News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Relay Switch for Heated Grips

Started by ArizonaKid, November 07, 2005, 04:42:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArizonaKid

My heated grips quit working and I think I've traced it to the relay switch that is part of the heated grip wiring harness. I have power to the switch, but can't get power beyond it.  The switch appears to be a standard 5-pin unit with the center pin broken removed. When I opened it up, it was full of rust (water) and wasn't working, so I replaced it with a standard automotive switch from the local auto parts store, but I still can't get power beyond the switch.  Does anyone know if the Triumph OEM switch is unique in some way? Vehicle electrical problems are not my cup of tea, so I'd appreciate any help I can get on this one. . .  Thanks.
Arizona Kid

Riding hard and fast down Arizona way

2007 Triumph Tiger

apache

If your talkin about the relay itsself (little box) typically there avaliable from other sources. Check the pins for #s and compare to what you have replaced it with. if you have power in and a power source to pull the exciter in then you should have power at the grips. Many Bosch units fit various things. Might try an auto parts store also. There typically is a 12v high amp in (from batt or?), also one out to what your running, one ground and a pin for the low draw/amp switch power that pulls in the relay to make it work.

ArizonaKid

Thaks apache.  Yes, the relay switch (little black box) in the wiring harness behind the fairing.  When I bought the new one it appeared to have the same numbers and such on the diagram printed on the side of it. I think I got the right one, but I'm not positive. I can here it open and close when I turn on/off the ignition switch.  It also "clicked" (opened or closed) when I plugged it in with the ignition switch off (?).  But it doesn't seem to do anything when I activate the switch on the "dash board" to turn on the grips.  Should the relay do something when I do that? Thanks.
Arizona Kid

2007 Triumph Tiger

ArizonaKid

Okay, I figured it out.  It was the relay, but I'm having trouble finding the right one. Seems that most of the common automotive types have a different pin arrangement than the "right" one on the Tiger. Guess I'll be forced to go to the dealer.  At any rate, I rehabilitated the old switch for now and my heated grips are once again toasty warm. The one I bought was the wrong one and drained the battery overnight, but all is well now.
Arizona Kid

2007 Triumph Tiger

apache

When possible remount the relays with the pins on the bottom. This way the cover dosent become a trap for water etc.