News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Coolent turned a brown color

Started by BigDave, October 04, 2003, 12:22:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigDave

I just passed 2500 miles on my '03 Tiger.  The coolent in the expansion tank looks a little brownish.  Is that normal or a reason for concern?  :?:

RedMenace

Niether my 99 Speed Triple nor my 95 Tiger disclored the coolant. Some of the EFI Triumphs were prone to head gasket failure. I don't know if the current crop of Tigers have this problem, but I would suspect oil contamination. Could be nothing, but you probably ought to have it checked.
The Red Menace

BigDave

Jeez don't say that  :(   I don't need another engine problem right now.  I did call the dealer.  One of the guys in servace said he see that quite a bit and unless I am having over-heating troubles or see debris in the coolent, I should not worry.  I am going to call back when the service manager is back & ask him fora second opinion.

RedMenace

Well, I have only seen two bikes, so your guy probably has alarger sample to work with. If your oil doesn't look contaminated and niether coolant nor oil levels seem to be changing, you are probably OK?
The Red Menace

Doug95

Do you have any idea as to whether the bike was actually manufactured in 2002?  I bought my 95 this year, and only 6 months before the previous owner had the coolant changed and the carbs cleaned (received the dealer service invoice with the bike).  There were only 1600 miles on the bike, and after the first couple of times I rode it, the coolant turned brownish.  I flushed the whole coolant system out and drained the oil (for the second time in a month).  4000 additional miles and six months now, and no discoloration or overheating whatsoever.  Still don't know what caused it, but a mechanic friend of mine suggested that perhaps the water/coolant mixture was originally out of balance, and the water rusted a few parts due to the lack of use of the bike.  Seems unlikely, since you would think the corrosion inhibitors in even a small amount of coolant would take care of it, but if the bike sat around awhile full of water-heavy coolant, I suppose it's possible.  (Sure better than a blown head gasket)  :shock:

Doug
If you\'ve never stared off into the distance, then your life is a shame.....

- Counting Crows

BigDave

So here is the update.

No, BigDave does not have a blown head gasket or some crap on the new engine. WHEW!!

The coolent used by my shop is special aluminum block coolent that is PURPLE in color. According to the Service Manager at the dealer, this stuff may look a little BROWNISH, especially in the expansion tank.  He said everthing is A O K!

skoron

Dave:

I have read about your "new" engine.  I would be concerned a bit with the color and would highly recommend the shop look at it.  It could be simple back flushing from the system since it was not factory.  However, I just changed my coolant on the Steamer (3 years and 10,000 miles) and it was still a pretty good green color.  It's not that hard to flush out and replace so maybe spend a short afternoon doing it to see.  Just remember to use silicate free coolant.

Skoron
The ride\'s the thing, travel too fast and you miss the reason.

BigDave

I'll probly go by on Saturday for them to take a peak.

Thanks!

TigerTrax

Take out a sampling and have someone check it out.

I'd find out what coolant is in their and get some answers from the mfr.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'