News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Bike stalling on downshift.

Started by CaptureTheBeer, January 18, 2018, 12:56:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptureTheBeer

G'day all,

My 2003 Girly has as intermittent habit of stalling on downshift when warm.  It doesn't happen all the time but it's starting to get annoying.  Not forgetting some surging between 2.5-3.5krpm.

So now that I've got a obd2 cable I decided to have a look on TuneECU.

The TuneECU indicates the bike has a 10120 map loaded, the long-term trim looks okay at 4.5% but the IACV stepper is at 117 which seems somewhat high😁.

I have a feeling this Saturday morning is going to be spent  balancing the throttle bodies, replacing vacuum lines and blowing in a fresh map.
Should I go the TOR or stick with the 10120? She's running a stock pipe but kn air filter.

Cheers Dan

CaptureTheBeer

Well today I went deep down the rabbit hole.

Because I had the tank and airbox off I decided to lift the valve cover and check the shim clearences. Well the exhaust shims all checked out however three intake clearences are between 0.06mm and 0.07mm. So I thought I'd whip the intake cam out measure the shims and get new ones tomorrow morning from the local triumph shop.  I followed the haynes book of lies, removed the chain tensioner and guide, and started to undo the camshaft bolts, two stripped torx heads later I'm calling it a night and grabbing a drink :BangHead.

I'm weighing up using an easy out tomorrow on the bolts (noting they're still torqued down) vs reassembling the lot and ordering mustangs shim tool.  I'll probably do the later as I've only got two weeks of riding  left before April.

Cheers Dan

Timbox2

Your not the first to come across this with cam cap bolts, a brand new quality TX bit at exactly 90 degrees is the only chance, and even then................

How many miles she done?

Oh yeah, dont loose the little rubber gasket for the stepper valve, in your climate that could get nasty
2016 Tiger Sport

CaptureTheBeer

Well, I decided discretion was the better part of valour and left the valve shims as is for the moment.  I'll change them next time I'm on leave. 

The bike has just over 53000 miles on the clock.  That rubber gasket for the IACV has seen better days, I'll seal it up with rtv while a order a replacement.

I started balancing the throttle bodies and was having some difficulty, putting a wee bit of atf through number 1 cylinder and making more than a little smoke.  I was able to get them reasonably balanced, but the homemade manometer did froth a bit.  I think I'll order a carbitune just to make sure I get it right.

I saved the old map and loaded 10121 into the ECU.  However I wasn't able to drop the IACV setting to 35 and force an adaption. The bike kept stalling due to low rpm.

I may try again tomorrow taking smaller steps down from 119 and try an adaption at each step.

Anyway it's time for a drink  :occasion14.

Cheers Dan

Timbox2

Ah ok, yeah think my first 955 needed a shim or two around 40k. I had all sorts of issues with the stepper on that 955, not helped in the end by me trying to service it and the thing going ping all round the garage, bought a new one in the end and troubles over, not cheap but could be worse about £60 from memory

The symptoms on that bike was it would start up from cold no problem, then pretty much as soon as I touched the throttle the idle would drop through the floor
2016 Tiger Sport

CaptureTheBeer

I managed to fix the frothing issue in my homemade manometer.  I inserted two 5mmx25mm plastic wall plugs into each hose and it got rid of the frothing completely.   :headbang

Balanced the throttle bodies again this morning and man what a difference it has made, no more popping on engine overrun (well maybe just the occasional one).

I've not been able to get the bike to stall on downshift either since balancing the throttle bodies and sealing up the IACV unit, finger crossed it'll stay that way.

Now to clean it for Sundays ride :rrr.