News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Need help with torque Wrenches and other tools

Started by alpinestart, June 10, 2006, 11:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alpinestart

It's time for me to do some work on my '01 Tiger.

Naturally, I'll need the right torque wrench(es) to do the job... it looks as if the torque settings range anywhere from 2 to 132 Nm in the manual for the various parts.

Since I've never used a torque wrench before, I don't know jack about what I should buy.

I would be grateful if someone who has the right tools could line me out. I need specifics. Links would be great too.

Thanks in advance.
- Go Vertical

Brother Number One

My torque wrench is about a foot long, easy to use, and I've had it for about a hundred years.  I'd just get one that suits my budget, if I were you.  Others may shout me down, but I worry less about the higher torques, I just swing off a normal socket wrench; it's the lower torques, on the smaller components, that you need the t.wrench for.  On many bikes, not Triumphs in particular, the sump plug is a favourite for thread stripping so I am always very careful there.

Be cool & good luck  :D
2015-16 USA & C.America: http://sawthingsclearer.com (click it, click it, click iiiit) 04 silver Tiger, Touratech Zega panniers, CCC titanium can, NWS hugger

kevm

Like the Brother says, a torque wrench is more about stopping you stripping threads than failing to do it up tight enough.  You won't get one wrench that will cover the whole range; you'll need two.  Start with the small one; with the big stuff like wheel nuts, just pull as hard as you do with your car wheel nuts and you won't go far wrong.  Give it a good old heave - I doubt many people could strip an axle thread with a foot long wrench ...

Brother Number One

Quote from: "kevm"I doubt many people could strip an axle thread with a foot long wrench ...

The trick is to land on it squarely with both feet :wink:
2015-16 USA & C.America: http://sawthingsclearer.com (click it, click it, click iiiit) 04 silver Tiger, Touratech Zega panniers, CCC titanium can, NWS hugger

iansoady

There is such a thing as too cheap with torque wrenches as they can be very inaccurate especially at the lower end. I tend to use mine only for critical things like head bolts but even there if you're careful you can manage without.

Although I confess I haven't had the head off the Tiger.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

ArizonaKid

Go to any Sears store and buy one of their torque wrenches.  They range from cheap to expensive and are calibrated in both Nm and foot pounds, they're generally bullet proof and are backed by the Sears Craftsman lifetime guarantee.  Can't beat them. . .  By the way, a good torque wrench is a MUST for anyone who is serious about quality wrenching on anything.  Both over-tightening and under-tightening can produce disasterous results.  Sounds like you want to do things right, and a decent torque wrench will be a good addition to your tool crib. . . IMHO.
Arizona Kid

Riding hard and fast down Arizona way

2007 Triumph Tiger

klrbill

If you have a Pep Boys around you...they "loan" tools, but they take a deposit which is the cost of the tool.  The guy behind the counter told me basically if I like the tools, keep them.  The smaller ranged wrench they had was real nice; twist-grip with a locking collar to snap in settings.  I forget the brand but it's a nice tool and was was only like $45.  If you've shopped for decent torque wrenches you'll know that's a good price.  And, if you don't like the tools you can just bring them back and get your deposit back.
Sincerely,

KLR Bill

tyrebyter

I've not been able to properly work on the Tiger without three torque wrenches. 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" drive. Mine are Ithaca click type and I also have a couple of Snap-On dial reading. Click type are easy to use especially if in a position where you can't see a dial but they are also easy to screw up by forgetting to let off the spring tension when finished. Dial types are great if you want to see what's happening. Quality wrenches of either type are expensive. The third option is beam type and can be of the highest quality, less expensive and stupid-simple. If I had it all to do over again (and had not made my living with tools in a previous life) the beam type would be my choice.
\'01 Camo Tiger

\'98 Speed Triple

Brother Number One

I am becoming my father.  I have ONE perfectly good torque wrench and, servicing the rear brake, yesterday, I didn't use it; I just guessed.  Lazy or what?

tyrebyter

The quality of the work is reflected in the quality of the job.
\'01 Camo Tiger

\'98 Speed Triple

wonko the sane

Quote from: "Brother Number One"I am becoming my father.  I have ONE perfectly good torque wrench and, servicing the rear brake, yesterday, I didn't use it; I just guessed.  Lazy or what?

With enough experience with a torque wrench, you can probably get within the acceptable range by feel.

How much experience is enough?

That depends on the individual.  YMMV :lol:
The world is a book, and those who don\'t travel, read only a page.

St. Augustine

tyrebyter

I've been wrenching for more than 40 years and apparently that's not enough experience to forego a torque wrench. Whenever I guess, I guess wrong.
\'01 Camo Tiger

\'98 Speed Triple