News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Clutch noise or??

Started by apache, September 28, 2005, 05:11:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

apache

I dont know if this is normal but on my 97 I am getting some clattering noise in neutral with the clutch out, pull it in and it goes away. I would imagine its the basket clattering but is this normal? kinda sounds like a dry clutch Ducati but no where as bad. Shifts fine etc.

BTW, I did a search on starter sprage and came up with nothing?? is this limited to 95/96 only?

Thanks a bunch.

Mudhen

Quote from: "apache"BTW, I did a search on starter sprage and came up with nothing?? is this limited to 95/96 only?

Thanks a bunch.

It's sprag.  And if you don't find it here, check over on Yahoo...lots of info there on it.
\'96 Steamer

NortonCharlie

I have a newer 955 Tiger and mine makes a little rumble with the clutch out in neutral, pull in the clutch and it goes away.  It has been doing it for the last 62,000 miles and stayed the same.  I gave up worrying about it.  

I don't think your noise has anything to do with the starter sprag.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

PeterO

Quote from: "apache"I dont know if this is normal but on my 97 I am getting some clattering noise in neutral with the clutch out, pull it in and it goes away. I would imagine its the basket clattering but is this normal? kinda sounds like a dry clutch Ducati but no where as bad. Shifts fine etc.

BTW, I did a search on starter sprage and came up with nothing?? is this limited to 95/96 only?

Thanks a bunch.

If it was the sprag clutch I don't think you would be complaining about a noise but something much more serious!  The sprag clutch is "part" of the starter motor and when it goes I seem to remember that you can't start the engine (My old steamer suffered this !).

Peter

BR

Apache,

I wouldn't worry about it too much.... likely just your clutch baskt rattliing a little as you say (plus, you've already checked your alternator).  These engines do have a reputation for being a little noisy under normal conditions.  A good carb synch may smooth out your idle a bit and reduce this.

BR

'98 BRG Tiger

Quote from: "NortonCharlie"I have a newer 955 Tiger and mine makes a little rumble with the clutch out in neutral, pull in the clutch and it goes away.  It has been doing it for the last 62,000 miles and stayed the same.  I gave up worrying about it.  

Mine does that. I didn't know whether to worry or not. With 28500 miles on it and yours at over 62000 I won't. Thanks.