News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

'93 Tiger does an IBA SS1600

Started by 93TigerBill-2016, February 14, 2018, 06:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

93TigerBill-2016

Hi,
I have a mad mate who is a determined IBA rider, and is an IBR finisher.
The IBA has a 'Piston Diversity' challenge whereby the rider must ride a single, twin, triple, four and six-cylinder each for an SS1600 k (that's 1600 km in 24 hours) in a short space of time.
This was the 'triple' ride.  I've de-farkled the 'bike, and it's now a 'Garage Queen', only allowed out for Rallies etc (a number of Concours wins already!).

I've been hors de combat since my 'roo strike at 110kph last April, just getting back into riding as of now.
It needed  the cobwebs blown out anyway!

Here's the Ride Report:
http://forum.ironbutt.org/index.php?threads/easy-tiger-piston-diversity-ss1600k-triple.1996/
'93 Triumph Tiger, Caspian Blue, Blue Engine Cases
132,000 km;  IBA #45911

93TigerBill-2016

The ODO reading should have a "1" in front of it, and it's a pity the 'plate doesn't say '93'!
132,000 km;  IBA #45911

Sin_Tiger

Yes pity about the plate. They just look so right stock and off course in Caspian  :thumbsup

Having done a couple of 1k km days on a pretty stock Steamer I can believe doing that, I did get a bit better fuel consumption but I've noticed it's even better in the UK, I can only assume it's a factor of the temperature and humidity, though I don't run at the same speeds here either, so not cut and dried.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

threepot

Agree with ST. We probably do achieve better mpg in the UK? I averaged 57mpg on my 2k trip from South Wales up to Scotland for the 2014 meet.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Advwannabe

Great report Bill, thanks.

There's a report somewhere around here of when Ed rode his Steamer and I rode my Girly to the 2011 Border run. There was a 2000k day in that run but the Tigers ate it up. Great traveling bikes
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

ssevy

I did 819 miles (1318 km) coming home from Indiana a few weeks ago. It was over 19 hours in the saddle altogether, and most of it was running the slab at 75-85 MPH.
My mental focus was fine because of frequent caffeine intake, but my ass and knees felt like someone had dislocated both of my legs and pulled them through my backside :icon_redface:
It took me about four days to recover, and the bursitis in both shoulders and carpal tunnel in both wrists was the worst it has ever been. Longest ride for me ever, and while it is nice to know that I can ride a long distance if I need to, I really don't want to ever do it again.

My hat's off to you for 1600 km. That is crazy mileage!

I will say that I think the whole iron butt thing is just another expression of OCD behavior. It is sure easy to get locked into a destination or goal and miss the forest for that single tree! At least it can be for me :icon_wink:
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

93TigerBill-2016

Ssevy,

Not my ride, just my 'bike, but I have done an SS1600 km on the Tiger some years ago.

Of course, one doesn't just jump on and ride 'silly' distances without setting up the 'bike, and conditioning oneself to these longer saddle times.
Bike: adjusting footpeg heights (thanks Mustang), seat covers (sheepskin and/or Airhawk), throttle lock, electronics (GPS, two-way radio, 'phone connections), etc.;
Self: working up to longer distances, maximising fuel range (i.e. fewer non-essential stops), avoiding caffeine & alcohol beforehand, and then getting used to recognising fatigue, and what to do about it (be it a coffee break, or a 20/30 minute 'power nap' - or pull the pin on the ride!).

As I couldn't get the fuel consumption down low enough on the Tiger, I acquired another 'bike for LD use, and have since  done an SS2000 km ride in 24 hours - that's my limit, couldn't do it now 'tho!

Bill
132,000 km;  IBA #45911