News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

hard working Steamer

Started by Geoff W, May 28, 2019, 05:39:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff W

Was anyone else watching the Giro D'Italia cycle race today? On the big climb of the Motorollo one of the press photographers was sat on the pillion of a Black Steamer.
The Tigger managed to mug the main shot of Vicenzo Niballi doing his breakaway on the big climb. Great to see a twenty odd year old bike still being used professionally :rrr
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

Nick Calne

Good spot Geoff. It is amazing how durable steamers are and how most people who own one are still using it a fair bit.

I did a 300 mile trip on mine round the Brecons the other day and it felt great.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Geoff W

I am just off to Inverness for an overnight trip to see my daughter. I will do a few diversions to take in some nice roads and scenery.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

Geoff W

Well that was 640 miles in two days. New Wilbers rear shock feels great, very stable. Not too happy with the Shoei Hornet helmet, the peak catches the wind too much, gave me a really sore neck with all the fighting it. Realised that now Steamers are old enough for people to come up to you at petrol stops and cafes to say "Ahh I used to have one of those, nice to see one on the road". Including a bloke in a Ferrari 328. I offered to swap him, but he was just too polite to laugh at me.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

London_Phil

I used to have one of those, then some stone cold loser decided that bikes with carbs made him cough, so he priced them out of greater London....

Lee337

Not sure if it's carbs that make him cough, more like Taxi & bus companies together with environmentalists & cyclists who have him by the b***s making him cough.
No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.

Tiger-G

Hi  :icon_biggrin:

I'm a bit late to this thread, but I caught the black Steamer on the Giro. How well is that bike doing, sitting in first and second gear, dragging its sorry @ss up those mountains, clutch slipping, two up, in that heat !!

Great bikes, had two of them when they first came out in 1993 I believe ?? In my opinion, the epitome of what a big dual sports bike should be - big bold looks, great engine, big fuel tank, can put loads of luggage on it, sits at high speeds on motorways to get from A to B, then great on twisties when you get to the fun roads  :icon_wink:

Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

ghulst

Yep, spotted that steamer as well :)
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

Tiger-G

Tour De France coming up soon, there's usually a Tiger on there.

First one to spot one......wins a prize ??
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

ghulst

Well, I didn't spot the steamer, but I did spot a Girly. So, what is my prize? ;)

Tiger-G

Well done, that man  :icon_salut:

I've been watching the Tour, but didn't see the Tiger ??  :icon_wink:

Your prize......should you wish to take it.......is an all expenses paid (by yourself) trip to France to watch the Le Tour in person !! Congratulations   :icon_lol:
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

ghulst

Wow! What an amazing prize! I am well chuffed that you have given me all that...

To be honest, I did ride the 10th stage of last years' Tour de France. Last year that was the first mountain stage with three 1st category mountains, one out of category and one fourth category mountain. And I did it on a road bike. And yes, I would do it again if I had the time to ride L'Etape again this year. ;)

Just leaving this here. ;)

Tiger-G

Good effort mate, I'm knackered after 30 miles on my hybrid !!  :icon_sad:

Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

ghulst

It does take a lot of practice. ;)

I have to say that I have been riding my road bike more than my motorcycle lately.

Tiger-G

Is that what I think it is..........is that "Big Black Steamer" on stage 15 of the Tour De France ??  :icon_salut:
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.