News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

The Ireland Trip

Started by Nick Calne, June 13, 2018, 01:35:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Calne

No one has posted up the ride report of our Ireland trip yet... All still recovering probably.  Here are a few photo's though, needless to say, we had a lot of fun.  Yes, I cheated and went on my Honda.  I have been suitably punished. :pottytrain2

Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

London_Phil

And before anyone asks, that's me, London_Phil, with the broken Tiger..
Check your chain guys.....

BTW Holiday was a blast

bemusedinsojo

I was going to ask if any chains were broken.  :*&*

London_Phil

It would seem I bought a bike from a Triumph dealer fitted with a split link chain......

bemusedinsojo

I'm glad you didn't lose a leg, Phil. It's hard to shift with a peg leg.

GavD

Looks like you had the weather chaps, shame I couldn't get away to join you this year.
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

Timbox2

Nice report, Thanks for sharing, so come on London Phil, spill the beans, not enough slack??
2016 Tiger Sport

London_Phil

Quote from: Timbox2 on June 19, 2018, 08:56:56 AM
Nice report, Thanks for sharing, so come on London Phil, spill the beans, not enough slack??

Long story short, I bought my bike from Carl Rosner Triumph in Croydon, with 12K on the clock. It had what looked like a good condition chain and sprockets, but had a split link in it.
My assumption was that although it probably would be better to have a riveted chain, it was from a dealer, and so it was OK.
It would appear that was wrong, and I either had a poor quality chain on it, or it had been abused in the past.
I didn't get a photo, but it wasn't the split link that failed, but one link a bit further round the chain. One of the side plates failed, and sheared.
Although I had been paranoid about slack and lubrication, I would say the chain was either inadequate, cheap, or had not been lubricated properly in the past.
I think I was lucky that it failed when it did, at the very low speed it did, and the only damage was the plastic front sprocket cover, that got cracked.

Looking for an ebay scottoiler now, but the chain is now a DID quality one, and both sprockets are in good condition, so who knows....

Timbox2

Blimey, fair enough, fortunate indeed, split link? Havent seen one of them since god knows, anyway glad it was a happy ending  :thumbsup
2016 Tiger Sport

mat-tiger1

The majority of the group stayed by Phil's side to give moral support/encouragement/point & laugh. (insert as appropriate) whilst Sin went on a mercy mission to appropriate a chain & tools :icon_salut:
However, one of the group (mentioning no names) forged on ahead (in true Top Gear style) to "inform the hotel of the circumstances"!  :icon_rolleyes: :ImaPoser
All the best, Mat-tiger1. 👍
2021 Tiger 900 RP & 1982 Yamaha XT550 (For old times sake) Bike history:- 2018 Tiger 800 XCA Korosi Red. 2015 Tiger 800 XCX Caspian Blue, 2005 Tiger 955i Lucifer Orange.

Nick Calne

He was off like a shot too!
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

London_Phil

Teamwork...Without everybody doing what they did, I'd have had half a holiday.....

:><  to all..