Author Topic: 2006 Tiger 955i stock charging system better than 2001-05?  (Read 251 times)

April 09, 2019, 06:29:15 AM on

Offline DeepInTheHeartOfTexas (OP)

• Tiger Cub
  • Activity Meter:
    0%
I've found a handful of articles and forum topics that address the mfg improvements on the 955i from 2005 to 2006, however I am not coming across any information regarding the charging system.  Did Triumph improve/fix the charging system that seems to plague the previous year models?  I keep reading about owner of 2001-05's that added the Sasquach wiring mod, Mosfet regulator and Rick's 40A stator.  I'm NOT running ANY non-stock electrical accessories (phone chargers, GPS, extra lights etc) on my 2006 Tiger.  Should I be concerned?  We only ride on the hard top and our riding is a mix of 85% solo and the rest of the time my wife is with me for weekend trips.

April 09, 2019, 09:08:20 PMReply #1 on

Offline Chris Canning

• Sumatran Tiger
  • Activity Meter:
    1.33%
You can look at it anyway you like but your bike is 13 years old and not getting any younger there is War and Piece about Reg/Rec’s and I would certainly think about some preventative maintenance with a more modern one in fact the one I recently fitted has a Sasquatch mod built in.

The alternative view point Timbox had two 955 Tigers and never had an electrical issue with either.

April 10, 2019, 08:26:12 AMReply #2 on

Offline HockleyBoy

• Cool Cats
  • Bengal Tiger
  • Activity Meter:
    0.22%
Fit a voltmeter and keep an eye on it is the simplest solution.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting)
05 Tiger Caspian Blue
07 GSX-R1000TT K7
71 Triumph T25T

August 08, 2019, 02:20:14 PMReply #3 on

Offline atokad

• Puma
  • Activity Meter:
    0.22%
What HockeyBoy said.  I have an '06 and was concerned as well about the charging system.  I had done the Sasquatch mod at about 8k miles and last year so I had installed a Signal Dynamics Heads Up Voltage indicator (http://www.signaldynamics.com/new-category/), Late last year, 33k on bike now, I was out riding and my Signal Dynamics Heads Up Voltage indicator went from solid green, to flashing red in a heartbeat!  I knew what that meant, something had just gone belly up.  I wasn't done riding for the day, but seeing the HU indicator go to flashing red, I knew I should not shut the bike of at all and rode straight home.  Figured it was going to be the battery all though it wasn't that old and I keep it trickle charged.  Started with TigerTriple to figure out how to get to the stator and diagnosis it.

That was it, bought a new one from Rick's.  Have not replaced the RR yet, but will sometime this year just as a preventative measure and replace the last of the weakest links.  Without the SD HU Voltage monitor, I no doubt would've stopped somewhere and been stranded!!  It's a great device, easy to install, unobtrusive and very stock looking and I put one on every bike now.  I put the one on the Tiger in the upper right section of the dash.  Just requires about a 1/4" hole and is a small LED that pushes into the hole with a rubber grommet.  Excellent voltage monitor! Not representing them in any way other than a very satisfied customer!

August 09, 2019, 05:59:31 AMReply #4 on

Offline Timbox2

• Sumatran Tiger
  • Activity Meter:
    0.22%
You can look at it anyway you like but your bike is 13 years old and not getting any younger there is War and Piece about Reg/Rec’s and I would certainly think about some preventative maintenance with a more modern one in fact the one I recently fitted has a Sasquatch mod built in.

The alternative view point Timbox had two 955 Tigers and never had an electrical issue with either.

I nearly had one on the second bike, noticed volts were a bit down when running. Traced it to one of the reg/rec multi plugs not fully clipped together, took it apart cleaned and reseated, got nearly 1v back :icon_biggrin:
2016 Tiger Sport