News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

New happy Tigger owner

Started by 2004Tiger, June 26, 2006, 12:18:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2004Tiger

My new-to-me Tigger is black, and beautiful. Only 4300 miles by two PO's. Gel seats, center stand, cases, tank bag. I love it. I think this is a quantum leap from my old 1100GS. Goodbye vibrations, drive train lash, sore shins from the cylinder guards, and constant maintenance.

Now the bad part. This Tigger was often parked outside. All of the soft black rubber covers are cracked and degraded (mirror boots, wire boots). Anyone else have this condition?

Second, I want to check/adjust the throttle body balance. I do not use the services of any dealership or mechanic, performing all maintenance and repairs myself. I have dual vacuum gages but I will get a mercury triple manometer setup. Is the procedure the same as the BMW?

Third, what repair manual is adequate, assuming I don't need to get into the engine or transmission? An electrical schematic would be useful.

Fourth, what chain lube is recommended in the USA? I haven't done chain maintenance since my MX days in the '70's, having had BMW's as road bikes since then.

See you on the road.
2004 Tiger. Black is beautiful. If I don\'t ride a little every day I get a little crazy.

Brother Number One

Erm, can't really help too much other than to agree that twins are shite.  Hope others can help  :D
2015-16 USA & C.America: http://sawthingsclearer.com (click it, click it, click iiiit) 04 silver Tiger, Touratech Zega panniers, CCC titanium can, NWS hugger

TigerTrax

I suppose when you find out what year you have  ... we could be of more help.

But the easy stuff.... try Baxter Cycle in Marne, Iowa for used/salvaged parts.

Erico Motorsports is a good dealer.. don't know about used stuff.

Chain Wax seems to be the lube of choice.

Plan on coming to the Tiger Ride-In Sept 14-16  Durango, CO.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

2004Tiger

He told me it was a 2004, SO I USED THAT AS MY USER NAME.

Erico in Denver sold it second-hand to the PO. They did the maintenance also.

Thanks for the info.
2004 Tiger. Black is beautiful. If I don\'t ride a little every day I get a little crazy.

JRO

I understand there is a Haynes manual, which is cheaper, but not as good as the factory one.

Most any comercial chain-lube is excellent, these days.

In my experience, once the plastic/rubber parts have started to disentegrate, there's not much you can do, except replace them.

Can't help you with BMW mant. comparisons. It's not a BMW, though. You will find yourself extremely happy as you discover this.
JRO

2006 Tiger

Brother Number One

Quote from: "2004Tiger"He told me it was a 2004, SO I USED THAT AS MY USER NAME.

My 04 is an 05 model :!: If you have cast wheels, not wire, and a chain adjuster that uses nuts, not big allen keys, then it's an 05... I think.

You could show us a pic.
2015-16 USA & C.America: http://sawthingsclearer.com (click it, click it, click iiiit) 04 silver Tiger, Touratech Zega panniers, CCC titanium can, NWS hugger

toddtruby

the 10th digit of the VIN will give the model year.  4 for 2004; 5 for 2005.

2004Tiger

I'm sorry that my attempt at humor flopped. My Tiger is definately a 2004. I believed that since my USER NAME is 2004Tiger everybody would get the hint. There are some dull knives in this drawer.

Brother Number One

Come on then, show us a pic, let's see who's right.  There's still a chance it's an 05 :D