News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Advrider Smashing Pumpkins Rally

Started by Mudhen, November 08, 2005, 08:20:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudhen

The following pictures are from a dual sport rally I attended last weekend in northern, NH, USA.  Some of the trails are now snow covered÷and there was a thin layer of ice on some of the puddles, so this is about it for the off roading season here.  I only was able to go on Sunday÷.but here are a couple of the pics from Saturday, too, just for fun:

Some of the bikes:

This waterhole had swallowed the ride organizers KTM640 a couple weeks ago÷so of course he brought everyone to try it out:

And today it ÎclaimedÌ an airhead GS (although there was no damage and it restarted after spitting out a bunch of water).  The guy tried to walk it along the edge÷but fell into the main part of the swamp up to his waist÷and the bike was still up on the ridge until he couldnÌt hold it up anymore and it fell over on its side Ò luckily he was able to hold it up and it didnÌt flip upside down into the hole he was standing in!:

Couple others from that waterhole:

Sundays ride was fairly easy÷except for one NASTY section of waterbars.  They were really more ravines cut into the road Ò I never would have attempted them by myself Ò but peer pressure got the best of me and I went for it.  The pictures donÌt really do them justice÷sitting perched up on top looking down at the water/mud below, and thinking about having to drop down into it then rip back up the other side back to the level of the road was just plain scary.  Unfortunately, we didnÌt scout ahead, and after going over 5 or 6 of them and seeing they just kept going, we turned around.  Ugh.

Still nice and clean (at least compared to the GS):

A clear case of Tiger envy:

(of course, 1 minute after this I couldn't start the bike and had to be push started Ò which wasn't easy in the slippery pine needles.  Seems my heated jacket, gloves, grips, and GPS is too much for the alternator)

Couple general trail pics:

And some from the killer waterbars:

Not that way, 640:

Almost there GS:

Nope, not quite:

Success with helping hands:

How itÌs done (DR650÷sheesh÷I donÌt even think thatÌs a real bike):

This guy tried to follow the scaredy cat Tiger around the last ditch Ò I guess I must have dug it up some, because I didnÌt have any trouble÷maybe those 950s arenÌt really meant for off roading÷

I donÌt think thatÌs the angle of a GS that is going to continue on its wheels:

Hey, I was right!  Amazing÷

End of the day and the Tiger is still under its own power Ò and all my repairs after the last ride held up!!  Bonus!  (is it obvious I need longer legs with these new wheels?):

The new wheels are definitely an improvement over stock÷how much remains to be seen.  IÌm going to lower the gearing even more (IÌm currently using a 17 tooth front sprocket) and I think that will make it much better in the rough, more technical stuff.  I seemed to stall it more than usual that day÷

Enjoy!
\'96 Steamer

RoadLessTravelled

Do all tigers only come with one front directional, one mirror and a wobbly front fender?  Oh ya, and what's with the pink rims??  Or is that your wife's bike?  Who's that guy riding it in those pictures?  He looks like an 8 year old!

Just messin' with ya!  You do pretty darn good on that thing.  Obviously not as good as a DR650 but then again the tiger is a street bike not a dual sport.

waltconrad

"Love means never having to say your sorry." Richard M. Nixon.

Mudhen

He's just sore because he has to stop every 11 miles to get gas...

You do pretty good on that DR, too, especially since you haven't had it that long.

Actually, I liked it better when you had the GS, because I could keep up with you, yff...

\'96 Steamer

BR

Hey Mud!

Awesome report as usual... great to see the (admittedly) low tech Steamer out there with all that new stuff and doing fine (even if you did have battery trouble).  You're definitely the North Eastern rep for Steamers!

I wonder if there is a way to turn off your headlights while off road and in the slow going stuff.  Should help to keep your battery alive while powering your accy's.

Regards,

Brendan

'98 BRG Steamer

San Jose, CA

jp4evr

Saw this one on AdvRider - great report - i was waiting for your pics over here once I saw you in the mix.  

How did your wheels workout?  Bike looks awesome!  

I have a question about your set-up that I"m hoping you can help with.  When you selected your rims / hubs, were those stock for another type of bike and you just took a hub-measurement or was the whole set-up custom?  

I"m looking around for salvage triumph parts to have mags for the street and keep my 2000 tiger spoke wheels for nobbies - more strength if my math is correct.  

Thanks.  

eric
2000 TIGER - Current - finally....

2000 TT600 - now my wife\'s ring

1997 CBR 600F2 - sold

1998 Suzuki - Bottom of ravine - Oops!

RoadLessTravelled

Quote from: "Mudhen"He's just sore because he has to stop every 11 miles to get gas...

You sure you want to go there??

Mudhen

Quote from: "RoadLessTravelled"
Quote from: "Mudhen"He's just sore because he has to stop every 11 miles to get gas...

You sure you want to go there??

Uh, no....no I don't...

Good thought, BR - it makes sense to get a switch so I can kill the headlights if I need to.  Are our bikes designed to kill the headlights during startup?  I'm always scared at the thought of the sprag clutch failing when the battery gets low or it takes more than 1 second for it to fire.
\'96 Steamer

Mudhen

Quote from: "jp4evr"When you selected your rims / hubs, were those stock for another type of bike and you just took a hub-measurement or was the whole set-up custom?  

I"m looking around for salvage triumph parts to have mags for the street and keep my 2000 tiger spoke wheels for nobbies - more strength if my math is correct.  

Thanks.  

eric

I picked up a set of used Steamer hubs from Baxters and had them laced with the 18" and 21" rims.  I haven't been around Triumphs long enough to know what may work in terms of aluminum rims.

Thought I rememered seeing something - check out 'Ritchie''s bike - at least it's an idea of what could be possible.  Sad that I posted on that thread about the 18" rim I'd just ordered - and that was February!!!

http://www.triumph-tiger.com/phpBB2/vie ... php?t=1085

I have a bunch of links to bike breakers in the UK, too, if you're interested.  Maybe someone has some Trident rims laying around.

Pat
\'96 Steamer

BR

Hey Pat,

I'm *actually* going to ride my Steamer to work tomorrow... hard to believe.  I'll verify this but I'm sure the headlights come on when the key is ON but turn off when I hit the starter button, then come on again.  This of course is to maximize the battery power going to starter by briefly turning off the dual headlights.  I'll confirm and report back.

Brendan

BR

Hey Pat,

I'm *actually* going to ride my Steamer to work tomorrow... hard to believe.  I'll verify this but I'm sure the headlights come on when the key is ON but turn off when I hit the starter button, then come on again.  This of course is to maximize the battery power going to starter by briefly turning off the dual headlights.  I'll confirm and report back.

Brendan

GatorTiger

Brendan,

You're missing one post... Was three the last time...  :twisted:
Triumph Tiger - The ultimate riding machine! \";-)\"

Know this:  A clean Tiger is a dirty shame!!

jp4evr

Quote from: "Mudhen"
Quote from: "jp4evr"When you selected your rims / hubs, were those stock for another type of bike and you just took a hub-measurement or was the whole set-up custom?  

Thanks.  

eric

I picked up a set of used Steamer hubs from Baxters and had them laced with the 18" and 21" rims.  I haven't been around Triumphs long enough to know what may work in terms of aluminum rims.

Thought I rememered seeing something - check out 'Ritchie''s bike - at least it's an idea of what could be possible.  Sad that I posted on that thread about the 18" rim I'd just ordered - and that was February!!!

http://www.triumph-tiger.com/phpBB2/vie ... php?t=1085

I have a bunch of links to bike breakers in the UK, too, if you're interested.  Maybe someone has some Trident rims laying around.

Pat

I've seen his setup before.  Not sure if I quite want to go that route with fork changes, but he has some good details.  I may just try to find wheels from a salvage steamer or newer.  Trying to keep the costs down or the wife will never let it happen.  

I'm still stoked that she let me get another bike with the baby on the way.

keep ridin' that thing.  Love your ride reports.  Hopefully i'll get one up after this weekend.
2000 TIGER - Current - finally....

2000 TT600 - now my wife\'s ring

1997 CBR 600F2 - sold

1998 Suzuki - Bottom of ravine - Oops!

Mudhen

Quote from: "jp4evr"I've seen his setup before.  Not sure if I quite want to go that route with fork changes, but he has some good details.  I may just try to find wheels from a salvage steamer or newer.  Trying to keep the costs down or the wife will never let it happen.  

I'm still stoked that she let me get another bike with the baby on the way.

Congrats on the new addition!  Our second new addition was one of the big reasons for selling my GS and 'downsizing' to the Tiger.  I can't imagine the money I wasted on that thing...I'm having way more fun tinkering on the Steamer.

When I was watching ebay for Tiger parts wheels seemed to show up about once a month or so...often times in the UK, though, so once figuring the exchange rate and adding shipping they got expensive.  Try Baxters - not sure if they'd have another set laying around but it's worth a shot.
\'96 Steamer

Dick Boyer

Great report. One of the best I've seen.  Man, theres gotta be a way around those mud holes. Can't imagine riding my Tiger though some of those.