News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

2006 Tiger 955i stock charging system better than 2001-05?

Started by DeepInTheHeartOfTexas, April 09, 2019, 08:29:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeepInTheHeartOfTexas

I've found a handful of articles and forum topics that address the mfg improvements on the 955i from 2005 to 2006, however I am not coming across any information regarding the charging system.  Did Triumph improve/fix the charging system that seems to plague the previous year models?  I keep reading about owner of 2001-05's that added the Sasquach wiring mod, Mosfet regulator and Rick's 40A stator.  I'm NOT running ANY non-stock electrical accessories (phone chargers, GPS, extra lights etc) on my 2006 Tiger.  Should I be concerned?  We only ride on the hard top and our riding is a mix of 85% solo and the rest of the time my wife is with me for weekend trips.

Chris Canning

You can look at it anyway you like but your bike is 13 years old and not getting any younger there is War and Piece about Reg/Rec's and I would certainly think about some preventative maintenance with a more modern one in fact the one I recently fitted has a Sasquatch mod built in.

The alternative view point Timbox had two 955 Tigers and never had an electrical issue with either.

HockleyBoy

Fit a voltmeter and keep an eye on it is the simplest solution.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

atokad

What HockeyBoy said.  I have an '06 and was concerned as well about the charging system.  I had done the Sasquatch mod at about 8k miles and last year so I had installed a Signal Dynamics Heads Up Voltage indicator (http://www.signaldynamics.com/new-category/), Late last year, 33k on bike now, I was out riding and my Signal Dynamics Heads Up Voltage indicator went from solid green, to flashing red in a heartbeat!  I knew what that meant, something had just gone belly up.  I wasn't done riding for the day, but seeing the HU indicator go to flashing red, I knew I should not shut the bike of at all and rode straight home.  Figured it was going to be the battery all though it wasn't that old and I keep it trickle charged.  Started with TigerTriple to figure out how to get to the stator and diagnosis it.

That was it, bought a new one from Rick's.  Have not replaced the RR yet, but will sometime this year just as a preventative measure and replace the last of the weakest links.  Without the SD HU Voltage monitor, I no doubt would've stopped somewhere and been stranded!!  It's a great device, easy to install, unobtrusive and very stock looking and I put one on every bike now.  I put the one on the Tiger in the upper right section of the dash.  Just requires about a 1/4" hole and is a small LED that pushes into the hole with a rubber grommet.  Excellent voltage monitor! Not representing them in any way other than a very satisfied customer!

Timbox2

Quote from: Chris Canning on April 09, 2019, 11:08:20 PM
You can look at it anyway you like but your bike is 13 years old and not getting any younger there is War and Piece about Reg/Rec's and I would certainly think about some preventative maintenance with a more modern one in fact the one I recently fitted has a Sasquatch mod built in.

The alternative view point Timbox had two 955 Tigers and never had an electrical issue with either.

I nearly had one on the second bike, noticed volts were a bit down when running. Traced it to one of the reg/rec multi plugs not fully clipped together, took it apart cleaned and reseated, got nearly 1v back :icon_biggrin:
2016 Tiger Sport

VABird

My 2006 Tiger charging system crapped out at about 25,000 miles in 2017.
Here's the fix. 20,000 more miles and no issues.
http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,16276.0.html
The ride might be fun, but in the great scheme of things, it's the destination that counts.
John 3:16

atokad

Well, the Signal Dynamics Heads Up voltage light saved me again last week.  Went into  the not charging, flashing red indicator.  Replace the stock RR this week with the SH847, and yes the dam things is $$$$.   Mounted in in the stock location like VA Bird.  VERY tight fit with the large gauge wires that Jack's sends with the RR.  Had lots of wire routing and trimming and soldering to do to get all the cables comfortably tucked away.  Took me about 4 hours overall for the project, but I am slow and methodical when it comes to wiring.

Seem to be back to charging again with 14.4-14.6v going to the battery.  Hope this puts my charging issues behind me.

HockleyBoy

05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

motoOzarks

Well here I am reading all these old posts about batteries dead, being stranded, and what to do......

thanks for the link
Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i