News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Does "waterproof" motorcycle gear exist?

Started by Bostedsprocket, November 09, 2019, 06:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bostedsprocket

Anybody else f***D off with spending £££££ on winter gear just to find the first time you get rained on It leaks? Wiese jacket £175.00 trade should be over £250 leaks on the arms, new boots £125 again trade should of been over £200 less than a week old leak big time, Oxford waterproof over trousers biggest joke yet I was soaked through to my pants!!! my daily commute is less than 15 mile I was soaked by the time I got to work.  :icon_scratch:
If its got titts or wheels it'll give ya trouble!!!

Chris Canning

Wife uses Rukka and I use Klim but our insurance policy comes in the shape of a 2 piece unlined Dainese jacket and trousers.

HockleyBoy

My Rukka jacket is about 7 years old and has covered at least 150kmiles. It has never leaked. Have had the Gorelockout replaced with s ruberised zip and had it reproofed once. Cant remember which one it is but it is Goretex Pro which means the Goretex is part of the shell snd not a zip in liner. Cost around £800 but you get what you pay for.

As far as trousers go I use Alpinestars Drystar, seem to stay waterproof for about 2 years each time, again the drystar membrane is part of the shell not the liner.

Boots, Sidi Adventure, waterproof for first couple of years, damp feet now whatever i do so something new is on the horizon.

I previously tried Oxford overtrousers and also found yhem to be useless
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Timbox2

Like Chris I also have an emergency Dainese over suit, but havent needed it since I went Rukka 3 years ago,  not a drop has got in. Mine still has the Gore Lockout zip which again as Hockley says has been known to give trouble but touch wood mine is still good. Dries quick too. I hear that Dane stuff is about 95% as good as Rukka for 65% of the price.

The main difference between Rukka and KLim is ventilation. If you go Southern Europe a lot in the summer dont buy Rukka, you'll cook. Can get too much for me in the UK some days
2016 Tiger Sport

Chris Canning

Turning into a spectator sport firm... :icon_lol: because when my other half needs a new Rukka god knows what she is going today as Tim said all current have elasticated cuffs around the wrists great on a January's night but at 30c as much use as a hole in the head the current Rukka's ain't particularly vented anyway.

HockleyBoy

Luckily for you, the Rukka stuff seems to last forever, it will probably have been totally redesigned by the time she needs a new jacket!
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Tiger-G

I've just put my 20yr old triumph Adventure jacket in the industrial washing machine and tumble dryer at work........came out shredded in places !!  :icon_sad:

Lesson learnt, take out the protective padding, and looks like it'll be a new jacket for me now. Can't complain after 20yrs of waterproofness from the old one  :icon_wink:
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

Lee337

My Alpinestars boots are around 10 years old & never leaked. I have Hein Gericke jacket & trousers (which I know you can't get in the UK any more) which I got at the same time & never leaked, even on a 160 mile ride in torrential rain, until earlier this year when I re-proofed them. Did a 30 mile run in a downpour a couple of weekends ago & got soaked. Still good for light rain but anything heavy or sustained, I have a waterproof oversuit.

Time for some new kit methinks.
No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.

Nick Calne

Ah, that lovely feeling of being on the bike this time of year and a icy cold finger of water finding it's way in...

I can only recommend fabsil and plenty of it.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Geoff W

Alt -Berg roadrunner boots, warm, dry and comfortable, no matter what the weather. worth a trip to Richmond to get them.
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

Timbox2

Quote from: Geoff W on November 13, 2019, 11:10:44 PM
Alt -Berg roadrunner boots, warm, dry and comfortable, no matter what the weather. worth a trip to Richmond to get them.

+1, I've got the Roadrunner Traveller version, lovely boots.
Had 2 wait 2 months for them to make but was worth it.
2016 Tiger Sport