News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Front brake switch

Started by pit0rz, August 12, 2018, 09:10:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pit0rz

stopped working some time ago, finally got sround to ordering a new one.  looks simple enough.
Removed the old switch, plugged in the new switch and the brake light is on all the time.  :icon_scratch:
Put the old one back on, tail lights appear normal, rear brake switch works as expected.

Any  ideas?  I guess it's possible I got a 'bad' new switch?
I'm not good with the electrical stuff...

Steve P.
2003 955i Tiger
Steve P.
'03 Tiger - Luci

Bigyam

Hi, Not had dealings with the switch myself but could the wires e the wrong way round ?

pit0rz

Tried them each way, this really has me stumped.
Steve P.
'03 Tiger - Luci

Mustang

If the switch is normally open or normally closed will make all the difference in theworld.
What happens with new switch and lights when you squeeze the lever?

pit0rz

With new switch plugged in, the brake light is on until the lever is squeezed, then the light goes back to running lights only.
Steve P.
'03 Tiger - Luci

JayDub

Mustang has given you a hint... (wrong switch?)  :augie :icon_wink:
"When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened, or not."

pit0rz

I guess it's possible, Triumph put the wrong switch in the bag with the right part number... and it looks just like the original (except for the "Made in China" markings on the switch body, packaging says Made in Japan"
Steve P.
'03 Tiger - Luci

Mustang

You have a normally closed switch
YOU NEED a normally open switch

pit0rz

Yea, I get that but we're talking OEM parts here
Steve P.
'03 Tiger - Luci

Mustang

The correct one is probably no longer available and that's a substitute part.....trust me triumph don't have a clue when supplying parts for their own outdated stuff.
Like coolant sensors etc etc

Most likely even if you order a new switch you will get exactly what you have now . The wrong switch.

Mustang

Bike bandit.com
Lists the front brake switch as t2021217
For 15 bucks
I'd go for it

pit0rz

That's the 'new' one that I have.  :nap
Steve P.
'03 Tiger - Luci

Timbox2

Maybe theyve given you a right hand drive switch for UK bikes.

Sorry, I'll get me coat :hat10
2016 Tiger Sport

pit0rz

Well, after a bit of googlin' it seems this switch is used on everything from Triumph Tigers to Hondas and Kawi's and probably much more.  During this revelation I see a note on an ebay'ers ad that says:

"NOTE: PLEASE COMPARE THE PICS SHOWN TO YOUR SWITCH BEFORE ORDERING!
The switch would be NORMALLY CLOSED if you are just holding it in your hand, because the button would be out.
And the switch would be NORMALLY OPEN if you have it properly installed and NOT touching the lever, because the brake lever would be pushing the button in.  And then again, the switch would be NORMALLY CLOSED if you have it installed, and you are pulling in the lever."

So apparently I'm a doofus and I will test this all out as soon as I get home from work.
Steve P.
'03 Tiger - Luci

pit0rz

:m suspicions confirmed, when installed correctly and not just holding it in my hand, the brake lever depresses the switch naturally OPENING the circuit.  When you squeeze the brake lever, the switch is RELEASED closing the circuit and viola!  :qgaraduate

Thanks for your help!
Steve P.
'03 Tiger - Luci