News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Ignition circuit drops off for a fraction of a second

Started by Tripodtiger, March 08, 2018, 03:41:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tripodtiger

Mine is an '02 955.   I had it out for a few hundred km last weekend and it's developed a momentary failure in the ignition.

To the extent that it has happened, it occurs for a short period after I start the bike.
Not 100% sure, but I think it happens irrespective of in gear or neutral, idle or on the throttle.

Typically, as I move off the ignition will just stop for anything from about 1/10th second to maybe 1/2 second.  Then it will resume.  It may do this a couple of times, it may do it for a kilometre or two.
The engine stops, ECU and temp lights come on - not the oil pressure light - and the tacho and speedo needles both fall.  I've not been quick enough to see if the odometer goes out or not.

I may then ride for a full tank of fuel and it wont do it again.  Until after I stop, get off, let it cool a bit and start it up again.

I found that the positive terminal was fractionally loose and re-tightened both terminals.  The problem did not happen until after our next stop, where it simply died, didn't want to re-start, let go a big backfire and then started and ran.

I am fully anticipating finding a loose connection when I get into it.  I will be applying some dielectric grease as I go but,

does this ring any bells for some other potential issue that has been noted before?

cheers
rayb
'73 RD250, '80 XS11, '81 RD350LC,
'96 Steamer - 'Tiger Trek' outfit.
'02 Girly - 'Envy'
"Faster Daddy, Faster!" (aged 7?)

Chris Canning

It could be absolutely anything but there's a thread on here about me having trouble with mine which sounded very similar and it was the relay under the seat on the right hand side of the frame in the rubber grommet.

Go to World Of Triumph and look at the fiche it's number 30.

Timbox2

As above from Chris, but also check condition of main fuse and holder on side of battery, Green wire going to bottom of ignition switch, and maybe pull the main ECU connectors and have a look at them although in your climate that ones probably unlikely.
2016 Tiger Sport

Tripodtiger

Thankyou  :thumbsup
Not got to it yet, been working on the other things in the garage.  Maybe this afternoon.  Fingers crossed.  I can see lots of disassembly again. :icon_study:
cheers
rayb
'02 Girly - 'Envy'

Tripodtiger

I've checked the fuse beside the battery, it's fine.
The earth on the top of the gearbox was tight and there was continuity.
Battery terminals were still tight...

Did a bit of wire pulling with the ignition on and nothing happened.  Then again, the instrument lights come on so wiggling wires with the engine not running probably isn't going to demonstrate the fault on the instruments, is it. :icon_scratch:

Quote from: Chris Canning on March 08, 2018, 09:11:07 AM
It could be absolutely anything but there's a thread on here about me having trouble with mine which sounded very similar and it was the relay under the seat on the right hand side of the frame in the rubber grommet.

Go to World Of Triumph and look at the fiche it's number 30.

Is this the fiche.  'Electrical equipment - 20.   PFKL1212234  BOOT. RELAY

http://www.worldoftriumph.com/triumph_motorcycle_parts_locator?block_01=&block_02=100059083-0-2&block_03=23772

That's the rubber boot for the relay which is inside.  I assume that's what you're referring to.

It makes me wonder..the relays are identified '5', '7', '8' and '30'.   5 is the indicator relay, 7 is the 'change over' relay  :icon_scratch:  There are 3 x '8' and 1 x '30', yet they have the same part number and price.  Was someone not watching?

Any clue what the 'change over' relay does? :ear

If this turns out to be correct, which relay was it?

and how does one test a relay?

I will add, now that I've remembered, that I have repaired the wiring to the ignition switch previously (on my 900 too  :BangHead).  I may just have to have another look at that.

cheers
rayb
'02 Girly - 'Envy'

Timbox2

Change over relay is I think what I would call Headlight Cut out relay.  The relay that Chris is referring to is the one that clicks off a few seconds after turning off ignition, its one these below,just not sure which:

2016 Tiger Sport