Author Topic: Rear suspension lower shock mount greasing.  (Read 159 times)

November 13, 2018, 09:41:15 PM on

Offline Ossian (OP)

• Tomcat
  • Activity Meter:
    0.44%
I thought it was time to discover the world of pain that is involved in removing the rear shock to check the lubrication of the lower mount. So I have managed to take it apart without removing the exhaust system which the manual states needs to be done as part of the procedure. Well the pin and needle rollers are in decent condition, and there was some grease in there.
I'm thinking that with everything apart - I took the swing arm off to remove the pin on the bench, it might be a sensible idea to put a grease nipple in the end of the shock. Has anybody on here done this, and are there any particular dos and donts to consider ?

November 13, 2018, 09:53:59 PMReply #1 on

Offline Timbox2

• Sumatran Tiger
  • Activity Meter:
    2.22%
How is the grease going to get into the bearing? Think about it.
2016 Tiger Sport

November 13, 2018, 11:24:07 PMReply #2 on

Offline Ossian (OP)

• Tomcat
  • Activity Meter:
    0.44%
Remove needles. Drill right through shock eye and bearing sleeve. Tap thread for nipple. Remove swarf. Screw in nipple. Replace needles and reassemble. Apply grease gun. Should cover it.

November 15, 2018, 05:06:59 PMReply #3 on

Offline Ossian (OP)

• Tomcat
  • Activity Meter:
    0.44%
Well. I've just discovered the first 'don't'
Drilling the eye of the shock is easy through the outer alloy part. Just needs the whole thing to be mounted securely in the drill press. However don't attempt to drill using ordinary HSS bits. They won't even dent the needle roller sleeve.
Now to find a suitable bit...........

December 08, 2018, 09:50:19 PMReply #4 on

Offline Ossian (OP)

• Tomcat
  • Activity Meter:
    0.44%
Well, got it done, but not the straightforward job I was expecting.
I had to take it to a friend who has a very good precision engineering business. He drilled it using a very fine ~1mm diamond tipped (I believe) drill and then tapped the thread in the alloy with a blind end tap. For a belt and braces seal the nipple is also bonded in place with some kind of exotic epoxy.

December 09, 2018, 07:23:56 PMReply #5 on

Offline Ossian (OP)

• Tomcat
  • Activity Meter:
    0.44%
Refitting the shock unit is a helluva faff. The top mounting is almost totally inaccessable and it really isn't a one man job.
However I used my garage crane to lift it into place which made it possible - just.