Author Topic: Battery dead from rain  (Read 78 times)

August 10, 2019, 03:47:58 PM on

Offline ArchRider (OP)

• Felis Domesticus
  • Activity Meter:
    0.44%
I rode my 2001 to work one day and it sat in the parking lot through a massive thunderstorm.  When I went to leave, it turned over and away I went.  2-4 miles into the ride home, I can feel a small surging and notice the tachometer has completely dropped off.  Then the speedometer begins to drop from my speed to zero and jumps back up again repeatedly.  I get to a stop light and I can tell that it's lagging like it wants to stall.  I give it a little throttle and it stays running but now the tach and speedo are showing zero even though I'm running, but it's still surging.  A couple of miles later I got stopped up in traffic and the minute I pulled in the clutch, she dies.  I try to restart but it won't even try to turn over.  After pushing it a fair way to get it out of traffic, I got a jump from a power bank my wife brought to me.  I still had to keep the throttle open a bit to keep it from dying again.  I got it home and hooked it back up to the battery tender and now the tender is showing the battery is charged.

I'm figuring I have a short somewhere and the rain made it worse draining the battery to zero.  I have heard that motorcycle are not like cars in the sense that they need the battery more while running and a dead battery will cause a motorcycle engine to stall.  My question for the forum is how do I go about chasing down this short?   :m I've never done this before and don't know where to begin.

August 10, 2019, 04:31:02 PMReply #1 on

Offline Lee337

• Tomcat
  • Activity Meter:
    1.33%
  • nOObie (still)
Not sure if this helps, but these are the same symptoms I suffered when my Reg/rec went & fried the genny on my Blackbird. Different bike I know but the symptoms are likely to be the same for most bikes.

I would check the output from the genny first. Not done this myself on a Tiger, so unable to tell you how, but I'm sure there must be instructions on the forum somewhere if you do a search.

No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.

August 10, 2019, 04:44:55 PMReply #2 on

Offline Lee337

• Tomcat
  • Activity Meter:
    1.33%
  • nOObie (still)
Found this thread when searching. half way down P2 it describes how to check the genny.

http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,11142.15.html
No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.

August 12, 2019, 04:15:08 PMReply #3 on

Offline ArchRider (OP)

• Felis Domesticus
  • Activity Meter:
    0.44%
Thanks, Lee.
I was hoping this wasn;t the case.  I replaced the R/R awhile ago with one far better than the OEM.  At the time, the stator checked out when I performed a voltage check.  I'll have to find someplace where I can pull it apart and check it again.  I no longer have a garage (at least unitl I can gather the funds to build one.)

Not sure if this helps, but these are the same symptoms I suffered when my Reg/rec went & fried the genny on my Blackbird. Different bike I know but the symptoms are likely to be the same for most bikes.

I would check the output from the genny first. Not done this myself on a Tiger, so unable to tell you how, but I'm sure there must be instructions on the forum somewhere if you do a search.