News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

A Different Take on Tires/Tyres

Started by ArizonaKid, September 30, 2005, 09:40:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArizonaKid

I've recently mounted a set of Dunlop 607's on my 02 Tiger and thought initial impressions might be useful to some. Usually these tire threads center on the old standards for dual sport bikes (Metzler, Michelin, etc), so thought something different might be interesting. . .

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tirecat ... y.asp?id=5

Dunlop's relatively new (?) dual sport tire is actually designed for those of us who ride off road only occassionally and spend the majority of our time on hard surfaced roads.  As such, the tread pattern is less aggressive and could easily be mistaken for a road tire.  The cross tire grooves are a little more pronounced than your standard road tire, but nothing like the tread pattern of the Tourrance or Anakee.  The biggest difference that I've noticed, after coming off a set of Michelins, is the on road handling of the bike.  Simply put, it's much quicker and much more responsive. . . noticeably so. Cornering and maneuvering seems almost effortless and they seem to stick to the road very well.  Wet handling is untested (by me) as of yet as is the off road handling characteristics, although I'm not expecting much in that category.  So far, however, I'm extrememly pleased with my choice and they seem to be an almost perfect fit to how I usually ride the Tiger.  So, for those of us who spend most of our time on paved roads, the Dunlop 607's are a viable alternative.

[/url]
Arizona Kid

Riding hard and fast down Arizona way

2007 Triumph Tiger

Foxy

Not that new, had them on my Tiger two years ago. A jolly good road tyre too, and not bad life from them. Bearing in mind I replace my tyres when they get down to 3mm of tread (1.6mm being the legal minimum in the UK) I got quite good mileage from them. Each rear lasted about 5000 miles, and the front would be good for a little over twice that. In practice though this makes for a good 2:1 ratio. A beautifully predictable and surprisingly sticky road tyre, the D607s I ran never gave me any concern on road. In the dry they were good enough to confidently push the back out, in the wet I never once found myself leaving pucker marks on the seat. Assuming conditions were favourable I could even ground out the hero blobs in the wet. The more road biased triangular profile let the Tiger turn in alot quicker with no discernable down side. On the road that is. Off sealed surfaces they were very slippy - tackling my unsurfaced driveway was deeply unpleasant during wet weather. They could cope with dry hard packed tracks - but even then not particularly well. No better really then than many road bikes, but atleast the Tiger gives you nice wide bars to try & save yourself with!. Even so I would definitely recommend them - I am sorely tempted to go back to them at the end of my flirtation with Metzeler Enduro 4s.

apache

There were a new set on my 97 when I bought it and was wondering how they compare to others. My primary questions were related to when I took the Pirellis off my Elefant and put on TKC80`s. It was pretty odd handeling for the first 1K miles or so. It was so loose feeling wouldent hold a straight line if you let go of the bars and felt like it wanted to fall over all the time. You guys will laugh at me on this one but on my HD wide glide I can easily at 50mph zig zag thru the dotted lines on the highway, not a chance on the Tiger with the Dunlops. Id be lucky to make every other one. Im not complaning mind you, The tiger is stable as can be at speeds but as it is now its the most "unflickable" bike to date. guess Im just used to riding outdated machines, Damn I miss my 73 Elsinore 250.

BR

I bought a set of these for my '98 Tiger but have not installed yet:

http://two-wheels.michelin.com/2w/front ... 44&lang=EN

(Michelin Pilot Roads)

Found them in the 19" front tire size and couldn't resist (plus I have little opportunity to ride off road).

Will report back on these eventually after I actually start riding it again (but that's another story).

Brendan

'98 BRG Tiger

djr

I've been running Pilot roads for acouple thousand kms now and all I can say is WOW!

If like me you use the bike on road these things make a huge difference. She steers much better, she brakes much better, I have managed to take her to the point of no chicken strips (well I thiink there is still 2mm but near enough given I am touching the hero blobs down at that).

That very low speed shimmy has disappeared the bike holds a better line, overbanding has no effect. Great in the wet. They warm up pretty fast, seem to stay warm but dont get overly hot so hopefully they will last a reasonable time.

Oh yes I found as did some others using them that 2psi below standard seems best.

AndyM

Quote from: "BR"I bought a set of these for my '98 Tiger but have not installed yet:

http://two-wheels.michelin.com/2w/front ... 44&lang=EN

(Michelin Pilot Roads)

Found them in the 19" front tire size and couldn't resist (plus I have little opportunity to ride off road).

Will report back on these eventually after I actually start riding it again (but that's another story).

Brendan

'98 BRG Tiger

Where did you find the 19" Pilot Road? I'm just north of you in Concord and can't find one anywhere.

Andy

ArizonaKid

I buy most of my tires off the internet and mount and balance them myself.  Southwest Motorcycle Tires in Tucson, AZ (do a web search and you'll come up with their site) is a great place to buy tires and customer service has always been great.  Since I'm close they show up on my door step in two days. They also carry a full range of tubes for those of us with pre 05 Tigers.  Highly recommended.
Arizona Kid

Riding hard and fast down Arizona way

2007 Triumph Tiger

zombie

[/quote]

Where did you find the 19" Pilot Road? I'm just north of you in Concord and can't find one anywhere.

Andy[/quote]

Try superdave at www.motorace.com as he has them in stock, thats where mine came from

BR

Andy,

Yes, you can get the Pilot Roads through www.motorace.com but they are also affiliated with www.tireexpress.com and that's who I bought them from.  Probably makes no difference.

Brendan

'98 BRG Tiger

wdkng_24

so everyone talks about pilot roads and anakees and tourances ... does ANYBODY besides me run avons?  just wondering ... i just put them on before going to deals gap and so far i'm in love with them ... was wondering what kind of mileage anyone had gotten with them ... they already so less wear than the dunlop i had on the rear last time ...