News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

High Plains of Texas to Southwest Colorado - Aborted!

Started by Patrick the Scot, September 22, 2005, 02:08:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick the Scot

Here's a pic of the Tiger all loaded and ready to roll out at 0500 hours on 9-22-05. I will be going from Lubbock, Texas to Durango, Colorado on Day 1. From there I will let the weather and the intoxicating curves of the San Juan Mountains be my guide.  

I will post a full report next week, complete with pics and maybe video. Does anyone know how to post a video?  I plan to be rolling hi-8 tape on the Million Dollar Highway between Durango and Silverton.  I'm talking 50 miles of thousands of feet of elevation change, continuous peg-dragging corners, and awesome scenery. That would make for some interesting posting if I can get it on the web.
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Texas Tech Red Raiders - 2008 BIG IIX NCAAF CHAMPS

Mudhen

I'm going to pull up a chair, grab some corn and a frosty one...  

I posted some video awhile back and just uploaded it to my Smugmug acct...you have to have the 'power' user acct, though - but the extra money you have to spend is definitely worth it, for us, anyway...

Ride fast/take chances on the trip!

Patrick (#3)
\'96 Steamer

Patrick the Scot

As planned I left at 0500hrs on 9-22-05.  I rolled out of Lubbock headed Northwest. All systems we "GO" for the trip.  The Bike was fueled up, packed up, air checked, oil checked, rad fluid checked, chain cleaned and lubed, etc.  The Wife was ok with the 3-4 day LOA.

However, the trip did not go as planned.  Matter o fact, I barely got started.  I got out of town about 60 miles and it hit me.  I have had a lingering case of food poisoning from a real shitty, yet popular, restaurant here in Lubbock. That was two weeks ago, and I haven't been the same since, internally.  I was not concentrating on the ride, road, or other traffic.  I was thinking and worrying about me guts being all twisted up.  I kept thinking about all the possiblities and the more I thought, the more the comforts of home seemed like a the best thing in times of such uncertainty.  About 80 miles out I turned around and was back at home in bed with the Wife before sun up.

Hey, Colorado has been there since the Dawn of Time, so I figured I would make it up there under better digestive circumstances.

Full ride report to follow, someday
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

kiwitiger

nice photo - what happened to the bloke who was standing on the back of the bike - did you leave him behind at the traffic lights ?? Or was it an Iraqui hitch hiker.??

Tigerpete

I was wondering about that bloke as well, and is that an amo box he left behind or is his lunch still in there. I find that a good dose of imodium seals the old rear exit for 3 to 4 days after after an 'unfortunate' gastronomic experience. Yeah, I know its got to happen some time, but as long as its not during bike time, eh! Look forward to your report when you recover.

Tigerpete

I was wondering about that bloke as well, and is that an amo box he left behind or is his lunch still in there. I find that a good dose of imodium seals the old rear exit for 3 to 4 days after after an 'unfortunate' gastronomic experience. Yeah, I know its got to happen some time, but as long as its not during bike time, eh! Look forward to your report when you recover.

Patrick the Scot

Quote from: "Tigerpete"I was wondering about that bloke as well, and is that an amo box he left behind or is his lunch still in there.

Yes, that is an ammo crate. M60 rounds.  I've found that the ammo crate makes a great water tight storage box.  Much cheaper than the top box from Triumph and much more stylish. If I can fab up the right mounting hardware I am going to replace the Triumph panniers with good old fashioned 50mm rocket boxes. They are water tight and are about the same dimensions as the panniers on a GS 1150 Adventure. Very stylish.

As for the bloke that fell of the back of the bike... I just bungee strapped my Alpinestars on the back for transport until such time as I would need them.  I would agree, they do look funny strapped on there like that.