News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

TKC`s and super duty tubes??

Started by apache, December 18, 2005, 12:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

apache

I recall reading about the thick tubes and heat generated from using them( I think at least) Do you guys see a problem running TKC`s and the super thick tubes Ive seen that felt as if they were 1/4 thick. I recall the TKC`s running pretty warm on my Ducati with thin tubes. I typically run low pressure cause im riding dirt roads but they require 30 miles to get to sometimes. Am I asking for a blow out?  

Stupid question here? why does running say 26 in the rear lead to such quick wear out? seems running 45 will place all the load on the center only and it will wear down quick like. I can see running so low heat destruction becomes and issue but general riding at 25 in fromt and 26/28 in back with Dunlop 609`s ?? trail wings. Ive put 3500 miles and the rear is lookin pretty shabby.

iansoady

Quote from: apacheStupid question here? why does running say 26 in the rear lead to such quick wear out?

Mainly because at low pressures the plies flex when the wheel turns and generate a lot more heat which thene effectively softens the tread.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Mudhen

I run my TKCs between 22 and 25 all the time; loaded/unloaded, cold weather/hot weather...etc.etc.  I always did on my GS and do on my Steamer.  Everyone says it's stupid...but I don't notice the difference - they have a pretty stiff sidewall I guess.  I've put over 30k miles on them that way and I get a heck of a lot more mileage out of them than other people (my last set I got 9500 out of the rear, 16k out of the front).

I don't rip it up in the corners, though...I mainly use my bike to commute to/from work (100 miles/day) and then just to get to the dirt on the weekends.  And I'm probably lighter than most at 150lbs.

Someone said to me once to check it hot/cold and make sure it doesn't heat up more than a few psi.  I did that test this past summer on the Steamer.  It was 85 degrees when I left work and they were 22 front/rear.  I checked it after about 30 miles on the highway at 80mph.  They were 25.

I tried that same test with my MT21s, too...holy crap.  At 25psi by the time I got home they were 34 and I couldn't touch the knobs they were so hot!!  So I run those 35/35 unless I'm hitting the dirt.

Now don't go killing yourself running non-standard tire pressures.  I'm no tire engineer and I'm just relating what has been working for me.  YMMV.
\'96 Steamer

apache

Thats about the pressures I run regardless of what tires im running. My buddie with his 05 GS adventure says he gets about 6K from a rear TKC and 9K from the front. You got some good mileage from yours. I put a set on my Elefant last spring, I weigh 240, had about 60 lbs of junk(me pack rat) and went out to Death Valley where it was 90 +. They seemed to run hotter than the Pirellis but never had any problems. I cant imagine running at 40+ psi and hoping for some decent traction in the twisties where I live. My biggest paranoia is getting a flat in no mans and having to walk 50 miles to get help. :roll: