News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Help please - rear brake pad pin removal...

Started by nik_the_brief, June 16, 2018, 04:07:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nik_the_brief

Hi all.

What is usually a 20 minute job ( replacing rear pads) has proven impossible today. 

All I was looking to do was replaced the worn pads with a new set like I have done dozens of times before.  As usual I went to back off the 5mm Allen key pad pins before removing the caliper but they are stuck. The sockets are slightly chewed because the pins are made of cheese and a 5mm hex socket just rotates in it.  :BangHead

I've gone old skool, and tried hammering an oversized hex socket in there but to no avail.  Took it to my friendly garage who tried the same and applying judicious heat with an oxyacetylene torch but with no luck either.

Just looked at a replacement caliper but they seem to be rare as rocking horse shite and £350!

Have any of you wise people had similar problems and surmounted them?

Nik

Chris Canning

Short of drilling it and fitting a Helicoil I'd contact sprint engineering looks like they have such for £170 or its a waiting game with eBay I seeing the going rate is around £70 looking in completed.

London_Phil

Aren't they fairly common across the Triumph range, with different mountings?

Timbox2

Quote from: London_Phil on June 16, 2018, 06:49:42 PM
Aren't they fairly common across the Triumph range, with different mountings?

If its a cast wheel Girly, which I suspect it is, it isnt that common, the earlier Spoke wheel Girlies used a much more common rear caliper
2016 Tiger Sport

HockleyBoy

I had the problem a long time back and got round it by very careful drilling of the pin before I was able to extract it and then clean up the thread. This will only work if you haven't changed the pin for stainless steel ones!
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport