News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Back to square one!!!!!

Started by Bostedsprocket, January 05, 2019, 07:23:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bostedsprocket

Hi all not posted for a while, mostly due to bike running fine!!!

When I bought my 2001 955i in November it was running fine while riding but the idle was a bag of shit!!! I removed stripped and cleaned the stepper motor and replaced the vacuum hoses with silicone hoses the bike idled fine after but I felt like the silicone route I had taken was a bit of a bodge job, so I digged deep into my pockets and bought the original triumph hoses, I installed them around 2 weeks before Christmas and the bike ran and idled fine, but now its gone back to rough idle and stalling at the lights and roundabouts etc, I reckon the stepper motor must have packed up all together.

Question is, I have noticed that triumph list the stepper motor in 2 parts, the motor itself and then the housing separate, Should I change both parts?

Have to say I have had 3 other triumphs, steamer, sprint 900, and tiger 885i, none of them gave me any shit in years of ownership, but this thing is really starting to piss me off and im quickly falling outa love with it, thanks in advance for any help.
If its got titts or wheels it'll give ya trouble!!!

Timbox2

I would think the Motor is the only bit needed unless you can see any cracks or such like in the housing, give the port the piston goes up and down in a good clean though, and I would order a new gasket where it seals against the airbox and an O ring where the motor goes into the housing. Fowlers have all parts in stock
2016 Tiger Sport

Chris Canning

I'll work backwards I had 2 885i's brand new and i've Posted plenty on here about what I thought about them compared to the 955.

You have bought which frankly at the age it is,is an old banger and anything is possible the moment I saw your post about stripping the stepper thought blimey this is like watching car a crash  :icon_biggrin: although in fairness to you the penny dropped with the vacuum tubes.

As old as the Tiger is it can be an absolute tinker when things go wrong because it's a dam sight more complicated than people think,i've posted plenty on here when my stepper died a death and I fitted a new one and it changed the character of the bike,but i've Just looked on WoT and they only list a complete unit which is what I fitted at £71.

Too this day I have 2 tick overs baring in mind up to the demise of the original stepper it only had one and ran like a Swiss watch ,now it's down to how it feels some times it's 1300 and others it's 1100.

Where things start to get complicated have you balanced the injectors with what? You'll find no mention anywhere but of course number one is what it is and you have to balance the other two too it.

If the tickover is too low then it's Tune ECU and even then it ain't straight forward I bought a cheap and cheerful cable and it was crap and had to buy another,and despite what Bixxer and Tim have posted on here I struggled to get my head around it.

You want to talk Ohlins/Dymags/Beringers compression/rebound blah blah i'm Your man and as I said in another post my solution was a neighbour with a decent lap top and and Tim on loud speaker and even then it's taken a couple of attempts to get it something like.

Bostedsprocket

Hi Chris, the bike to look at is pretty mint in comparison to a lot of others I looked at, I just think its been through a few clueless owners, its not been abused just neglected and bodged, every job ive done on it ive came across things that's really pissed me off ie, I found it had 3 odd spark plugs, the air filter had been dated by the tech that fitted it......that was in 2004!!!! the oil filter and sump plug were so tight I thought I was gonna pull the motor in half removing them, yet on paper- receipts service book etc its got a good history having never missed a service???? 

On the other hand its got some very expensive stuff on it, brand new hagon rear shock with remote res, hagon front springs and new oil, the handling is great, the front hardly dives at all even under hard braking. and the bike is seriously quick for a trail bike, I found it has the triumph tor exhaust too but I don't know what map. my comparison to the 885i I had was merely reliability the 955i is way better in every other way, I work for plantec motorcycles in Dudley so have access to tools bench etc, but im starting to feel like im pulling it apart all the time, I have made my mind up I will replace the stepper motor if that doesn't sort it its for sale!!!! catch ya soon mate.

Chris Canning

First thing first unless you pull that Hagon out on a regular basis it will seize on the bottom sleeve and will snap the bottom of the shock it's common.

Re the stepper put a new one in by all means but if you haven't got your head around Tune ECU it will only be half the job it's the only way to alter the tickover all the stepper will do is give you the consistency Set it up.

Have you bought the cable yet and tried Tune ECU?

Bostedsprocket

ive not got tune ecu, like yourself im not too clued up on that kind of thing, ill have to get somebody in the know to look at it.

I suspect that the plunger in the stepper has come adrift from the base, its self tapping and looked iffy at best last time I was in there, I meant to change it then but a few folk on triumph rat said just clean it and throw it back together so against my better judgment I did, now its back to square one. For some reason i cant post pictures on this site?

Bostedsprocket

Quote from: Timbox2 on January 06, 2019, 09:35:16 AM
I would think the Motor is the only bit needed unless you can see any cracks or such like in the housing, give the port the piston goes up and down in a good clean though, and I would order a new gasket where it seals against the airbox and an O ring where the motor goes into the housing. Fowlers have all parts in stock

Chris mentioned something earlier that's got me thinking, my problem is tick over too low hence the stalling, so do I need a new stepper or is it a job for tune ecu????

Chris Canning

Before you do anything you need one of these and a decent laptop.

https://www.triumphtwinpower.com/ttp-obd-2-usb-cable.php

When you have both either talk to Tim or Bixxer

You will get this which reveals all,I changed the middle coil a while back and only just got round to changing the other two.

Ironically my neighbour who knows sweet FA about bike thinks its great fun tinkering he gets me in and I tell him what to do  :icon_rolleyes:

Timbox2

Quote from: Bostedsprocket on January 06, 2019, 03:53:27 PM
Chris mentioned something earlier that's got me thinking, my problem is tick over too low hence the stalling, so do I need a new stepper or is it a job for tune ecu????

Its difficult to know, when I had my problem the bike would start ok but as soon as I touched the throttle would drop like a stone and cut out. A new stepper cured it, Chris' on the other hand was slightly different.  You really need Tune ECU as sometimes just blowing a new map in can cure stuff like this as it resets all the trims etc.
2016 Tiger Sport

Bostedsprocket

Quote from: Timbox2 on January 06, 2019, 05:54:48 PM
Its difficult to know, when I had my problem the bike would start ok but as soon as I touched the throttle would drop like a stone and cut out. A new stepper cured it, Chris' on the other hand was slightly different.  You really need Tune ECU as sometimes just blowing a new map in can cure stuff like this as it resets all the trims etc.
I understand its a bit like pissing in the wind without tune ecu, where in south wales do you live lol.

Timbox2

Quote from: Bostedsprocket on January 06, 2019, 06:12:30 PM
I understand its a bit like pissing in the wind without tune ecu, where in south wales do you live lol.

In the valleys Boyo, need a passport to get in, they just about tolerate me now. May be able to sort something your way with Chris' help, wont be that soon though at moment
2016 Tiger Sport

Bostedsprocket

Quote from: Timbox2 on January 06, 2019, 07:02:10 PM
In the valleys Boyo, need a passport to get in, they just about tolerate me now. May be able to sort something your way with Chris' help, wont be that soon though at moment
Yeah that would be great, I think ill fit a new stepper motor if only to eliminate it, hopefully it will cure my woes if not ill pick your brains once more mate but thanks for all your help.