News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fork Springs?

Started by CaptureTheBeer, December 12, 2017, 05:04:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptureTheBeer

G'day all,

Since I'm waiting for a new reg/rec to arrive I decided to take the opportunity to change the fork oil and grease the front hub as I've got no idea when it was last done (the bike came with no history).  Anyway I dropped the guts out of the right fork and found what looked to be a progressive rate spring, I thought the '03 Girly had a straight rate spring :^_^

While there is some parallax error in the photo, one end is coiled considerably tighter than the other.  Is this the stock item or aftermarket?

The spacer looked pretty standard 36mm OD stainless pipe 186mm long.

Cheers Dan

CaptureTheBeer

Oh yeah,

Also using Penrite Fork Oil 10W as it's almost a perfect match for the specified Kayaba G10S 37.0 vs 37.2 cSt @ 40°C. 

Full synthetic and easily obtained from my local car shop. ~$23AUD per litre.

Cheers Dan

Timbox2

Both my 955 Tigers had  fork spring upgrades by previous owners so Ive never actually seen an OE spring, where it might get complicated is with Oil level and possibly weight as most after market springs will have a different height/weight compared to OE.  OE Fork oil height is 107mm, Wilbers as example 130mm, but same 10cwt, though some have tried 15cwt or a mix (12.5)
2016 Tiger Sport

CaptureTheBeer

Thanks for info
But..... they're already boxed up and back on the bike :icon_biggrin:.

Oh well, I've put the 10wt in with a 107mm air gap, I'll just have to ride out and see.  The old oil was looking a bit of a sorry greyish colour (not opaque though) and visibly different oil levels (should have measured  :BangHead:). So at the very least I've baselined the system and can make adjustments from there.

I also cleaned and greased the front hub and speedo while I had the front off. 

Cheers Dan

Bixxer Bob

You did right matching the Kabaya 10. 

I've posted in the past that fork oil weight is pretty random.  I found an Aussie chart which compares oil by viscosity and matched it that way.  IT massively improved the handling because the previous 10 weight I'd used was far too thin and really showed up as a problem in southern France when the temp was over 40C.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

CaptureTheBeer

Thanks Bob,

I took it for 300km(20-33°C) ride through the local hills (Darlung Scarp, WA) today, nose dive was predictable and the suspension soaked up the bumps well enough.   :rrr
Only broke traction once but that was due to pea gravel on the road (bike didn't take a nap though :icon_biggrin:).  I doubt with my meager bike riding skills that I'll find the limit of the bike soon.

The back end will need some work later this year, particularly as I'm looking at some panniers for it.

Cheers Dan

Bixxer Bob

You can spend serious money on a shock.  I went cheap and got  Hagon but opted for the shorter one and dropped the front 1/2 inch too. Gave me a bit more confidence getting my foot down. It wss still miles better that the original.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

CaptureTheBeer

I'll probably take the Hagon option as well, I'm struggling to justify the cost of a Wilbers shock as it comes in at half the purchase price of the bike.

blacktiger

Quote from: CaptureTheBeer on January 06, 2018, 03:36:53 PM
I'll probably take the Hagon option as well, I'm struggling to justify the cost of a Wilbers shock as it comes in at half the purchase price of the bike.

Be very wary of the Hagon. The bottom "bearing" is actually a bronze bush and they have a habit of seizing up and snapping the end off the shock. You get what you pay for IMO.

Re the forks, I'm one that went slightly stiffer in the oil. I mix 1/2 litre of 10W with 1 litre of 15W in a big bottle to give me a 13.66W. That and a oil height of 100mm give more control and reduces dive on the brakes.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

CaptureTheBeer

More time spent looking for ways to spend future money resulted in two more reasonably priced options for the rear shock.

YSS shock at $375 https://www.wrs.sm/en/shock-absorbers/147695-adjustable-yss-shock-absorber-triumph-tiger-955i-01-06.html

And a HyperPro TR09-0AC at $565 https://www.wrs.sm/en/shock-absorbers/125900-rear-shock-2-reg-hyperpro-triumph-tiger-955i-01-03.html

Whilst neither has a remote preload adjuster I can probably make do with a C spanner and gloves.

The HyperPro is pretty close in price to the Hagon so it'll most likely be between those two.

The YSS troubles me as the manufacturer doesn't list the Tiger 955i in any of its fitment guides and I can't find another supplier to crosscheck.
Edit: Searching a little harder did turn up YSS Thailand with a listing for the Girly. I just needed to Google better. Model number is MZ456-370TRL-11
Well it's all a future me problem anyway (that guy is screwed).

Cheers Dan