News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Lights always on

Started by Flapalo, February 05, 2020, 11:37:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flapalo

I got my Tiger from Switzerland and it is set to have lights always on. Due to charging system faults (stator burned twice, now I am changing RR) I would like to gain control of my lights! I want to be able to turn them ON and OFF!
I do have some basic knowledge but I do not know where to start, so please if someone had similar issue let me know the solution?

Thanks!

Lee337

To be honest, I've never had a problem with the lights on all the time.

I believe older Tigers, the ones with spoked wheels have different switch gear which allows you to turn lights on & off, but I may be wrong.

Not really sure what other way to go as I've never really thought about it.

I'm sure someone with more knowledge than me will be along soon with more clue about lights.
No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.

VABird

Although I understand not wanting the  government or some computer making my decisions for me, I've never had a problem with lights on all the time either. Getting older, it's too easy to forget to turn them on before setting out on a ride. I ride with high beams and extra LEDs on during the day because I want to be seen as far away as possible. There is a circuit interruption during starter operation, so that's not a factor.
The only time it ever would be for me is during maintenance or troubleshooting with key on, but it's easy enough to remove the fuse.

In any case, neither of us answered your question, simply offered unsolicited opinions!
:m
The ride might be fun, but in the great scheme of things, it's the destination that counts.
John 3:16

Mustang

Its simply a matter of finding  the power wire that turns the relays on for the headlights.
Add a toggle switch to the wire between the source and the relays .
And if you could source a handlebar switch from an older UK model that had switched headlights it would look like a factory installation

Chris Canning

This is what it looks like on mine you'll have to trawl Ebay UK but I couldn't find one.

Not even sure if this will be the correct one even at that price.

https://www.worldoftriumph.com/partscatalog/catalog/listing/catalog/triumphmc/modelid/23772/block/100059100-1-2/

Timbox2

Quote from: Chris Canning on February 05, 2020, 11:41:22 PM
This is what it looks like on mine you'll have to trawl Ebay UK but I couldn't find one.

Not even sure if this will be the correct one even at that price.

https://www.worldoftriumph.com/partscatalog/catalog/listing/catalog/triumphmc/modelid/23772/block/100059100-1-2/

Looks like they may have superseeded the old switch with the new one, which at least tells you they are interchangeable
2016 Tiger Sport

Chris Canning

I'd also be looking in 885i switch's as well as they will also have the on/off option.

Ossian

Quote from: Chris Canning on February 07, 2020, 06:08:12 PM
I'd also be looking in 885i switch's as well as they will also have the on/off option.
I got one from an 885 , they turn up on ebay from time to time. They were used on other Triumph models of the same period and are a simple straight swap with the standard switch.

Flapalo

Well, I had problems with charging system, so I would like to wire it to turn lights on when system is charging!
I am about to install charging monitor (voltmeter), and would like control of lights! Also I will install fog LED lights to be always on when charging!

Thanks for inputs and replays!

John Stenhouse

I bought one for Stretch in USA from UK dealer, that was ages ago, but it is just plug and play, swap the older switch for the newer one. At that time they were about £85 for the whole handlebar switch gear.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting