News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Royal Enfield Himalayan

Started by London_Phil, February 06, 2018, 07:49:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

London_Phil

Anyone tried one of these?
I sat on one at the RE showroom in Watford, and I have to say, its a nice light bike, reminiscent of the Tiger, but lighter.
I know there concerns on the QC at RE, but its very "Tigery" in its feel, and wondered if anyone had ridden one.
I may have a dabble when the weather warms up, just to try it out.

Sin_Tiger

I've bee tempted myself, although there have been many "stories" about warranty issues and how they've dealt with them. Won't put me off having a try when the opportunity arises either.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

tonytiger

Ive only seen them in pictures .There arn't any Enfield Dealers in Durham.

London_Phil

Physically, its a nice, light Mini XC sort of feel.
May well take a test ride, just to compare.

Chris Canning

Quote from: tonytiger on February 10, 2018, 08:10:03 PM

I wouldn't be worrying too much I'm In the countries second city and we don't even a Triumph dealer.  :icon_lol:

tankerman

Road test of sorts in Bike magazine. Good price and compares favourably with the other five bikes tested. Just saying!

Geoff W

Quote from: tonytiger on February 10, 2018, 08:10:03 PM
Yes there is , try North east Motorbikes at Nevilles Cross.
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

tonytiger

Timbox2

Quote from: Chris Canning on February 11, 2018, 09:03:30 PM
I wouldn't be worrying too much I'm In the countries second city and we don't even a Triumph dealer.  :icon_lol:

Ah, but youve got the Factory :augie
2016 Tiger Sport

NKL

Wouldn't call best part of 200kg lightweight and at less than 25hp I imagine it struggles to pull itself along let alone a rider and luggage.
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

98TIGA

Not to engage in "brand bashing", but as a former Royal Enfield (2006 Bullet 500) owner, I'd never own another. Enfields are neat-looking bikes with a lot of charm and character-- they're pleasing to the eye. In my experience, though, the build quality just wasn't there... welds cracked, tolerances were sloppy, the thing leaked like a sieve from virtually every orifice at only 8,000 miles; and the list goes on and on.

I truly believe you get what you pay for with these bikes.
'98 Tiger, '12 Bonneville SE, '91 K100RS

Nick Calne

I had a yamaha tenere, back in the day, with 46bhp and always found it hard to do overtakes and generally keep up with fast cars on open roads.  Loved it but I found it frustrating eventually.  I guess the REH would be similar, works well in town, works ok off road, too slow for A roads?
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

98TIGA

That's certainly the case, Nick. My Bullet had approx. the same horsepower at the rear wheel as the new Himalayan, and I found it difficult to keep pace with traffic on the highway-- dare not take it on the freeway. At 65 MPH, the engine sounded like it was about to take off!

Considering adventure riding consists of as much open highway as it does off-road trekking, I just don't see the Himalayan as a viable option for anyone other than perhaps the weekend warrior. Serious adventure bikers ought to look elsewhere, methinks.
'98 Tiger, '12 Bonneville SE, '91 K100RS

Chris Canning

Quote from: Nick Calne on October 29, 2018, 07:56:42 PM
I had a yamaha tenere, back in the day, with 46bhp and always found it hard to do overtakes and generally keep up with fast cars on open roads.  Loved it but I found it frustrating eventually.  I guess the REH would be similar, works well in town, works ok off road, too slow for A roads?

I've got an XT660X with basically the same motor although I have to say with a few add on's and it absolutely bops along it'll run all day at an inticated 85 and is currently turning into a bit of a superstar, Yamaha decided to stop making them so currently is worth what I paid for it 10 years ago as prices rises whoo hoo  :icon_lol:

Nick Calne

Glad you like it Chris, it was a smashing bike. I just remember riding the thing to Oxford one day from home and thinking farrkkkkkksake as I was buzzed by a stream of Audi Quattro this and BMW Msport that.  Admittedly rush hour on that route is essentially a replication of the autobahn in Southern England, but I came to the conclusion I needed a bit more go.  A thought that led eventually to owning a tiger...
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?