News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fuse 5 blows - it was all going soo well......

Started by AndyT, April 23, 2018, 04:27:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyT

It was all going well, I had mad a mount for the sat nav to tuck it in behind the screen, just above the clocks and then fed the wiring behind the clocks and along the frame and down by the battery and thought I should just piggyback off of one of the fuses to power it, I got the meter out and thought Fuse5 could be a candidate but the fuse blew so decided to go for the sidelight fuse instead, the problem is that now the Fuse5 10amp fuse blows as soon as you turn on the ignition, or if the kill switch is off then as soon as you turn it back on, I've disconnected the fuel pump but that had no effect. I've tried unplugging the ECU and back in again, no effect. I'm dreading the thought that I might have goosed the ECU but clinging to the thought that it could be something else along the way that I may have disturbed the wiring and caused an issue. Has anyone seen anything similar or got any suggestions before I pull everything off and start pulling the wiring apart or worse think about a new ecu (money I don't have) ?? :icon_scratch:
If at first you don't succeed ... then skydiving is not for you :)

AndyT

some more investigation and it looks like its the feed to the fuel pump. When I first got the bike I noticed some rather dodgy looking wiring on the fuel pump feed wires probably from an old alarm and I removed these and made good. I think I will need to replace those wires and go from there. I think I will need to unpick a bit of the loom and get back to unadulterated wire and join the new into there! Wish me luck, I'm going in  :bug_eye

JayDub

"When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened, or not."

AndyT

AndyT

The culprit was the fuel pump wiring and now she runs but... I noticed the charging voltage fluctuate and the wires from the generator were getting hot so the next thing was to investigate this. There, hiding under some insulating tape were three half melted old bullet connectors one of which had the wire hanging on by not many strands. So more new connections and heat shrink later and we are back in business  :wheel