News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Introduce Yourself!

Started by BigDave, October 04, 2003, 08:09:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldRoadToad

Hello Doug!

Thank you for the welcome!

That which is holding me back (besides money, LOL!) is that I must choose carefully, as I will most definitely not be able to get another bike any time soon after this purchase (so says my loving wife!).

I have looked at the Tiger, a Buell XB9/12S, the new Sportster, and a couple of Guzzis.  I also like the big standards such as the FZ1 (or even the new for '04 FZ6), the Bandit 1200S and the gorgeous ZRX1200.

I tend to favour the unusual, hence my affinity for the Tiger.  Large trail bikes remind me of pregnant guppies gone belly-up (style wise).  I like a bike with a decent fuel tank, triple disc brakes, and good suspension.  As for Sportsters, I have all ways liked them, and think that they look just like a MOTORcycle.  Big engine in a small wasp-waisted frame.  Nice indeed.

Having sold my Honda, and paid off my Jeep Cherokee, I am getting in financial shape to bettter afford a new bike.  As for buying new, I am not against purchasing a used bike, and will look into it as possiblities present themselves.  I know that Tiggers tend to lose value (monetarily only, mind you) fairly quickly, but that is no fault of an other wise excellent mount, as there is a bit of "prejudice", if you will, when it comes to adventure tourers.  BMW's R1100/50 series is an excellent motorbike, and is at the top of the food chain, and the new KTM is tempting, albeit it comes with the caveat of expensive service, but I tend to buy what I want.  

And can afford.  :)

As the knight in the film "Indian Jones and the Last Crusade' said:

"Choose wisely"... :D :D

The Lord watch over you and keep you safe for His return.

The Toad
My Life Insurance Policy?  John 3:16, of course!

Doug95

Toad,

A great list of bikes, you have there.  I completely understand your reluctance to spend foolishly, as I was in much the same position when I bought my Tiger.  It's going to be with me a loooong time.

I too enjoy the unusual, (which is one of the reasons I like so many of the Triumphs Hinckley is building - not too prevalent in the States, and an engine that is like nothing else....) and interestingly, although I don't much care for all the hype surrounding H/D, I've always had an affinity for Sportsters.  I've never owned one, but the first street bike I ever rode was a Sportster, and I'll never forget that ride.

Good luck in your quest for a new ride -

Doug
If you\'ve never stared off into the distance, then your life is a shame.....

- Counting Crows

OldRoadToad

Greetings!

I received a quote for a 2003 Tiger from my insurance company (GEICO).  Full coverage for $446.00 per year!  To me, that is excellent.

That is nearly $1,000.00 less than a Guzzi California Stone, and all most as good as a 1200 Sportster ($350.00).  My local dealer does not have any Tigers in stock, but did receive a few new 2002 Sprint STs that they are selling for $6,999.00.

A nice bike, but the insurance is much higher than the Tiger.  I have ridden both, and prefer the big cat.  They would like to sell me a nice new KTM 950 (two in stock), but it is more off road oriented than I, and should be used by some one more capable.  

The Toad

BigDave

Welcome everyone!  Thanks for taking the time to visit and participate here.

Welcome Toad.  If you got more questions about the cat, there are already plenty of capable guys in here to help ya!  Go get one & post your pic!

RobZ

Hey Toad,

Welcome to the group. When are you going to stop lurking on these Tiger groupd and buy what you know you want  :D

Was your insurance for full coverage? I just moved from State Farm to Progressive. Same coverage went from $1200 to $750. I reduced to liability and Non-insured/under-insured and it is $250 a year for my '01 here in Dallas  :D

Keep us posted

OldRoadToad

Hail and well met!

My thanks for the welcome BigDave and RobZ!

Rob, the insurance quote was for full coverage, including uninsured motorist ( a must in Southern California).  To purchase a Tiger, I shall have to give up my DR650, as they are too similar in design/purpose.  My wife hath  spoken, LOL!

I will try and get down to the dealer this Saturday after my son's Karate test session (the dojo and dealer are within a few miles of each other).  I suppose that it can not hurt to inquire as to trade-in value, and what a new Tiger would run me out the door.  Though green is normally my favourite colour, I do like the orange, as does my son Joshua.

I would have to finance, and Triumph is offering 3.9 % to 4.9 % at the moment, and I believe 2003 models are being offered with panniers free of charge, though I could be (and often am) wrong.

Ever since I test rode several Triumphs last December, the Tiger has been my favourite Triumph model.  I can not afford the insurance on a Guzzi ("Sigh"...), but the Tiger is affordable.  

We shall see my good friends.  The game's afoot!

The Lord be with you all.

The Toad

PS- Silver is not too shabby looking too.  Black would be nice.  Green too.  Nice bike, eh? LOL!

wvmxman

It seems as if you Tiger guys have borrowed our Toad for a bit  :)   I just stopped in on a referral from Sir Toad as he lauded you all with high praise over on the Cycle World board.  Nice setup you have here.  Take care.

P.S. Please return the Toad to us when you have assisted him, as he belongs to the CTA.  You may send him C.O.D. if you like  :D

BigDave

You will be receiving a tracking number. Will advise... :)

wvmxman

BigDave, just noticed that you are in the Denver area & wondered if you might tell me what they ever did with Lowry Air Force Base when it shut down?  I spent about 6 or 7 weeks there back in 1992 & fell in love with Colorado, especially Denver.  Got my first (and so far only) tattoo down on East Colfax St in a tattoo shop with what appeared to be a bullet hole or two in the front window!  :shock:

BigDave

They've done a re-delvelopment that made it a pretty nice area.  Lots of nice multi-family and single family homes.  I think there is some room set aside for commercial I am not sure if there is much of that in there yet.  I'll try to cruise through & let you know. :)

looch

Hi.

I'm relatively new to street riding, but have had several dirt bikes - my first, a Yamaha MX80 when I was nine, an XR100 and an XR250R since then.

I got my license in 2001 - a year after buying a 99 F650ST. I was originally looking at a KLR and a DR - the dual-purpose riding position being familiar to me. I saw this second hand BMW for about a grand more than a brand new DR. Sold.

I went on my first trip this past September. A friend and I went down to VA, got on the Skyline Drive at Front Royal, continued on the BRP, ran the Tail of the Dragon, cut across back to VA beach, then hightailed it home. Me on my F and my buddy on his '72 Honda 750 Tour. I really enjoyed it and plan on making at least one trip like this every year. I wasn't very comfortable, though. Also, my wife would like to accompany me next time and I think it would be cruel and unusal to put that little single (the bike) through that.

Enter the Tiger. I was on vacation this past week and decided to make the trip to Montreal to check out the Triumph dealer. He had two - both 2003 models, a silver one with 5000 km's on it and a brand new orange one. I was nosing around and the owner asked if I'd like to take the silver one for a spin. Lucky me - I just happened to bring my riding gear with me  :twisted: .

They slapped an X-plate on and off I went. Oh yes. There will be a Lucifer orange Tiger in my garage very soon.

Nice incentives, too - free hard cases and a grand of Triumph cash. What would (did) you spend yours on?

Oh yeah, why the Tiger? First, I like the dual-purpose riding position. It is what I feel comfortable driving. The 1150GS is just too big for me and has got the price tag to match. Also, I'm hearing bad things about BMW Corporate and the dealer in Montreal is all fluff. What else is there? No Cagiva or Aprilia dealers on this side of the border that I know of.

Anyways, I sit here waiting for the weekend to be over so I can call them up to get the ball rolling.  8)
Looch

OldRoadToad

Welcome looch!

I have some friends in Canada, and spent a few weeks there many years ago, as well as a couple of days in Toronto just two years back.  

Congratulations on your decision to get a Tiger, and orange is an excellent colour choice.

The Lord be with you.

The Toad :D

Finally got into the site. Took me several attempts to register but here I am so you'll all have to put up with me now.

I live in East Sussex in the UK. I have a 955i Tiger bought new in Aug 2002. Covered 17500 miles so far. Mostly whizzing across Europe. No problems with the bike so far. Only the Datatool alarm packed up the 1st week. Can't blame the bike for that. Really enjoy riding the Tiger. It still amazes me just how quickly it gets from A to B on the bumpy back roads. I've fitted some Touratech bits such as engine bars and rad protection. A taller screen and a Scott oiler. Great fun.

Has anyone out there done much off road with one of these beasts?

nomad

Hi,                                                                                                              I'm a former KLR rider ( 10 years 60k miles) , thought it was time to move on so I shopped around and found a 99 tiger with 10k and hard luggage. Love at first site and no payments what could be better? I did shop around quite abit and the tiger suited my needs to a tee. I use it mainly to explore all kinds of paved and some unpaved roads. I also ride with some sportbike friends once a month. I have also toured two up with full luggage. So far I'm very happy with the bike but I did have to sort out the fork dive and I have a hard time getting it off the center stand. I also had to make my own oil cooler and radiator covers out of diamond plate. My TIGER came with all 3 wind screens and I ride mostly with the tallest screen. I have never been much on cruisers, sportbikes, or big tourers and I like the straight up riding position of the TIGER. Most of all it doesn't catergorize me to other riders and non riders . It is truly a unique motorcycle with its own identity. NOMAD

TREADMARKS

Howdy all,

Just popping in to say hi.

01 Black 955i in Miami, FL here.

I love my Tiger, cause she's got style!

Great board BigDave, I'm sure it will be rocking in no time.
A pair of fourtyfives made me open my eyes.-Hollies