News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Steamer vs Girly

Started by ghulst, July 04, 2019, 11:33:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Canning

Oh blimey we are going over old ground the difference being Graeme your completely wrong and the sales market proves that the Tiger has never been an off-roader Triumph sold an image and little else unless you consider riding up a farm track off-roading!!!

All the Tigers produced at Hinckley have a road DNA the fact that Triumph put big bars on and a 19" front didn't turn it into anything else apart from a compromised road bike I only found out i'd Only been having half my monies worth till I went 17".

I find it rather ironic that having converted my 955 in 2002 and Triumph built their option 4 years later and Ducati and BMW followed some years later think i'm The one in tune with modern day sales.

If a manufacturer wants to go for an off-road/road like Hondas Africa or the new 700 Yamaha then fair enough but sales are minuscule compared to the big numbers that they are after.

Triumphs mistake is get lost engine wise this 765 will eventually get them back on track pardon the pun but it's all about short stroke engines just hope they don't spend years trying to figure the marketing out but my X/R and KTMGT will more than do for now with a little back from the old 955.

ghulst

Quote from: Tiger-G on July 15, 2019, 12:13:59 PMcould you see BMW turning the GS into a road bike and destroy its heritage as a Big Trailie?? The GS community would be up in arms over it !!  :icon_evil:

Quote from: London_Phil on July 15, 2019, 08:36:29 PM
Or Maybe just not called it a Tiger?
Well, BMW did turn the GS into a road bike and did that quite publicly. They just called it the XR and were done with it. And the punters liked it. Having said that, the XR is not going to outsell the GS any time soon. ;)

Anyway, to get back to another off subject, I rode the 800 today and it had a different problem. It started fine the first time, then when I tried an emergency stop (to see if the bike would run straight), the engine died. When I tried to start it again... Nothing. The battery was dead. We brought out the multimeter and the battery measured 11.8v. After a short bit of charging the Tiger fired up again, but as the engine was running the voltage over the battery was only 8 volts. I am assuming it is just the battery that is dead... But it could be something in the charging system as well. Anyway, it is up to the seller to sort it. ;)
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

London_Phil

Stators do fail, as do Regulator/rectifiers, which are separate on these bikes.
Not a huge problem to fix, but something that does get mentioned regularly on the 800 forums.
Like almost everything, it's not perfect.
Starter motors seem to have  limited life, and have been modified a few times during production.
Main fuse/relay is under the battery, and can suffer corrosion if the vent blocks, and water collects.

ghulst

Thanks Phil. Great to know.

Right now, it is up to the current owner to sort it. And for me to be the patient potential buyer. ;)
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011