News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Nother nubie intro

Started by apache, August 02, 2005, 11:22:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apache

Hey all, just got a 97 Tiger,16500 miles, and wanted to say hello. Also had a few questions for you experts. My kick stand has a bend in it half way down, is this normal? bike leans excessivly on the stand. Is Mobil 1 a must? I used Rotella 5/40 synthitic In my Elefant 900, (Not to start a oil war again) What is normal operating temp per the guage? mine only gets 1/4 way up or so, just to the first mark. anything I should be aware of to bulletproof for long 1K trips in 100+ weather?

Thank you for the tips and info.

apache.

TigerTrax

I think you would find that your '976 calls for 10-40 Semi Synthetic.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

Mudhen

I used Castrol Syntec 5/40 last time I changed the oil in my '96.  It's API grade SL/CF (Haynes says fully synthetic 5/40 or semi synthetic 10/40 motorcycle oil API SG minimum).  Of course, that was only a couple months ago - maybe in a few years I can report in on my results   :)

My bike typically runs at the first/only line on the temp guage...if it's 90+ and I'm in traffic it sometimes gets just above that.  I also find, though, that the cap on my expansion tank doesn't seal - so if I've gone off roading and dropped the bike the coolant leaks out some - then it runs noticeably hotter.  So make sure the coolant is topped up!

You can see the bend in my sidestand in this pic pretty well - I don't really feel the bike leans excessively on it, though:

Pat
\'96 Steamer

abell

Look at a 1996ish Sprint sometime. The sidestands were so short that the bike looks like it's keeling over.
2005 Tiger

2001 Daytona

apache

Thank You for the info. Ive never been a user of synthetics although I know there better. I feel frequent changes do the job. But..... ive been told by several non Triumph dealer people That Triumph has such tight tollerances That synthetic is almost a must be it what ever kind you choose, of course most said Mobil 1 bike oil MH4 or?? whatever it is.

Thanks again.