News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Why did you choose the Tiger?

Started by Doug95, October 05, 2003, 08:30:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wrangler

I'm impressed with the Black and the 04 Silvers turn my crank, but opportunity and circumstances directed me to select the LUCIFER ORANGE.  A common demoninator in me says:  Tiger = Orange
I\'ve been from Tucson to Tucumcari

Tehachapi to Tonopah

TREADMARKS

I chose the tiger, cause she's got style!  8)

I grew up racing Honda XRs, and to me, the Tiger is like an XR, only for the pavement.

After watching supermoto races last week, I like the tiger even more!

:lol:
A pair of fourtyfives made me open my eyes.-Hollies

Sasquatch

Fresh meat here.  Hi group.

I did a whole buch of research and it took me a good 2 years to finally decide what motorcycle route I wanted to go.  I have been an avid off road dirtbike racer for years, but was getting tired of it.  On the street, I had been riding, racing, and building sportbikes since the mid 80's.  The last few years I have even been taking the sport bikes touring.  Not a good combination.

Here in the PNW, we literally have tens of thousands of miles of dirt roads that just beg to be explored.  Extensive mining history abounds with ghost towns and old mines all over the place.  I had always wanted to get into some heavy duty exploring.  Along with that, I wanted to do long distance touring, not limited to the pavement.

Only two bikes fit this discription.  The BMW 1150GS, and the Tiger.  I had spent most of the time researcing the BMW, since I had not really heard much about the tiger.  Any adventuring story you hear you see BMWs.  Finally, in early September of this year, I was ready for a test drive.  The local BMW/Triumph dealer is really nice to deal with.  I went in and explained that I wanted a test drive on the GS but I wanted to spend some time in the dirt.  They were familiar with my racing experience and just tossed me the keys to an 02 and said "have fun".

I spent about 2 hours farting around on dirt roads with it and was rather impressed.  Felt kind of like riding a water buffalo, but it got the job done.  I was not really impressed with it on the road because of the lack of power and the shear weight of it.  It vibrated a bit as well.  This was ok, since I still had my sport bikes.

Turning the bike back into the dealer, he asked me if I would like to try a tiger.  They had a left over 01 955i that he said he would make me a killer deal on.  So I headed out on the 01.  What a difference.  There is no comparing the two.  Where I was just negotiating a corner on the GS (in the dirt), I was sliding the Tiger through it on the gas.  I felt like a kid on a new toy.  It felt so much more like a dirtbike than the GS, I could not believe it.

I then jumped on the freeway and it performed so well there that I decided to buy it and sell the sportbikes, something I would not consider with the GS.

Now, I have a wonderfull Tiger, complete with aluminum and factory painted paniers (For street and dirt), heated grips, trip computer, crash bars, cruise control and a taller windsceen.  My dad ended up buying an 04 shortly after me and we have never looked back.

Jay