News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Yay electrical problems...

Started by CaptureTheBeer, November 21, 2017, 09:15:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptureTheBeer

G'day all,

I took my new/old 2003 Tiger (purchased 5days ago) out for an hours run today as part of learning my way around it.  Stopped briefly about half an hour in to put in some earplugs, and then she wouldn't start.  Pretty much no cranking, tried to bump start it but no joy, just sweat.

Luckily the was a nearby auto store to get a replacement battery to get me home, I ran under the assumption that if I'd had enough gibbers to get to there a new battery should have enough to get me back. Expensive option but it worked.

Got home and with the bike running only had 12.1v across the terminals.
Started the fault finding as per the how to guide http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/acatalog/Troubleshooting-3P-PMG-&-RR.pdf.

Reached step 4 and found the RR stator connection to be somewhat cooked(image below).

I'm hoping this is the culprit and not merely a symptom.

The RR is returning ~360mV for step 4, so might still be okay (it looks to be the standard unit).

Just gotta wait until the new battery is re-gibbered by the charger and then I'll crack on with the rest of the fault finding.

Ordering a voltmeter for the bike tonight  :icon_mrgreen:

Cheers Dan

Chris Canning

Mine was the same never seen a UK winters day in its life and still cooked itself.

I did buy a similar new connector but then changed my mind and put separate connections on for each wire and put shrink wrap on.

But i'd Keep a serious eye on the R/R they are notorious for going belly up.

CaptureTheBeer

Thanks Chris,

Certainly not a winters day here (balmy 24°C  :*), can't speak to how the previous owner/s treated her.  The RR looks to be OEM, so I'll watch it carefully and be prepared to cough up for an aftermarket item.

Tried step 5 but couldn't get a reading (multi-meter might be dud, doubt it though), I'll re-terminate the wires this weekend and see.

I'll probably use one of these waterproof connectors rather than the OEM style. https://www.jaycar.com.au/automotive-waterproof-plug-socket-set-3-way/p/PP2112
Just need to check the current coming out of stator prior, as these connectors are only rated to 20amps (I'm assuming per wire, as the value doesn't change between the 2 and the 6 connector).

Cheers Dan

CaptureTheBeer

G'day again

Well the stator is fubar'd (no voltage output on any out the writers), so time to order a replacement.  Any recommendations?

I'll keep testing the RR just to make sure that isn't what fell over first.

Cheers Dan

Bixxer Bob

Hi Dan,  if you are going to do erioous miles in the wilderness, I'd balance the cost of doing the regrec now against the cost of a future breakdown. 

It's well documented (I know cos I wrote a lot of it) that if you only replace one eement you'll be chasing problems around in the future. You're already doing the right things, for peace of mind stator, MOSFET reg rec, battery  and eliminate the connector makes sense.  The job's done, it's done right and you can get on with enjoying the bike. 

While you're on check the 30 amp fuse down the side of the battery box.  Clean and electrolytic grease  :thumbsup
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

CaptureTheBeer

Cheers Bixxer,

New MTP Stator, FH020AA RegRec and voltmeter ordered. When it gets here I'll install it in the sasquatch config, using a maxi fuse holder and 8g wire.

Fingers crossed this should give me trouble free riding for a few years.

Dan

CaptureTheBeer

The new stator arrived from mtp in Germany,  however the new reg rec isn't here yet, so to save myself from boredom I went ahead and started to fit the new stator.  When I removed the old stator it looked to be okay with no scorch masks or other obvious signs of failure, so I put it back in, shortened the shortened the wires by about an inch and spliced them directly to the reg rec. Bike now charging at 13.6v in standard trim and 14.3v with the sasquatch fitted.  :wheel

I'm just going to leave it as is for the time being now and enjoy riding this summer.  The new stator can sit on the shelf until it's services are required.  :icon_mrgreen: Also I don't want to risk out with the old reg rec.

Cheers Dan

CaptureTheBeer

Well the new reg rec arrived and lasted about a month before it decided the battery need 17.8v to charge.  Despite being a big fan of a regular gassing charge for lead acid batteries, I decided that 17.8v was somewhat excessive :icon_lol:. So out it came, it was a flea bay item and worth every penny I paid for it... :Topes

So I've bitten the bullet and forked out $260 AUD for a Compufire 55402 delivered, which falls between the SH775 and SH847 in terms of price.  It also has some good write ups on TriumphRat.  It should be here by Thursday next week,  I'll retire the old stator to the spares box at the same time.  I'm tempted to make a common battery lug for the wires going to the battery as the three lugs per terminal just seems wrong.

On the plus side, all this mucking around with charging systems has left me in good position to fault find the POS charging system in my wife's 2014 Mazda 3.

Cheers Dan

CaptureTheBeer

Well, still awaiting my Compufire 55402....

Amazon said between 7th and 9th of Feb and it's the 8th and it's still Japan; I'm not liking my chances of getting it tomorrow.

Anyway I used the time to replace the old stator with the MTP item and fit it with weather pack terminals.  The old stator looks okay but it I'll relegate it to the parts bin anyway for the time being.

Now the next big question is where to mount the Compufire.  The stock location is pretty sub-optimal so I've come up with a few options:

1. Between the mounting rails for the rear left pillion peg (out in the air, but will require a creative bracket),

2. Left side next to the shock (will get filthy, not ideal for airflow and may limit access to the shock),

3. On top of the gearbox (probably too close to the heat wash off the block), or

4. As per Diod's position from Triumph Rat (looks good but he didn't do a follow up on how it performed there).

Opinions/Advice?

Cheers

Dan

CaptureTheBeer

Well the delivery dates came and went, still no RegRec  :icon_frown:

Hopefully it'll be here Monday.

Despite not having the Compufire here, I went ahead and made a bracket to mount it in the same position as Diod mounted his, firstly mocking it up out of cardboard and then cutting it out of 0.9mm 304 stainless.  While I couldn't find the dimensions of the Compufire on the internet I did find a picture someone had posted with a metric ruler in it, so the rough dimensions are 100mm x 75mm (4" x 3" which ties in with it being an American product).  Note: I finally found a site with measurements and it's 97mm(L)x66mm(W)x43mm(H)

Despite being stainless I've painted it anyway.  Photo's of the finished piece are below, I've also included a PDF template of the bracket I made on RhinoCAD. It's scale locked so it should print fine enough to use as a template YMMV.  You may need to do a bit of grinding to fine tune it.

I've not drilled holes for the Compufire yet as I'm awaiting it's delivery to align it properly.Note: Now that I have measurements I've drilled it to suit.

The two middle holes are to cable tie/hose clamp it to the frame IOT further reinforce it's attachment.Note: There was an error in the cable tie hole placement, I've corrected it in the plate and PDF, just not the photo.

I'll post more photos when the Compufire arrives.

Cheers
Dan

CaptureTheBeer

The Compufire arrived today :wings

I've fitted it and it matched the bracket well (image below).

I've left the cables long at this point, I'll shorten them once I'm sure I've worked out any bugs.

Initial startup and fast idle (~1800 rpm) had it pumping out a steady 14.5v. So all good there,  however when I took the bike for a spin I found the voltage at idle ~1200 rpm, bike warm) had dropped to 12.5v, soon as I blipped the throttle it climbed to 14.5v again. Odd... :^_^  thoughts?

I've double checked all connections and rubbed dielectric grease on them just to make sure it's not something as bone as that.

I've checked the stator output and it's putting out about 20VAC each lead at fast idle, which seems normal.  I'll get the bike warmed up proper tomorrow and check again at warm idle just to make sure.  It could be the mtp stator isn't pushing enough voltage at low idle, hmmm.... I'll pick up another weather pack tomorrow and attach it to the original stator just as a backup.

Edit: Or I'm a dumb :Topes this could be remedied by shortening the leads down from their excessive 1m length. 

Cheers

Dan

Timbox2

Quote from: CaptureTheBeer on February 12, 2018, 11:04:08 AM
The Compufire arrived today :wings

I've fitted it and it matched the bracket well (image below).

I've left the cables long at this point, I'll shorten them once I'm sure I've worked out any bugs.

Initial startup and fast idle (~1800 rpm) had it pumping out a steady 14.5v. So all good there,  however when I took the bike for a spin I found the voltage at idle ~1200 rpm, bike warm) had dropped to 12.5v, soon as I blipped the throttle it climbed to 14.5v again. Odd... :^_^  thoughts?

I've double checked all connections and rubbed dielectric grease on them just to make sure it's not something as bone as that.

I've checked the stator output and it's putting out about 20VAC each lead at fast idle, which seems normal.  I'll get the bike warmed up proper tomorrow and check again at warm idle just to make sure.  It could be the mtp stator isn't pushing enough voltage at low idle, hmmm.... I'll pick up another weather pack tomorrow and attach it to the original stator just as a backup.

Edit: Or I'm a dumb :Topes this could be remedied by shortening the leads down from their excessive 1m length. 

Cheers

Dan

On a Girly Between 12 and 13V DC at idle once warm is fairly normal I think unless youve done the Sasquatch mod, not sure if you have or not?
2016 Tiger Sport

CaptureTheBeer

Cheers Timbox2

I previously had the Sasquatch mod running off the two old reg rec units and when they were working was getting a constant 14.5v at idle.

The Compufire connects directly to the battery posts like the Sasquatch mod, albeit with an inline 40 amp fuse on the positive lead.  However in stock form the Compufire had about a meter of cable on both positive and negative leads so I'm probably inducing some voltage drop there.  I'm just reticent to cut the cable down until I've proven the Compufire is working properly, just in case it needs to be replaced under warranty.

I'll take it for a ride to work today (~35km) each way and see how it performs.  Then look at cutting  or swapping in the old stator.

Dan

Timbox2

Found this website ref testing stators, one of the best plain english explanations/ instructions Ive  seen, not sure what the amp rating of the Girly stator is but it should give you some idea

http://www.cycleelectricinc.com/Diegnosing%20Alternators.htm

PS: Ignore the fact the site seems to be for Hardly Movingsons :icon_biggrin:
2016 Tiger Sport

CaptureTheBeer

Cheers for that.

Two days of running the bike to and from work has had mixed results in charging rate; occasionally at 12.6v, sometimes 13.3v and mostly 14.4v. Odd.

Bike starts fine.

It could be a dodgy connection somewhere.

I'll be away from the bike for the next 6 weeks or so, but when I get back I'll shorten all the leads and see how it handles the change.

Cheers Dan