News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Advrider CroMag Campout Î05

Started by Mudhen, September 17, 2005, 05:12:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudhen

Last weekend was the third annual advrider CroMag campout÷and what a campout it was!  2 pigs, 10 turkeys, 6 kegs, and about 150 riders from all over the US.  The campsite is about 2 hours up the road from me, and not having ridden much this year I was REALLY looking forward to it.  Probably too much.

Anyway, over Labor Day weekend I did a couple minor housekeeping things on the Steamer, and also installed some new tires Ò we always plan for a lot of dirt riding up there so I wanted an ÎedgeÌ over the other big trailies:

Front:  Metzeler Karoo

Rear:  Pirelli MT21

IÌd given them a try and they worked wonders over the TKC-80s that I always use Ò I know they wonÌt last more than 1k miles or so, but I really just wanted them for the weekend.

A few of us rode up Friday morning so we could grab tent sites then hit the trails in the afternoon:

We met a guy from NJ on a KLR that wanted to ride trails, too, so he joined us for some lunch and some pre-ride riding:

I aired down to 25/25, got some gas and we headed to the trails.  These are from the first mud hole that slowed us up÷usually we get lots of opportunity to take water hole pics, but it has been a dry summer:

And here are some from the second one:

I must have been really down in it÷the soupy mud filled the space between the skid plate and the motor:

The next water hole was tricky÷the DR went first, and hit a hole up to the seat.  After scouting it we found a nice path through it that was only about 6Ó deep÷amazing how different things are just a foot or two to one side of the trail or the other:

ÏKLR guys, help the GS guysÓ (only kidding):

After that we decided weÌd had enough and tried to head back to the campsite÷we took a wrong turn, though, and managed to stumble on a whole other set of trails!  Score!  By the time we got back to the campsite we were beat÷just enough energy left for FreeTheBeast and Riccardo to Îfield dressÌ RiccardoÌs GS÷performing a canisterectomy before having dinner:

Dinner the first night÷burgers, dogs, and moosecock:

Post dinnertime÷beer, cigars, and fire:

After all the fun of the first day, I should have headed home.  But I had to push my luck÷

The next morning the people doing the dual sport ride gathered around and got a pep-talk from our fearless leader, NHGS (R100GS), then mounted up and headed out:

We started out on a bunch of fast dirt roads, then to a quick gas stop.  Then onto the trails.  HereÌs our first stop÷can you point out the people that should drink less coffee before a ride?  (not that I wasnÌt one of them÷):

A little bit after this we came over a rise in the trail that dropped off really steep on the other side.  There was a go-around to the right that the DR in front of me took÷but we were moving along at a pretty good clip and the hill dropped off enough that I couldnÌt tell what either really looked like.  A split second decision and I followed NHGS over the top÷.pretty much exactly on his line.  Unfortunately, I must have used too much brake or something÷when I hit the transition between the top rock of the hill and the loose rocks below the front washed out and I went down hard on the right side.

I think it was the first time I dropped a bike where I was trapped underneath it.  The bike was squarely on top of my right boot and I couldnÌt budge it.  Not that I had to wait long Ò a 640 Adventure that was right behind me stopped Ò he actually just dropped his bike and jumped off to help me.  Awful nice of him Ò thanks Crankshaft!  

I hopped back on the bike and coasted lightly down to the bottom of the hill where the trail ended.  The bike didnÌt look too bad÷some rash on the right fairing, handguard, Jack Lilleys, and engine÷and oil underneath.  Argh÷overflow?  Dunno÷never seen it before.  Why is the chain so loose?  Hmm÷somethingÌs not right.  But first some first aid for the rider:

Now for the bike:

I tightened the chain back up÷and was praying the oil wasnÌt anything important since we couldnÌt see where it was coming from Ò anyway, lunch break is just a couple short trails from here÷

Pulled into lunch break and there was a trail of oil behind me.  And the chain was completely loose again.  Lunch break:

And more work on that damn Triumph:

Not having ever taken the side cover off I didnÌt really want to do it with 15 people watching, waiting for more trails÷and luckily NHGSÌ house was only a couple miles away.  So he graciously opened his barn and toolbox to me (and loaned me his car in case I needed anything) and they all left for the remainder of the ride:

Once alone I washed the mud off around the front sprocket cover and took it off (notice the nicely oiled rear tire:

How many pieces are supposed to be in here???

In hindsight IÌm thinking maybe I could have JBWelded it?  Not sure÷but I was only 65 miles from home, so I called in the cavalry÷AAA÷while I was waiting I took a couple pics:

Once that was taken care of and IÌd arranged for my wife to come pick me up the next morning, I commandeered NHGSÌ car and went back up to the campout.  I still needed to get all my gear, and I didnÌt want to miss the party!

A victory cigar for the dummy who let his chain get too loose:

The next morning I gathered up my gear and took the Îwalk of shameÌ÷carrying my stuff out to a car instead of loading my bike back up.  But I guess it could have been a lot worse÷I think IÌll get out of it for a chain/sprocket set, a used front sprocket cover (thanks Baxters!), and all the associated seals and gaskets.

At least I learned a couple things Ò namely to STOP and check if I suspect my chain is too loose÷and to go easy-er on the brakes on really steep, rock strewn hills÷

ADVENTURE!!!
\'96 Steamer

RoadLessTravelled

Nice report Mudhen!  Man, you have a lot of cajones to take that bike down those trails!  You're an inspiration to all of us!

-RITFU!

Speed3guy

Looks like it was a nice ride anyway!  Hope you get the bike up-and-running soon!

Patrick the Scot

Awesome pics!

Where exactly was this? It looks like northern NH?
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Texas Tech Red Raiders - 2008 BIG IIX NCAAF CHAMPS

Mudhen

Quote from: "Patrick the Scot"Awesome pics!

Where exactly was this? It looks like northern NH?

Thanks Patrick.  Sort of north/central...north of Franklin:

\'96 Steamer

Patrick the Scot

Ah, north of Franklin.  I must say I recognized the landscape, as I went through that country quite freguently back in the College days.  In the summer I was living in Hoosick Falls, New York, and would commute to Fryburg, Maine, every weekend to see my fiance. Sometimes, my route over there would take me right through Franklin. Must of the time I went the northern route up to Lincoln and over the Kancamagus Highway then down into Conway. Beautiful country up there.  If it was wasn't for Colorado, I think I would live in northern New Hampshire.  

I must say your report was very comprehensive and well written.  We really enjoyed the pics, also sorry about the damage to the Steamer.  It is fixable, and that is good. It is life; if it doesn't kill you, it will make you stronger.
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Texas Tech Red Raiders - 2008 BIG IIX NCAAF CHAMPS