News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Why did you choose the Tiger?

Started by Doug95, October 05, 2003, 08:30:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug95

Hate to admit it, but the main reason I bought mine was because it looked like the best used bike for the money.  Triumphs in general are some of the best used buys around, IMO.  Depreciation really sucks.  Found a very low mileage 95 for the right price, and jumped on it.  The GS ADV was my dream bike, but really wasn't in the market.  I'm a pretty big guy, and got tired of feeling cramped on smaller bikes.  I'm 99% street with the Tiger- planning to get an xr400 eventually, and put the Baja Designs street kit on it in order to make it a true dual-sport.  I think there are better dirt-oriented dual-sports (DRZ400-S, for example), but I still like the Honda's bulletproof track record, and the DRZ is water-cooled - an advantage to many, but radiators ain't cheap.

Doug
If you\'ve never stared off into the distance, then your life is a shame.....

- Counting Crows

zombie

I'm a hard core street rider and wanted something a little more comfortable for my usual 600mile days that we log up in the summer.

I looked at a shit load of bikes and was really hot to trot on a speed triple until I got a spin on a tiger and that was that.

I traded my R1 in on it and have never looked back.

It is without a doubt the easiest bike I have ever ridden and it is also the most forgiving , by that I mean you can do easy mid corner corrections with out straying off your chosen line.

I took it on a 3600 mile blast last march and did back to back 1000mile saddle sore rides without any problems whatsoever.

I have put the off road can on it , heated grips , dymag rims and I bought a center stand which is worse than useless as I got sick of grounding it in corners and now I only use it for adjusting the rear chain, I also put renthal bars on and dropped the front end in the triple trees for quicker steering.

I beat the crap outta this thing on a regular basis and flog it mercilessly on our sportbike rides and it just keeps getting better.

The motor is really strong and pulls from just about anywhere in the rev range and when it is starting to run outta steam , well by then my rate of travel is getting silly anyway.

I'm always amazed at the mainstream motorcycling press here in the states that they just don't get these bikes, I think it's because the bike pretty much does everything and the press guys are always looking for labels and don't know where to stick this one

So the main reason I ride it is because of it's versatility and the general do everything go anywhere type of rig that it is.

I got the green one but it is  getting painted as alak and alas I hit bambi with it and now a paint job is in order and I'm going black this time matt black with skulls should do nicely and I'm sending out the front end to get some magic breathed into it as It still tends to dive too much for my liking

I'm planning on alaska next year on it from massachusetts so that should be fun.

Tiger on everyone and really nice site dave

Bull

I must confess, I too had the R1150 GS Adventure bug, really badly - though the bugger is almost off-limits to me price wise.  I could stretch the extra dollars if everything else was moving nicely into place but the local BMW dealers treated me so off handedly that I wouldn't like to take business to either of them.  If they treated me that poorly when I was trying to buy a bike, how well could I expect them to treat me when I had a problem (e.g., broken spoke, twisted rim, surging, etc.)

Then I went to British Italian motorcycles in Vancouver to take a quick peek at the in-line triple - the staff there treated me properly - and I'm very pleased to say, almost a year after buying the tiger - they still do.

The chief factors (other than dealer issues already mentioned) that convinced me the Tig was the bike for me was:

very comfy overall seating position (though I'd lke to try a corbin - anyone out there got one for sale?)

the power delivery - lots of it - very smooth onset - and from way down low in the revs,

the overall looks - took a little getting used to - but now I think she's lovely (in a funny sort of way)

the price ticket - great deal on an end of year, brand new 2002

fuel tank has a good range - approx 300 klicks between drinks

the trumpet hard bags looked good, fitted well, and carry enough for me to travel comfortably.

It might not look as sexy as its German cousin, but as the saying goes, "Gentlemen prefer blondes, but marry brunettes."  

:wink:
\"Inconsistency is the mark of genius.\"  Emerson

dag221

I was looking for something in the touring/adventure type category  I suppose. The only other bikes I considered were the BMW1150GS and

the Suzuki V-Strom. I wanted something with an upright i.e. comfortable

seating position that I could ride for long distances. At first I thought the

1150GS was surely the way to go as there are tons of them for sale

at reasonable prices everywhere....used ones anyway. But I  had never actually ridden one and I refuse to buy another motorcycle without

having ridden one like it. The V-Strom was a nice looking bike and the local dealer had some great deals on a couple of them on the floor that I coud have gotten new for a nice discount. But once again I had never ridden one, not even heard one running before and the dealer would not

do either for me.....and I refuse to buy ......well you know the rest.

So that left the Tiger which I thought was rather cool looking, a bit

out of the ordinary ( at least around here) and best of all I found two

decent new ones within a reasonable distance of my location and I

test rode them both. Not being very experienced with street going motorcycles I didn't have much to reference them to when I rode them .

The first one I rode was a 2000 Blue which was in great shape with all the hardbags,center stands etc. Nice bike but didn't blow me away like I hoped it would. I was thinking about it for a few weeks when I found

a yellow '99 just a few miles away. I test rode it and seemed much more drawn to this one than the other one ( perhaps I was just a bit more used to it the second time around). I absolutely loved the size of the thing.

It's not too big ( like the BMW) and not too small like some other

bikes that are more sport than touring. The high rev of the triple didn't

originally thrill me ..and it still doesn't...but other than that I loved it.

And the price was way right. I wish I had the extra 20 horsepower of the newer models as I think it would really come in handly on the highways

but for riding anywhere under 70 mph I can't think of any motorcycle

I would rather ride. I still have to get a better seat for it and  a windscreen to minimize the buffetting and noise level at highway speeds.

All of that is fixable I suppose although I am not sure how difficult  will

be. All in all a great bike that is sure to turn heads wherever you ride

( thought I tend to be a 'blend in' type usually) and is a great bike

for everything except for high speed long distance touring , not without

some modifying first. I still haven't ridden a VStrom but it looks like a

decent bike and I think the twin engine might be a little more comfortable

for higher speed riding ( noise wise at least) but the windscreen doesn't

appear to offer even as much protection as the Tigers. And finally I hated

to buy a new bike and lose all that depreciation if I didn't like it. Which was not a problem with my Tiger. Also no taxes,prep that those dealers always add on. Anwway thats my long rambling story...hope it made sense.

-Dwain

Georiga, USA

yellow 99

RobZ

Guess I'm a little shallow. I was looking for a bike which provided a upright seting position but not a dreser. Saw the Tiger and fell in love with the gauges  8-[  :?  OK I'm a little weard, but at least I got the best bike out there  :D

Pawk

First making the decision to get a 'dual sport' was a journey in itself...

Monster, speed triple, sportster, daytona.  All cool, but not very comfy.

The upright position just fits my body type and riding style the best.

And so, the major players were:

F650GS and or Dakar

GS

Aprilia CapoNord.

950 Adventure

VStrom

Multistrada

Working backwards:

The f650 just doesn't have the long distance capabilities I wanted.  Even with the sweet incentives and finance deals, it just wasn't the fit.  But I was close.

The 1150GS is just too expensive.  If it was the same price as the Tiger I would be typing this on a GS board somewhere....  sad but true.

The Aprilia, I must admit I didn't research this as much as I should have.  That is the only regret I have.  It looks like a great bike and I wish I had looked at it seriously.

The 950 Adventure, simply too much of a dirtbike.  I like long rides which may include long stretches on the slab.

Vstrom, just doesn't do it for me.  easy as that.

Multistrada, sexy as hell.  But its name is misleading, its a street bike and only a street bike.  I need some back road savvy from a bike.

The Tiger,  smooth, powerful, nimble, comfy, great luggage, not as run of the mill as the GS.  Simply, it just feels right.  No question.

The numbers were right and I pulled the trigger and have loved every single mile.

skoron

Over the years I have had a few of the sport bikes and some standards.  Never had a dirt bike since growing out of my mini bike as a kid.  Had a Nighthawk S for general riding due to budget and dollars.  Was having a hard time keeping up with my riding buddies and was feeling the S was just getting old so started looking.  Had always dreamed of the BMW GS series but knew I probably could not offered.  But, like to read the comparisons which included the magazines and ezines.  Then one day, the paper had  a '97 Tiger with less then 3,000 miles (3 years old at the time).  It was a really good price ( balance of loan).  Took it for a ride a couple of times to really get  a feel for it.  I loved the bike but was concerned with the weight and height.  But, love was blind and I bought it.   Have not regretted it.  My only concern has been the parts and acc service from Triumph.  

Last year I went to Hermy's open house and Triumph National demo ride.  Took a new Tiger with off-road can for a demo and had big problems.  What an incredible bike!  Didn't trade yet, but the latest lowered price and free hard bags have me with night sweats.

The comfort and performance of my Steamer are more then I can ask for at this point.  Recommend one to anybody.

Skoron
The ride\'s the thing, travel too fast and you miss the reason.

Steps

Never considered another in this class.

I took the '01 Bonneville in for service and Triumph of Windber (PA) let me take an '01 Tiger home (frog snot green).  Well, when something's right, you just know it.

Bought a Black ('01) one.  Green was really cool, but a tad much for my conservative ass.
\'01 Tiger - Black

\'01 Bonneville

\'76 Sportster

\"Life does not stop and start for your convenience, you miserable piece of shit\"

sycamoredave

I hate to admit it, but buying the Tiger was not about the Tiger.  I have admired them for some time (and adventure tourers in general), and think Triumph makes some of the classiest machines around.   The bike has great power, a good seating position for me, handles well, and a great ride.  But  for me, it was not as much about the bike, as about the ride.  I live in Ohio, and decided that it would be interesting to buy a bike in NM or AZ, and ride it home to OH, following Route 66 and 40 as much as possible.  I did that.  1724 miles.  Along the way, I pretty much fell under the influence of the big cat.  I originally planned to sell it upon my return, but a month later, it is still in the garage, and I am having a very tough time thinking about selling it.   I might as well admit that the darn thing has won me over, and call it a day...  8)
Dave Ewart

Mount Vernon, OH

\'96 Tiger

\'94 Honda PC800

\'81 Suzi GS750EX

blacktiger

I'm 6'6" and mostly leg. I had a '91 Nighthawk that I loved, but was just too physically small for me. The reasonable choices: Tiger, GS, VStrom.

GS: Way too expensive. Too odd looking. Didn't give me anything the Tiger didn't. Only somewhat better dealer distribution.

VStrom: Lots of dealers. Japanese quality (I've always had Jap bikes). Way to weird looking. Too much plastic. Best leg room of the bunch. Couldn't get a test ride unless I bought it first (jerks).

Tiger:  Leg room not as good, but a damn good fit. Love the engine. Seems like its built about as well as the other two.  Like the looks.

Like the reaction (Dude, what kind of bike is that?). Hauls ass.

BMSBIKE

'02 Black (Hobbes)
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Lucifertiger

After years of riding sportsbikes and sports tourers with my mates, one of them bit the bullet and sold his ZX-12R and bought a R1150GS! OMG I thought what a pig ugly looking bike! We called it the "the HUMPY" .

At the time I had a 99 CBR900RR. I loved it but was curious about duel purpose bikes and the riding on both dirt and tar. My mate sweared by his GS and was loving it, so I bit the bullet and bought an Aprillia Pegaso 650. It was a good bike a lot of fun to ride, very nimble, but had no balls. I liked the riding postion and the versatility it offered, and decided to sell the Blade and buy a track bike, as I thought the Blade was not going to get anymore road use. I saw there was a triumph test ride day in my local area and decided to take a Tiger for a run. I had done some homework on the Tiger and it seemed to be the best looking duel purpose bike.

When I left the showroom and fired the engine up with the offroad pipe and took off down thew road, within 2 kilometres I was sold! It felt like a cross between a sports bike and a trailbike! I was impressed with its nimbleness, good brakes awsome motor, wide comfy seat, but the only thing that i did not like was the front end dives like the "Kirsk" under heavy breaking. (nothing that could not be fixed).

Three months later after numerous rides on my mates GS I picked up my new 2002 black 955i. I had a wonderful time on it, although I did stuff around with the front end to get it right and found the rear walled a little when cranked over all the way on bumpy mid corners. I played around with the preload and cranked the dampening all the way and it was a lot better. Unfortunately due to unforseen circumstances I had to sell it, It broke my heart that I had finally found the bike of my dreams and had to sell it. For three months I sat at home on weekends with no bike to ride.....

Then I managed to scrape up enough to buy a  96, ZX-6R. It was a lovely bike low k's and rode very well, but I missed the Tiger more than ever......

Two months ago I was able to take delivery of my 2003 Lucifer Orange Tiger, I was not too sure of the colour until I saw it in the flesh, I originally wanted black, but are just as happy with the orange. I kept my Tankcover and painted it, kept the fork springs & the Givi top box which was orginally from the Pegaso. I Ordered it with heated grips and centre stand (as I got a puncture on the old one). I have now covered nearly 5,000k's in two months and love it more than ever. Last week I rode with 2 of my mates who both have GS's and I we swapped bikes, I can still say, the GS does not feel right for me, although I like the suspension on the GS a little better because the front has no dive, but do not like the engine, as the tripple a a far nicer engine! :twisted:

Two months

Doug95

Congrats on your bike -  I love that orange color.....

Doug
If you\'ve never stared off into the distance, then your life is a shame.....

- Counting Crows

NortonCharlie

My Norton 850 Commando Roadster (with the Interstate tank) was getting a bit long in the tooth and my right knee would get a bit sore sometimes.  The Tiger was the 1st thing I saw out there that tripped my trigger.  I did look around a bit to make sure there wasn't something else I wanted.  I thought the BMW looked OK, but not really what I was looking for.  I did the same thing when I bought the Norton.  If I'd had another $1000.00 in 1973 I might have had a R90S rather than the Norton.  I made the right choice then same as now.

I got my Green 01 955 Tiger in July 2002 with 2300 miles on it (Thanks Mark) Now I have 30,700 on it.  It has never let me down and keeps me grinning.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

Wrangler

Bought my first bike last year, a Bonneville 01.  Great first bike with accessories including off-road pipes.  Its a great versatile bike, throw it around in the city or put it on the interstate she never complains.

But what I found out is that what I like most is the Big Mile Days (personal record this year was 2400 kms in 2 days).  Did it on the Bonnie and am still doing it (went out last weekend blasting through Ontario backroads) but realized something more designed for touring would be all that much sweeter.  Was bunge cording a backpack to the seat on sleepovers.

Looked at Tourers but didn't like the fairing look.  Personal opinion, great for pointing in a straight line and going but I still wanted something for commuting and city riding.  I know the fairing provides great protection but couldn't see myself on one.  Also didn't like the hard attached paniers seen on a lot of tourers and cruisers, but recognized their functionality.

Then I start looking at the Tiger.  Its wind protection is integrated through the windscreen and bulbous gas tank.  Throw on the paniers for cross-country but take them off during the week and you have a naked look for urban battle.

Best of all it just looks different.  Not a cruiser, not a tourer with fairing but versatile.

Also, I'm 6'3" and there were times the Bonnie seemed a little small.  I won't have any problem flat footing at stops with the Tiger.

The only problem is I bought the Tiger but don't get possession till Spring

BTW Great website
I\'ve been from Tucson to Tucumcari

Tehachapi to Tonopah

BigDave

So Wrangler, did you order the fastest color?  Black?  :lol:

Black ones are bigger too.  :roll:

You'll enjoy it.  I am 6'5"  and I am at home on the Tiger.