harley, but thats more that I don't like cruisers or the like.  Nonetheless, the XB series Buells were very nice bikes, and handling was especially great.  They had some foibles--noisy rear cylinder fan when you shut the engine off, a lot of year on your leg, but they were still fun.  It amazes my that Buell got so much more power out of the same engine (reliably) compared to the Sportster 1200: 70 vs 103 hp, 79 vs 84 ft. lbs.

Anyway, the agreement has been reached on the green lightning.  Pickup date will be 10/18--two weeks, then I have a short list of upgrades that I want to do fairly quick:  center stand, heated grips, check the fuel connectors and regulator.  Longer term: better bags, better suspenders, crash bars (I'm a sucker for Thunderbike if I can justify the cost.  The saved my leg once.)

abruzzi

a dumb and simple question, so I'll tack it on the end of this thread.  I can't remember, and I can't find corroborating pictures, but do early 955's (i.e. a 2002) have the powerlet outlet on the left side of the frame, below the tank?  I know the later ones do, but I cant remember with the older models.  If it does I'll throw my powerlet powered air pump, tire spoons, and patch kit in my bag as a safety measure for the fly-and-ride next week.

Linux_Tyro

Quote from: abruzzi on October 04, 2017, 11:44:52 PM
mmm, I have this tasty can of worms, now where is my can opener?

Anyway, the agreement has been reached on the green lightning.  Pickup date will be 10/18--two weeks, then I have a short list of upgrades that I want to do fairly quick:  center stand, heated grips, check the fuel connectors and regulator.  Longer term: better bags, better suspenders, crash bars (I'm a sucker for Thunderbike if I can justify the cost.  The saved my leg once.)

I just logged in this morning after not checking this forum for some time. There are two Tigers on the Two Wheeled Texans forum, www.twtex.com. A 2002 and 2004.  Probably not interested now but you would have to create an account to see the For Sale Section.

Sorry I didn't get here sooner but good luck with Green Meanie. Cool looking bike.

Linux_Tyro

Forgot to say that I have an OEM shock off of my 2006 that has less than 8K miles if you end up needing one. I bought a HyperPro from Sasquatch here on this forum.

Also, Michelin Pilot Road 4 trail tires and the HyperPro shock completely transformed my Tiger. Take a look at them if you need either one.

abruzzi

Thanks.  I'm on day one of my ride home. I'm pretty happy with the condition of the bike, given it's age (not perfect, but pretty darn good.). The bike runs great, though I haven't pushed it too hard. It's got a loping idle, but my recollection was this could be fixed by running the TOR map with the stock can.  I'll try that once I get home and order the tuneecu cable.

Timbox2

Quote from: abruzzi on October 12, 2017, 02:04:30 AM
a dumb and simple question, so I'll tack it on the end of this thread.  I can't remember, and I can't find corroborating pictures, but do early 955's (i.e. a 2002) have the powerlet outlet on the left side of the frame, below the tank?  I know the later ones do, but I cant remember with the older models.  If it does I'll throw my powerlet powered air pump, tire spoons, and patch kit in my bag as a safety measure for the fly-and-ride next week.

Bit late as your on your way, but the outlet should be where you say. Oh yeah, and a bit cheeky but dont forget I have an immaculate Wilbers shock on the shelf at home for this bike :icon_wink:
2016 Tiger Sport