News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Stop lights

Started by BigDave, October 04, 2003, 06:54:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigDave

I hate it when you go to a stop light & you are the first one there and your bike does not trip the underground trigger to have the lights switch.  What can you do in that situation?  I have actually went over to the pedestrian "press here to cross" button.  Thats probly not the best solution... :roll:

Doug95

I've had to wait for a car to come alongside to trip it.  Otherwise, I generally just ride on thru.......not the hazard it might appear to be here in Nebraska..... :?
If you\'ve never stared off into the distance, then your life is a shame.....

- Counting Crows

RobZ

Quote from: "BigDave"I hate it when you go to a stop light & you are the first one there and your bike does not trip the underground trigger to have the lights switch.  What can you do in that situation?  

I have a light close to me I get stuck at often. I complainet to the city. That was 4 months ago and no action  :roll:

Making a right (if leagal on Red in your state) or the cross walk button are the only leagal options without mods.

Personaly, I do not mind some of the incoveniance. Moztly because the tollway detectors are the same design so I can use the road for FREE  :P

Cache

Quote from: "BigDave"I hate it when you go to a stop light & you are the first one there and your bike does not trip the underground trigger to have the lights switch.  What can you do in that situation?  I have actually went over to the pedestrian "press here to cross" button.  Thats probly not the best solution... :roll:

I believe our intersections use buried metal detectors.  I have success by stopping right over the patch, in all the engine drippings.
\"Ah but fortunately... I have the key, to escape reality\" - John Prine

Green Gecko

http://www.discountbuy.com/greenlighttrigger/

I don't endorse it but I've noticed them popping up on various websites

'02 Green Gecko

BigDave

Quote from: "Green Gecko"http://www.discountbuy.com/greenlighttrigger/

I don't endorse it but I've noticed them popping up on various websites

'02 Green Gecko

OK, has anyone really used one of these?  I guess for $12 its almost worth a roll of the dice.

Pawk

Where in Denver has this been a problem?

I have never encountered this....

Just curious

BigDave

EVERYWHERE in Aurora and the DTC

Homeskillet

I ordered a Greenlight Trigger. I figured it is worth a try and they will refund my money if I don't like it. I will post a report once it get it installed and try it out.
I Would Hope To Tell Thee Thusly

Just to make all you Yanks jealous. We don't have this problem in the UK. Our road loops must be more sensitive.

I used to be healthy and ride a pushbike to work (2 miles) Our loops do not detect push bikes, so I know what you're going through!. But pushbikes are much easier to ride onto the pavement (or should it be "sidewalk" over there?).

Steve Glenn

Might be an ol' wise tale, but try shutting off the bike and starting her back up heard that works.
Regards Steve

TigerTrax

Since 1969.... I run the light.

If I should ever get stopped.... I am well within my rights .... the system was was inoperative and I was reasonable and cautious when I proceeded.

On the other hand.... if I know of an intersection where it is a problem... I try to avoid it. But it just so happens one of these lights is at an interstate exit 4 blocks from my home..... I've run it for 24 years!
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

Homeskillet

Sorry it has taken me so long to post this update. The weather here has been cold and wet, so el Tigre has been staying nice and dry in the garage.

I attached a Green Light Trigger to the frame using the cable tie that came with it. I positioned the small device on the outside of the lowermost tube on the frame - right hand side. I was concerned that the GLT would move around and possibly come off, but after riding a few days It has remained in place and appears to be intact.

I have had reasonably good luck with the GLT and it has worked at MOST of the intersections that gave me trouble in the past. There are a couple places where I doubt that the sensor field is working properly in the first place. The instructions stated that there might be some fields where the GLT will not be detected, but it should work on the majority. So far I am pleased with the product and feel like the money was well spent.

If you are interested in giving one a try here is the URL, you can order it online. It took a couple weeks to get to me (but I had ordered it around Christmas...who knows, you might have a speedier delivery)

http://www.compacc.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=2078 8)
I Would Hope To Tell Thee Thusly

blacktiger

Y'all,

What does this thing look like up-close and personal?

The picture at the Green Light Trigger website makes me think the device is just a common ferrite magnet. I have several on my refridgerator that were originally used to keep maps on the walls at work.  They run  1 to 2 bucks a piece.

Thanks for the input.

BMSBIKE
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.