News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

About time I posted mine!

Started by tcowjww, March 02, 2006, 12:58:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tcowjww

So then, does anybody know why Triumph removed the little eyebrow transfers from the top fairing on 2005-on models?  Glad my 2003 has them, it looks much more friendly for it :-)

Rawkus

I prefer my '06 w/o them, infact I wish they would take off the gills on the tank  :D  , yeah I know they are stripes but umm yeah. The stripe graphics make it too literal of a translation for my taste.

\'06 Blue Tiger

Aussie Tiger

I agree with Rawkus, I personally don't like the "eye brows" and was glad to see them deleted from the range. Although, I think it depends on the colour of the bike. They don't seem to look too bad on the black. To each his own, I guess.  However, unlike Rawkus, I kinda like the stipes on the side, it sets it apart from other bikes.  But once again, thats just a personal opinion. (I know of some owners who have gone to the trouble and expense to have the tank and front resprayed just to remove both decals, they hated them that much!)

Having said all that, thats one tidy, good looking bike!  What brand of crash bars are they?  They are about the best looking ones i've seen on a Tiger!
2006 Caspian Blue Tiger

Never regret growing old...Its a privilege not afforded to many!

tcowjww

They're the engine bars as sold by Jack Lilley although I can't remember offhand who the original manufacturer is.  One of the big reasons I opted for that particular bike was because the previous owner had already carried out almost every modification I would have wanted to make to it, thus saving me a lot of time and hassle!

It has :

o Centre Stand

o NWS Hugger

o Scottoiler

o Datatool System 3 Alarm/Immob

o Heated Grips

o Full Givi Panniers + Orion Top Box

o Engine Bars

o Triumph Aftermarket Exhaust and Tune Map

o Front Fender-extender

In fact, the only things I'm looking to do in the near future is perhaps replace the fork springs and oil, and upgrate the stock seat.  Otherwise, very happy  :D

PS - Thanks for the compliment!

Rawkus

\'06 Blue Tiger

Patrick the Scot

I see that you have the aftermarket pipe and tune.  Does it work well and would you say it is worth the money? Is the pipe plenty loud? Thanks for any info.
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Texas Tech Red Raiders - 2008 BIG IIX NCAAF CHAMPS

tiger 2664

After market can, did you find it gave anymore performance or is it just a better sound !!  cos I'm thinking of changing from my carb model to a 955i model but I don't thomk I can tweak the engine any, apart from the race can and new map !!,,

cheers Glenn

Patrick the Scot

Quote from: "tiger 2664"... cos I'm thinking of changing from my carb model to a 955i model but I don't thomk I can tweak the engine any, apart from the race can and new map !!,,

cheers Glenn

According to the PJs Triumph (Al, NM) gear heads after you do the race-can and off-road tune, you can also continue with the upgrades as follows:  Power Commander II (adding 8hp on the dyno) and then you can pull the cam and install a 955i Daytona cam (or was it Speed 3?).  The above will leave you with hp in the 140+ range. Now if that won't do it, drop a tooth on the countershaft and you will have a real road rocket.
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

tiger 2664

Where can I find out more about this !!  On my 95 Tiger I replaced the cams with those from a Daytona, had it Dyno jetted and put a set of Renegade race cans on and was showing 108 bhp at the rear wheel!   I was told that on the New ones the 955i Tigers that you could'nt just swap cams over, is my source wrong ??  Do you know anyone who has done this because if this is correct I WILL buy a 955i and do the conversion !!

Patrick the Scot

Quote from: "tiger 2664"Where can I find out more about this !!

Call PJs Triumph in Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA.  Ask for PJ, he was the guy who told me about it.  And let me say, the guys at PJs are really into the competitive road racing circut, so they are all about the power thing.  Hire is the link:

http://www.pjstriumph.com

tiger 2664

Cheers Patrick, I've e mailed them so I'll let you know how I get on, I feel a new project Tiger coming on !!

Brother Number One

Getting back to the original pic, I notice yours has eccentric cam chain adjusters when my 04 does not.  My toolkit does, however, include the hefty allen key required for your eccentric cams.  I've been trying to find what it fits on my bike.  I'm guessing I can just throw it away now.  There's a weight saving.
2015-16 USA & C.America: http://sawthingsclearer.com (click it, click it, click iiiit) 04 silver Tiger, Touratech Zega panniers, CCC titanium can, NWS hugger

tcowjww

QuoteI'm guessing I can just throw it away now

Or you could post it to me - I've been looking for another hex wrench for the other side of the swingarm cos it makes it much easier to do the chain adjustment :D

With regard to the exhaust, I'm not actually using the aftermarket one at the moment for various reasons.  I put a post up on another board along these lines :

QuoteWhen I bought it second hand, my Tiger already had the aftermarket Triumph can fitted to it. I subsequently purchased a standard exhaust for it for three main reasons :

1. Respect for my neighbours. I do about 15-20k miles a year and often return home late at night - I was starting to feel a bit guilty about waking small kids up and, whilst the exhaust is (as others have pointed out) more "throaty" than "loud", it can still be heard clearly through double glazing at 1am ;-)

2. Long journey comfort. Much as the sound of the aftermarket exhaust is addictive on the twisties on a Sunday afternoon pleasure ride, on the long haul rides I found the sound began to get obnoxious after a while, especially if riding at a constant speed which hit the resonant frequency of the can. Even with earplugs!

3. Legality. With an exhaust can stamped "NOT FOR ROAD USE", your bike is not legal for use on UK roads. This means you are not insured and, with the exhorbitant costs of replacement panels and the like for bikes, insurance companies will find *any* excuse not to pay out where possible in the event of a claim. As illegal exhaust modifications are one of the most common modifications to bikes, it's the first thing they look for and subsequently can and do refuse to honour the insurance agreement.

All that said, even though I could sell my aftermarket can on eBay, I'm not going to :-D There's a time and a place for everything but, for me personally, it's not all the time ;-)

Real world power gains/losses between the two triumph cans? A moot point, I reckon. Sometimes I think it's quicker with aftermarket, sometimes not. A fair amount can vary with fuel grade, ambient temperature, ambient humidity and the like. For me, I like the fact that it shoots off the mark like a rocket with little or no fuss and a sophisticated purr, rather than a loud rasp like a boy racer Vauxhall Nova with holes drilled in the exhaust, but each to their own ;-)

Call me a boring fart if you like  :wink:

tcowjww

Oh, one other thing I noticed,  when I was running the aftermarket can I was getting about 200-205 miles to the tank, but now I have returned to the standard one I'm getting about 225 to 230 miles out of a tank.

Edit: By "out of a tank", I mean "until the warning light comes on" :-)

Brother Number One

Quote from: "tcowjww"Or you could post it to me - I've been looking for another hex wrench for the other side of the swingarm cos it makes it much easier to do the chain adjustment :D

Oops.  I dumped it on a campsite in Morocco, every gram helps.  Sorry.
2015-16 USA & C.America: http://sawthingsclearer.com (click it, click it, click iiiit) 04 silver Tiger, Touratech Zega panniers, CCC titanium can, NWS hugger