News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Southwest in Summer... a big mistake?

Started by squarepeg, March 01, 2006, 04:58:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

squarepeg

I live in Northern California and there's an upcoming family event in Flagstaff, AZ... in July.

While picking up maps at the local AAA, another rider informed me I'd be "crazy" to make such a trip on my Tiger during the summer.

Although I myself have occassionally wondered about my ongoing mental health, for me this is a ride I  have been looking forward to for a long time.  The timing my not be ideal, but  I  have no control over it (a wedding).

I'm not afraid of some discomfort, and relish the idea of a challenge.  I would certainly want to research hot-weather riding tips.  

But are there some serious risks I'm just not aware of?  Should I abandon this idea just because it's too "crazy?"
a squarepeg in sj

\'05 Triumph 955i Tiger

\'05 Honda VT750  Shadow Aero

apache

Whats wrong with that trip? yeah It might be a little hot but dress properly and carry water and youll be fine. I do most of my trips in summer, I live in San Luis Obispo area and ride to death valley or Lucerne valley, bishop,yosemite, cal valley, all them places that get hot. I would prepare undoubtly but sounds like a good trip. cover your body so the hot wind dosent wick the moisture from you and dehydrate you. do some research on the subject, sounds like a blast to me.

¥TigerTamer?

The other thing to remember is that Flagstaff is not typical AZ.  When you say  Arizona, most people immediately think of 120 degree desert heat.  I live in Boulder, Colorado and Flagstaff, AZ is actually at a higher elevation than here.  Flagstaff is at about 7000ft - so even in July, once you cross through the California desert (depending upon your route) you will be climbing 'up' to Flagstaff.  Flagstaff can be as much as 30 or 40 degrees cooler than Phoenix.  My parents live in Phoenix, so I'm familiar with trips out there and back.  On one particular trip (in the truck, not the bike) Flagstaff was snowing and 30 some degrees.  2 hours down the mountain to Phoenix and it was 70 degrees and sunny.

I think it sounds like a great ride.  Just take time and do thorough preparation and you will have fun.

2005 Triumph Tiger 955i

2004 Triumph Daytona 955i SE (sold)

1995 Triumph Trophy 1200 (RIP)

Sasquatch

I agree with the above posts.  I cannot stress enough to hydrate.  If you do not already have one, a Camelbak has become a necessety of mine.  I am also 100% convinced that the newest generations of preforated textile mesh riding gear was developed directly by God for our riding pleasures.

ram1000

When I get too hot on a ride I jump in a lake or a river.  That's a little old fashion but...

squarepeg

Thanks, guys.  What I needed to hear. It's a done deal.

As long as I'm going I intend to make a real adventure out of it.  Apache, I've been trying to get to DV for over twenty years and this would, obviously, be the time to do it.  Would your same advise still apply?

Sasquatch, any specifc recommendations for mesh gear?  I've had a Hein Gericke mesh jacket with a removable liner for a couple of years; super comfortable under any conditions.  Do you know of any mesh pants with liners and armor that I should check out?

Sold my camelback in a garage sale several years back before I started riding again, but a great bit of advice.  I'm thinking maybe I could just pick up the bottle and hose and stuff it in the tank bag.
a squarepeg in sj

\'05 Triumph 955i Tiger

\'05 Honda VT750  Shadow Aero

apache

The brunt of DV gets mighty hot. we typically campout during spring. there are various places to room at if desired or camp at wildrose 4K elev or above at mahogany flats which is around 6-7K? stays cool there. Ive been there when it was snowing at wildrose, so we went down to stovepipe wells some 30 minutes where it was a nice 75 or so. They even do a marathion run in the middle of summer thru the valley. This I would never do but riding is fun. Theres some many places to see I wouldent even know where to tell you to start. Maybe we can hookup one of the trips and meet up with some others. We dont do anything to daring to save equiptment in a remote place like DV but the possibilities are endless, from sand,rocks,washboards,pavement you name it. great fun.

ArizonaKid

Since I actually live here I suppose I can offer some advice. It's true that Flagstaff is 7000 feet and relatively cool(er) in the summer, but if you travel any distance from Flag in any direction you'll be riding into some significant heat.   A mesh jacket with a "soppin' wet vest" will work wonders to help keep you cool, a wet rag around your neck helps, and most of all. . . keep moving!  Light gloves and an open face helmet will help also.

I commute year around (even in the summer) on a bike and it can get brutal here in the summer, but dress appropriately, try to avoid the heat of the day and carry water and you'll be alright.  Just takes some gettin' used to and some common sense.  Staying up in elevation will be the ticket and there's plenty of good riding in the mountains surrounding the Phoenix metro area.  Enjoy your visit  and remember. . . it's a dry heat!
Arizona Kid

Riding hard and fast down Arizona way

2007 Triumph Tiger

coldcanadian

squarepeg.

Do the ride!!!  I just drove ( with the bike loaded in a pick-up!! DAMN )back through Arizona on the way back from a ride in Mexico, I was blown away by the riding possibilities. I am already planning to do a ride that way this summer.
Take the Long Way........Make it Twisty

Patrick the Scot

Quote from: "ArizonaKid"Enjoy your visit  and remember. . . it's a dry heat!

So true!

Here's is your choice: Houston at 100% humidity and 100 degrees, or Phoenix at 10% and 120.  If I had to choose... I'd take Phoenix everytime.

Sounds crazy but dress up like an A-rab to protect yourself from the deadly sun.

Have a great trip.
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Texas Tech Red Raiders - 2008 BIG IIX NCAAF CHAMPS

TRKTEK

It is not crazy to take the advice of the experts..........
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

John Kenneth Galbraith

jp4evr

Check out Olympia Airglide for mesh pants with good airflow and the liner for wind / waterproof.  

I rode from Sac to Havasu in leathers and it was like riding into a hairdryer all day.  Bring a camelbak or whatever water you can carry / gatorade too.  I was really wishing I had my current gear on that trip.
2000 TIGER - Current - finally....

2000 TT600 - now my wife\'s ring

1997 CBR 600F2 - sold

1998 Suzuki - Bottom of ravine - Oops!