News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Cracked top box

Started by Spud Murphy, January 05, 2019, 12:47:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spud Murphy

The base of my top box has cracked, can plastic like that be repaired ie welded or is it a case of binning it ? looking for idea's please lads

cheers Spud  :thumbsup
WTF am I doing ?

Mustang

superglue and baking soda
seriously

search youtube

Nick Calne

I know that people weld car bumpers. I wonder if you could do that.

Another option would be to find someone with a hot stapler.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Lee337

Once you've repaired it, be careful what you put in it. I had one disappear off the back of the bike a few years ago with only a couple of kilo in it. The plastic had been weakened by dropping it. Repaired the small crack (around 30mm in length)  & all was fine for around 6-7 months.

I set off for a ride to the nearest beach with camera, kite and a few other bits in the box, but by the time I got to the beach, all I had left was a small piece of the base still attached to the rack.
No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.

Chris Canning

Prices of topbox's i'd Just buy another.

In fact I'm sure I can rummage around and find you a 55L or is that 50? Givi for 80 quid  :icon_biggrin:

Grizzle

Quote from: Lee337 on January 06, 2019, 11:57:39 AM
Once you've repaired it, be careful what you put in it. I had one disappear off the back of the bike a few years ago with only a couple of kilo in it.

What do you mean 'disappeared'? Broke off? Does this happen often?

Lee337

The base broke away from where it was fixed to the base plate, so I lost the topbox & contents somewhere.

Does it happen often? Hard to say, it only happened once to me, but I've heard it happening to others when they put too much weight in their boxes.

I will admit to having a bike chain & lock in mine when I lost it, so it was probably overloaded anyway.
No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.