News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Neat little clock and voltage gauge - suggestions for wiring?

Started by Ossian, May 12, 2017, 05:05:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ossian

I want to fit this on top of the dash as a voltmeter is always useful and the standard clock is useless..
It needs access to a switched positive and a nearby good earth connection. Can anybody suggest a suitable connection point as I really would like this to be possible without taking the tank off or cutting into any part of the loom.

JayDub

Take off the nose fairing and use a meter to find a live from the ignition switch or light circuit. You'll get a more accurate reading if you connect directly to the battery. Though you may not have the option with your unit.
Earth can be any bolt or screw fixed to the frame.
"When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened, or not."

Sin_Tiger

Simplest way is to piggy back it onto the connections for the parking lamps, both positive and negative.

When it comes to mounting it, remember you'll have to demount it from time to time to replace the internal battery. It probably isn't waterproof so another positioning factor. A dab of sheltering grease or even vaseline on the internal battery terminals will make it last a bit longer too.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

I had one of those. It would fill up with water when it rained but never failed.  As soon as it dried out it was good again.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Ossian

With the fairing off, I found an easy connection was to the horn input side and amazingly it earthed happily through the horn mounting bracket, even though that is on the forks which are hardly the ideal earth path. I think it reads a point or so low, but is still doing its' job keeping an eye on generator performance.

Bigyam

Hi,  did you encounter any running problems ?? i too fitted the voltmeter using the horn's power supply went for a ride last night & it seemed ok apart from it kind of missing a beat twice ! But went for a ride today & it wouldn't tick over  ?? kept stalling !! I also serviced it at the same time oil & filter change but can't see why that would alter anything ! Any help would be appreciated Thanks

Ossian

Eventually I gave up on the voltmeter/clock wired to the horn because the meter itself failed. I got a different one

with adjustment buttons accessibly on the front, extended the cable and wired it directly to the battery negative and the switched input to the rear brake , as that is easily accessible.