News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

High revs when starting

Started by Bigyam, November 25, 2017, 09:22:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigyam

Hi all, just a quick question ! When starting from cold and the rpm rises , how long should it be before the rpm drops to normal tick over ? as mine seems to be a very short time about 10 to 15 seconds max at a guess ! most other bikes i have had that are fuel injected  last a lot longer on the high revs before slowly coming down to norm ! 
I am just asking as i can smell fuel when stationary there are no fuel leaks just smells like it' running rich , Thanks  oh it's a 2001 tiger 955i

Chris Canning

Mine was exactly the same for the first 13 years or so from new after putting another stepper motor in it,now starts at 3000 quickly drops too 2000 gradually works its way down down to either 1300 or 1100 depending on how it feels   :icon_rolleyes: takes 2/3 minutes does the same even when warm just quicker.

If you can smell fuel does the bike have the original female fuel connectors.

Timbox2

As Chris says, sounds pretty normal.  In this sort of weather when started from cold it will probably start around 1850 but drop to 1650 fairly quick(Yes 10 or 20 seconds). If youve a warm garage it may start at 1650.
2016 Tiger Sport

Bigyam

Yes i am about to get some female connectors Chris, so i can wip the tank off and check a few things !
thanks for the replies

VABird

I'd think that as long as it stays running smoothly, the sooner that it drops the RPM, the better!
The ride might be fun, but in the great scheme of things, it's the destination that counts.
John 3:16