News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

batteries

Started by Spud Murphy, September 27, 2017, 10:48:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spud Murphy

could someone recommend the correct type size ect battery for a 955, I have been getting through batteries at an alarming rate lately, my mechanic has now admitted the battery he has put which has now died is underpowered for the bike.  :cp

So I'm looking for the correct replacement

cheers in advance

Cheers Spud  :thumbsup
WTF am I doing ?

John Stenhouse

Should be the same as the 885i, which is Yuasa YTX 14 BS, but there are other alternatives, Li Ion, are all the rage lately
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Spud Murphy

it has a YUASA 14-BS on at the moment but as I understand it this battery does not have enough umph to turn the bike over repeatedly and it then cause's the plates inside the battery to buckle  :m

I've also been told to ride it more  :mut

cheers Spud  :thumbsup
WTF am I doing ?

HockleyBoy

05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

JoeDirt

Quote from: HockleyBoy on September 27, 2017, 03:01:47 PM
Personally I like these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-Tiger-955i-EFI-T709EN-2006-CTX12-BS-Motobatt-Motorcycle-Battery-Upgrade-/352012439065?epid=2031655922&hash=item51f5938e19:g:HzYAAOSw-3FZIygC

I know there are others that don't but I have never had an issue with one and they are nice and powerful.

Hockeyboy beat me to the punch...  :^_^

Quote from: JoeDirt on April 18, 2017, 02:27:15 PM
I went through two of the lead acid YUSA batteries and I have currently been using an AGM battery with success. AGM stands for Absorbed Glass Mat...

After doing a lot of research I ended up with:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003YMRH70/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Nice article on GEL vs AGM at:

http://www.batterystuff.com/kb/articles/battery-articles/gel-vs-agm.html

We both like the same battery... 2 votes then. :thumbsup

JayDub

This site says it should be a YTX14 BS, but how long is the bike standing unused, and how are you maintaining the battery during its 'downtime'?
i.e. do you have a Optimate/Oximiser/C-Tek etc connected?

https://www.mdsbattery.co.uk/shop/productprofile.asp?ProductGroupID=839&model=Tiger+955cc+02-06&brand=TRIUMPH&departmentName=Motorcycle+Batteries&departmentID=155
"When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened, or not."

John Stenhouse

I guess the question is why is it turning over repeatedly? Mine sits for long periods with a c tek charger on but never fails to start after a short crank.

AS JD says is there a charger attached?

Long term use will mask the signs of a failing battery but if your careful you can tell when it's time to replace it.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

London_Phil

Is the starter cabling/relay/starter OK?? Best battery in the world won't help a poor starter circuit or starter brush issue

Chris Canning

I'd change both the mechanic and battery because neither seem up to the job.

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: Chris Canning on September 28, 2017, 09:45:48 AM
I'd change both the mechanic and battery because neither seem up to the job.

Nail - hammer- head   :ImaPoser :rfl :ImaPoser :rfl :ImaPoser
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Spud Murphy

Bike is used all year round, but due to taking up off roading does stand for periods of time. I put an optimate on it and leave it attached for periods of time.

The day it failed I had stopped a short period of time before to fill up and the bike started fine, then would not start the next time. It was bump started then run fine all the way home some 50 ish miles. Stopped on the drive and then would not start again. A tester was put on it and it was kicking out over 13.5 volts  :m

so will try new battery as recommended on here  :thumbsup

WTF am I doing ?

London_Phil

I think the newer gel/agm and lithium batteries have a tendency to fail fast, with little warning, due to the way there constructed.
Not the lingering death of a wet cell of old.

Chris Canning

And the way one deals with such which has been mentioned many a time on here is don't leave you battery on a tender all the time,because if you do it mask's the real state of the battery.

I learned the hard way  with my  K1200 a few years ago off the tender down to Portsmouth docks and after 175 miles it fell flat on its face,hence why now I put a tender on every now and then I can tell the state of the battery by how long it takes to come to a full charge if it's been standing for a month.

Plus with the battery prices dropping like they have i'm doing 2 years on a battery and if I have the slightest doubt it's in the bin,the only one that seems to defy all the odds is the lithium on my SM that just keeps going,but the Tiger doesn't like e'm because of the Electrex R/R that is on it.

Spud Murphy

new battery on and a 75 mile test ride all seems good  :bowdown

WTF am I doing ?

Bigfeesh

I cycle my several batteries through a 24hr charge every 3 months, all different makes of battery, sizes and bikes. It does show up that sizes counts since the bigger batteries last years while working hard but the smaller types always fail, even after regular charging. What also encourages me to charge for short more controlled periods is as a result of my pal burning down his workshop, losing many uninsured bikes, the fire was started by a battery charger!  :icon_sad:
Tiptop