News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

no starty help please

Started by Wilky, December 24, 2017, 06:26:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilky

03 Girly, have ignition, hit starter button and nothing, no lights cut out or go dim.
Now I know the switch is ok, tested with meter
Clutch switch bypassed, but tested with meter and is ok.
Pulled out starter solenoid, bridged actuater contacts and solenoid activates.
Have swapped light cut out relay.
Have no ecm fault light, have not checked fault codes.
Have checked all fuses.
Am totally stuffed  for thoughts now

Any ideas anyone

Cheers Wilky
Traveling around Australia on an unlimited time frame with my beautiful wife Diana on our 03 Tigger.

CaptureTheBeer

Is your side stand switch working or bypassed, are you in neutral?

Cheers Dan

Timbox2

As Dan says, and also check Main fuse/Holder on side of battery( If you havent). Think the ECM relay can also cause no start
2016 Tiger Sport

Wilky

Have checked every possible thing I can check, will get some new relays tomorrow because I'm thinking problem is tied into a relay.
Traveling around Australia on an unlimited time frame with my beautiful wife Diana on our 03 Tigger.

Wilky

Folks, is it possible the no starty problem could be in the ecu?
I have replaced replays, checked fuses, checked switches, have done continuity checks through every possible point, all to no avail.

If I can't work it out I am thinking rewiring the the starter button and bypassing every thing else, would this be a feasible thing?

Any ideas folks?

Wilky

The story so far,
I have replaced all the critical relays and tested the rest, I have checked continuity through the whole starting system, so in frustration I have bypassed the complete system and hooked the starter button straight through the battery and solenoid, fused of course.
Interestingly the motor starts instantly now where as before it would wind over numerous times , start, cough and splutter, stall and on the next attempt it would start ok. Still not as good as it does now though.

If any one has some thoughts on it I would love to hear them.
Cheers
Wilky

Sin_Tiger

Changing the relays is good but don't forget the base / holders with the actual connectors and wires which can get in a bit of a state too and are worthy of close scrutiny.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

London_Phil

Am I right in thinking the Girly FI is very sensitive to voltage at ECU?
Have you tried jumping the battery during starting?

Timbox2

2016 Tiger Sport

Wilky

Sin_Tiger, good point re relay bases, something I will look at.

London_Phil, yes they are temperamental with voltage.

Timbox2 no alarm on the Tiger.

Out for a test ride today and everything is working good.

If I ever get to the bottom of the fault I will post what it was.
cheers

John Stenhouse

Only thing I've ever come across is the starter switch which occasionally gives me kittens by not activating when I push the button. takes two or three presses to make a contact and go. It too checks out on a meter.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

JayDub

I've had the same on a couple of past bikes, a squirt of switch & contract cleaner sorts it out.
"When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened, or not."

Timbox2

Think you need to do voltage drop tests on pos and neg circuits, though based on what you have done it would seem to be the pos circuit at fault
2016 Tiger Sport

Wilky

well folks, I have now put the light cut out relay back into my bypassed starting system and it works as it should so I'm leaving it as it is. Thanks for all the thoughts folks.
Cheers Wilky. oh and happy new year to all.

PeteH

By pssing the clutch switch only does the switch, my problem was with the connector further down, only found by belling out the cables to the rats nest behind the headlamp cowl, at least you got it going :nod
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour