News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Basket Case

Started by Lucifer955i, July 16, 2019, 04:53:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucifer955i

Ok, so a couple of weeks back on a ride out with some buddies I noticed, when riding hard, especially coming out of corners and giving it the mandatory handful that the engine/ transmission felt like it was connected to the back wheel via a rubber band, it would wind up and go, similar to the multitronic gearbox in my car.

On further inspection of the clutch cable I accidently found it had frayed quite badly at the engine end, but was hidden by the metal shroud just below the elbow bend. Basically I disconnected both ends for inspection but didn't see the damage until I was reconnecting the cable ends. I pulled on the bottom end to connect to the clutch actuator and an extra couple of centimetres of cable suddenly popped out revealing the true extent of the damage. Ha! Ha! I thought, a new clutch cable is required! That should cure the problem. So I sourced a new clutch cable, I read on here genuine Triumph is the way to go, so that's what I purchased.

I stripped the bike down and removed the tank so I could follow the correct path of the original cable, changed the plugs back to Iridium while I was at it and re assembled everything. Personally the route the cable comes out at the front doesn't look right to me but that's another topic.

So all assembled and out on a jolly I noticed when I just opened the throttle up to say full in 3rd she would pickup and go like the clappers, if however I had to change gear then accelerate hard the rubber band felling came back. So I'm thinking the bike has only done 20k miles in 15 years and I don't know how long the clutch cable has been dragging and the plates are old. So just replace the friction plates and springs!

I ordered a set of EBC CK5589 clutch plates (Which are strangely all the same size) and some EBC Heavy duty springs and set about installing them. That's when the clutch basket case was revealed, I've looked everywhere and cannot find the missing part as per the photo and it looks like it was some time ago, possibly from new as the gaskets appeared to be OEM. Could this be the culprit after all? But if so why now?

Its all back together now, just have to test ride but the bigest pain I wasn't prepared for was the hours I spent removing the old gaskets off the three side casings that have to be removed to get to the clutch. In the end my greatest ally was a putty knife and WD40 after packing out the engine side with microfire cloth's. It took hours!

Probably won't get to test it properly now till the weekend.

Lucifer955i

Well today I got chance to take the Tiger for a 40 mile spin, everything appears to be working fine, getting neutral is a bit of a pain at times, but apart from that everything felt fine, however I've just been browsing Square Deals webpages and discovered that the clutch plates that I had ordered (not from square deals) were advertised as for a 2005 Triumph Tiger 955i. I was supplied with EBC CK series Clutch Kit CK-5589.

I have the 04 Cast wheel Tiger Vin No 209***. According to the Square deals webpage, I should have been supplied with EBC CK Clutch Kit CK-5599 for Vin no 198875 - 287503.

Its a bit late now as it's installed, but does anyone know of any known issues with fitting the earlier clutch friction plates?

Regards

Paul

Timbox2

Think Hockley boy had issues with the EBC clutch kits.  From memory CK5589 is CORRECT for all Tiger 955's until they changed to the later 1050 Engine cases (Normally 06 or 07 Reg). CK 5599 is basically a 1050 Clutch kit. Bottom line is I reckon youve fitted the correct kit. I also think the later clutch has 1 more plate
2016 Tiger Sport

Lucifer955i

Hi, yes I think it was only last week I read a post about a lose clutch cable and which resulted in a couple of clutch changes end result was the 1050 clutch CK-5599. To be honest I'm happy with the clutch I have, but it's early days. The niggle I have is that according to Square Deals info using vin numbers my 04 cast wheel should have the 5599 plus that is the clutch I paid for the 5589 is cheaper so I've been robbed as well (smiley face). I've contacted the seller and I've emailed EBC, so waiting for them to get back to me. At the end of the day I have a chunk of alloy missing from my clutch basket and I'm stressing over an 8 that should be a 9 possibly. If I hadn't fluffed my order on brake slider rubbers I would be none the wiser!

Timbox2

Quote from: Lucifer955i on July 18, 2019, 12:18:35 AM
Hi, yes I think it was only last week I read a post about a lose clutch cable and which resulted in a couple of clutch changes end result was the 1050 clutch CK-5599. To be honest I'm happy with the clutch I have, but it's early days. The niggle I have is that according to Square Deals info using vin numbers my 04 cast wheel should have the 5599 plus that is the clutch I paid for the 5589 is cheaper so I've been robbed as well (smiley face). I've contacted the seller and I've emailed EBC, so waiting for them to get back to me. At the end of the day I have a chunk of alloy missing from my clutch basket and I'm stressing over an 8 that should be a 9 possibly. If I hadn't fluffed my order on brake slider rubbers I would be none the wiser!

Its a cock up, the clutch actually changed on an engine number, not VIN number. Up to engine number 232538 is early clutch (CK5589)
2016 Tiger Sport

Lucifer955i

Hi Timbox2,
You are a star! Of course engine number! The bleeding obvious Doh!
All makes sense now! I should have looked here before,
This is what came out of my clutch basket and virtually the same went back in, ck-5589 doesn't have the A plates, they all the same now instead. Not that I noticed any difference.

https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/6461/tiger-955i-from-vin-198875-to-vin-287503/clutcheng-no-232538

If anyone wants me I'll be in a corner hammering something!