News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Steamer vs Girly

Started by ghulst, July 04, 2019, 11:33:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Canning

Welcome to the 21sr century  :icon_wink: but I have to say your selection of which bike and which injection system leaves a lot to be desired the jap fuel injection on the 1050 is light years in front of the Sagem on the 955.

ghulst

LOL, but how does the FI system om the 1050 compare to the 800?
The 1050 was a looks/purpose thing. I like an allroad bike. I know, it is a bit like a soccer mum driving an SUV as I don't venture offroad daily, but I occasionally do and I just think the 1050 is not the bike to do it on. The Girly and the 800XC seem to be better suited to that.
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

Chris Canning

As someone who all but stopped riding a road bike to race offroad(enduro) for 10 years i'm Always amused when I see heavy road bikes touted as off-road just because they look like they can!!!

Re the difference between 1050/800 i'm Sure someone will be along with info,I never found the actual pure performance between the 955 and 1050 be much of a difference until the last flybywire option the problem with the Sagem system it does what the hell it likes an exact science it ain't.

Despite having both and X/R BM and a KTMGT still enjoy riding my much modded 955 Tiger from a marketing point of view i've Never understood what Triumph are thinking with their current line up but if they ever come up with a big HP triple with 17" wheels i'm In.

ghulst

Quote from: Chris Canning on July 14, 2019, 08:43:17 AM
As someone who all but stopped riding a road bike to race offroad(enduro) for 10 years i'm Always amused when I see heavy road bikes touted as off-road just because they look like they can!!!
Oh, man, this is a point where we should dit down in a pub and we could probably kill hours on the topic. Next time I'm in Birmingham... ;)

But to put it in perspective, I am definitely not an enduro racer. In fact, I have just sold my DR800 because that was just not my bike. I mostly ride on the road, so I might have compared myself to a soccer mom in her SUV at some point. ;) However, in this area we have lots of dams and small roads that are not covered in tarmac and a bike like the Tiger XC allows me to explore those roads. I am not going to take my bike and ride the Hellas Rally. (With my offroad skills, I would probably crash out in the first 10km.) But I at least want to be able to explore whatever road I see. And what I ride could probably be done with a 19", 17" front wheel (or even on Honda's X-ADV scooter), but I am a sucker for the looks of a 21". There, I've said it. ;)

And yes, even during my first ride on a new bike back in '14 I did take it to my definition of offroad. ;)

Anyway, in my case, the first Triumph I ever rode was a Tiger 800XC. Because I liked that, but didn't have the money to buy a new one, I ended up with a steamer. So, I might not have that same view (or dislike) of Triumph's current line-up as you have. ;)

Chris Canning

I bet we'll be in Middleburg(visiting friends) before your in Birmingham  :icon_biggrin:

Have to say i'd Be tempted to suffer a 19" front wheel having seen Timbox's KTM Adventure but for riding on the road a 17" (Michelin RS  :icon_biggrin:) is in my DNA

Timbox2

I have to say, the 19" front came into its own today, came across miles of newly gravelled tarmac with 20MPH max warnings (Danger of skidding it said). I wound it up to 75 and it felt fine, much to the annoyance of a line of Back patch Harleys I passed all crawling along at the advised 20 :icon_biggrin:
2016 Tiger Sport

ghulst

Quote from: Chris Canning on July 14, 2019, 12:51:15 PM
I bet we'll be in Middleburg(visiting friends) before your in Birmingham  :icon_biggrin:
That all depends on when you get to Middelburg. I've sent someone else to do the Birmingham trip this month. ;)

But, if you beat me to Middelburg before I get to Birmingham, let me buy you a beer. ;)

Chris Canning

As work is a four letter obscenity that I no longer use i'll Let you know  :icon_biggrin: oddly enough i'm Trying to drag my Dutch mate and his other half over here for the Stafford Classic show but after they moved from Breda to Middleburg at least makes for a shorter trip for us.

ghulst

And a much nicer area to ride a bike in. ;)

Tiger-G

Quote from: ghulst on July 13, 2019, 10:02:25 PM
(I'm not a fan of the 1050's looks and wheel configuration.)

Well said that man !!  :icon_salut:

It's absolutely criminal what Triumph did to the Tiger when they brought out the abomination that was the 1050. To turn a perfectly good Big Trailie into a road bike overnight is just wrong. As I've said many times before.......could you see BMW turning the GS into a road bike and destroy its heritage as a Big Trailie?? The GS community would be up in arms over it !!  :icon_evil:

And I stand by what I've said before.......whoever was behind the design and implementation of the 1050 at the Triumph factory should have been put up against a wall and shot !!  :icon_evil:
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

London_Phil

And I stand by what I've said before.......whoever was behind the design and implementation of the 1050 at the Triumph factory should have been put up against a wall and shot !!  :icon_evil:
[/quote]

Or Maybe just not called it a Tiger?

Chris Canning

Nothing wrong with the the 1050 apart from the size of the tank and the Last 1050 flybywire was a peach just needed more HP Triumphs mistake is not watching the market Ducati have the Multistrada and BM the X/R and KTM have the GT and the 1290 Adventure and Triumph have thumb up their ass producing what!!!

My Tiger came to life when I took that poxy 19" front wheel off it.

Chris Canning

Quote from: London_Phil on July 15, 2019, 08:36:29 PM

Or Maybe just not called it a Tiger?

And that is typical of the snotty attitude that produced the 1050 forum that ticks over a dam sight better than this one does and looking at the sales of other manufacturers completely out of sync with the market.

London_Phil

I'm a bit lost at the thrust of your comment Chris.

Personally, I think the 1050 is an amazing machine, and if that's what works for you then that's OK.

It was Tiger-G's comment about the shooting of the 1050 designers, and I was just trying to quote it, and suggest its the name that ties it to a line of bikes it really doesn't belong to, imho.

I don't agree with Tiger-G, my point was its not really a Tiger, and had it been called something else, would it have stood on its own merit, and I think it would.

I don't like the style of the Scrambler either, but I'm sure its great, and if that's your deal then I'm not going to accuse anyone of poor design.

Tiger-G

Although we've had this conversation many times before........

You don't make the modern reincarnation of the Triumph Tiger (in 1993) in the guise of a Big Trailie, sell thousands of bikes, build up a following, then turn it into a bloody road bike in 2007 !! It's just wrong.

Then they turn it back into a Big Trailie ??

Showed a total lack of direction, focus and respect at the factory  :icon_evil:

And you're right...........it should never have been a Tiger, it doesn't deserve to wear the badge  :icon_wink:
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.