News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Bike engine longevity?????

Started by apache, December 08, 2005, 02:42:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

apache

Well this isnt really regarding Tigers but Ive been considering adding an XR 650 L or street legal R model to my collection. Legal XR`s are pretty scarce these days in my parts and hold a high price. Ive always been of the mind set that a single cylinder bike even if ridden conservativle would be had by say 25K. Comfort aside would something like an XR hold up if geared right doing 500 mile days? I realize my arse would be rathe runhappy but.... How long would a thumper go on synthetics and reasonably easy miles? anyone have any examples or bikes for sale cheap :lol:

georover1

QuoteLegal XR`s are pretty scarce these days in my parts and hold a high price

Where are your parts? I have a 650L I'm thinking of selling :D  I've had my '94  for a couple years now and it has never let me down. It will cruise 70 all day but mine is geared more for dirt riding. I'm sure ridden conservatively and keeping it well maintained you should be able to get alot of mileage out of one.

Check out these sites

http://www.angelfire.com/ut/xrlug/

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/xrlug/
Mmmmmm......Beer

\'99 Tiger,

apache

I PM`ed ya about the XR, lets talk.

Thanks.

davensocal

Re: longevity...  They darn things run forever..  

I ditched my first XL500 after about 80K (I think it was a 1979 model).  It was still running, but had a nasty habit of seizing the cylinder at high rpms..  It's OK though, it would release when it cooled a little bit..  The first few moments were a little freaky when you found yourself sliding along at 70mph..  

Ahh, nothing like kick starting a stubborn 500cc single.. My back still hurts.

Next one was a '95 XR650L.  I put about 20K on her in 1.5 yrs, and she was still breaking in (just kept getting smoother)..  I have no doubt she would have cleared 75K.

Hope that helps..

Oh, btw..  Out here in Kali, they were selling street legal KX500s for a while..  Not sure how they pulled that off, but a 2 stroke 500 in the street...  hehehehe..

apache

Thats why Im leary of buying a XR with a duallie kit, They keep changing the laws it seems and at this point I cant really get a straight answer from anyone on registration, not even DMV, I get several different stories. Folks in my area are generally less than motorsport friendly, they`ed rather watch butterflies buzzin around. Sides the electric start on L`s would be swell. Re: your bikes, thats impressive to say the least, make sme feel better about something with higher miles if taken care of.

davensocal

FWIW- in Kali, everytime they change the laws, etc..  they always make it based on a production year.  For example, when they changed the use of 2-strokes in bikes for offroad use, they did something like announce the new law, which will take affect starting with model year....  The new law had no effect on existing motorcycles (except to raise the value of late model two strokers)

In other words, once you have the bike, you should not have any worries.  Most of the registration issues are based on production years, any bikes prior to that are grandfathered.