News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

1 Day 4 countries

Started by HockleyBoy, April 09, 2019, 11:35:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HockleyBoy

On Thursday I realised that the following day was a clear day (no work or family things on) so I booked myself on the 8.25 ferry to Calais on Friday morning.

Set off  from home at about 5.45 for Dover (country 1 England), arrived there about 7.15 in time for a coffee and check in. Boarded the ferry 1st as was the only bike, had the usual fry up and settled in for the trip.

Arrived in Calais (Country 2 France) and from there rode up the coast to Dunkirk where I had more coffee and a look at the beach.

Carried on up the coast to Ostend (Country 3 Belgium) before heading inland for a ride around Bruges. From there I headed out to the coast where I had lunch in Cadzand Bad (Country 4 Holland) which is a nice little Dutch coastal town.

After that I headed back inland to Oostburg before getting a bit lost (satnav gave up) and riding through some small towns and villages. I crossed back into Belgium, eventually picked up a motorway and headed back to France.

Had time to stop at Cite Europe and fill my top box with wine and sweets before heading back to Calais.

Weather was great and the only slight problem was the ferry back was delayed by 45 minutes so I didn't get home until about 9.45. Spent a couple of hours chatting to a friendly Harley rider on his way back from France too before having dinner on the ferry.

All in all a really good day, its funny how the unplanned ones often are!

05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Chris Canning

Fair play to you there's me thinking about using mine either next week to Le-Mans or the NW200 in May with less than half that mileage!!

HockleyBoy

Quote from: Chris Canning on April 09, 2019, 11:02:11 PM
Fair play to you there's me thinking about using mine either next week to Le-Mans or the NW200 in May with less than half that mileage!!

Never really worried about it, shes old tatty and high mileage but used every day which seems to be the key. When they sit around you get more problems. A four or five hundred mile ride never causes any problems.

Shame she's got to go because of ULEZ!
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Geoff W

Regarding ULEZ, contact MAG , Motorcycle Action Group. They are having a  big argument with TFL over older motorbikes and ULEZ, they want to hear from people like you who are directly affected.
You are right about using the bikes frequently, they prefer to be used.
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

HockleyBoy

Thanks Geoff, will drop them a line but any changes they do get will most likely not be in time for me, need a bike I can use very soon unfortunately.

mat-tiger1

Cool trip HockleyBoy!  :icon_cool:  :thumbsup I did a similar trip myself back in 2014.

http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,13783.0.html

Covered a few more countries and a few more miles back then, but often wondered what it would be like to do it again but this time at a little more leisurely pace and actually take the time to explore a little more.  :icon_rolleyes:

Maybe if there's a few like minded guys out there that fancy doing something similar, we could arrange to do a Tigertriple.com European tour one of the days??  :m :icon_biggrin:
All the best, Mat-tiger1. 👍
2021 Tiger 900 RP & 1982 Yamaha XT550 (For old times sake) Bike history:- 2018 Tiger 800 XCA Korosi Red. 2015 Tiger 800 XCX Caspian Blue, 2005 Tiger 955i Lucifer Orange.

HockleyBoy

Quote from: mat-tiger1 on April 19, 2019, 11:20:36 AM
Cool trip HockleyBoy!  :icon_cool:  :thumbsup I did a similar trip myself back in 2014.

http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,13783.0.html

Covered a few more countries and a few more miles back then, but often wondered what it would be like to do it again but this time at a little more leisurely pace and actually take the time to explore a little more.  :icon_rolleyes:

Maybe if there's a few like minded guys out there that fancy doing something similar, we could arrange to do a Tigertriple.com European tour one of the days??  :m :icon_biggrin:

I remember seeing your report, quite a rush to get through 10 countries!

I am sure there are a few that would be interested in a tour or, slightly easier to arrange, maybe meet up for a day trip.

mat-tiger1

Quote from: HockleyBoy on April 23, 2019, 01:52:54 PM
I remember seeing your report, quite a rush to get through 10 countries!

I am sure there are a few that would be interested in a tour or, slightly easier to arrange, maybe meet up for a day trip.

Saw your name in the frame for the Devon meet in June, http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,16713.0.html

Are you still considering it? Maybe we can get others to consider a european adventure while we're there?   :augie
All the best, Mat-tiger1. 👍
2021 Tiger 900 RP & 1982 Yamaha XT550 (For old times sake) Bike history:- 2018 Tiger 800 XCA Korosi Red. 2015 Tiger 800 XCX Caspian Blue, 2005 Tiger 955i Lucifer Orange.

HockleyBoy

I would like to do the Devon meet but not sure yet about work/family commitment. I am down as a "may turn up on the day" at the moment.

Be good to discuss it with the others over a beer or three, always easier to get people to agree to things that way  :icon_lol: