News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

New member/questions about the Tiger

Started by ram600, October 09, 2003, 05:26:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AK Tiger

I know that there are several of us in this forum that have done 1000-1500 miles in under 24 hrs on our Tigers.  Many of us have used the bike for extended two-up touring.  I also know that many have taken their Tigers off-road to places that would make mere mortals blanch.  That's the beauty of this bike... it's the Swiss army knife of motorcycles.  It's smooth, fast , fuel efficient (47.7 - 57.5 MPG w/ a 51.9 avg.), and different enough so that I don't see a replica every couple of miles. I tried several bikes for extended periods of time (GS and Strom, not the KTM) before deciding on the Triumph.   I don't have a love affair with my dealer because I haven't needed him; the bike has purred like kitten from day on to today.  I suppose the "bottom line" is that haven't regretted the purchase or otherwise wished that I'd purchased something else.  Let's ride!
Darrell
IBA 16091
2005 Tiger
2002 Tiger (Deceased - Killed by a suicidal caribou)

tenpaq

Quote from: "RobZ"
Quote from: "bmsbike"Right, a motorcycle that lools like a robot. That was the point see... #-o

I thought a robot that only look like a motorcycle  :shock:
how bout a piece of shit that looks motorbike!!!aaaahhhaahaahaa  aEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! grow up punk and get a TIGER!
\"If you can`t get hurt, skip it!\"

2004 Silver Tiger

Iron Dave

Hello Tiger riders! I just registered, and I thought I'd post on this thread rather than start another one of those newbie threads.

I dont actually own a tiger, but I am fond of Triumph bikes and am in the market for a new bike and the Tiger is one that I am considering.

I havent had a chance to test ride one yet, but I have read alot about them and have ridden a few Triumphs (Daytona, ST, Speedmaster).

I've had my current bike for 4 months, a Moto Guzzi V11 Scura and at the time I narowed it down to either the Guzzi or a Sprint ST. I decided i'd go Guzzi as it was a limited edition version, and I could always change later and get a Sprint without any problems. If I did it the other way around and got the Sprint but then didnt like it, I'd miss out on the Scura cos' it was one of the last 2 available in Australia.

So anyways, now that I've been riding again day-in day-out (hadnt ben on two wheels for around 2 years) my criteria for my ideal bike has changed somewhat.

As far as rider comfort goes, I'm looking for an upright riding position that won't kill my back/wrists.

And as far as the bikes capabilities go, i dont need a pure speed machine and i cant afford to lose my licence anyway. As long as the bike can take most cars from the traffic lights im happy.

In Australia, 10% of the roads I ride on are great, 40% average, 40% shit-house and the other 10% would be unsealed (dirt) roads that I can't go on at present but would like to be able to.

While I understand the Tiger isnt a bike for serious dirt riding, i just need a bike that doesnt have to cut short the journey because of an unsealed road.

Obviously the proof will be in pudding (test ride) but just thought I'd see if you guys had any advice for me on what to expect/look out for from the Tiger whether it be good or bad.

If I do go for the Tiger I'd be going for a brand newie.

AK Tiger

Hi Dave - Greetings from Alaska... where 20% of our roads are great, 50% average, 20% poor and the other 10% would be unsealed (dirt) roads that I can and do go on because I can.  It's not a Goldwing, though it's taken me and my daughter across many of the Western states and Canadian provinces; it's not a GSX1000, though it handles well enough and is fast enough to get me thrown in jail 'most anywhere in this or any other country; it's no YZ250, though it's taken me on some single-tract "roads" that I probably shouldn't have been on.  If you're looking for a bike that can do most everything competently, that's a Tiger.  And you won't see another one on every street corner.  I bought mine based on what I thought I'd use it for, but I'll be keeping it for many, many more years just 'cause it works so well in so many different ways that I hadn't considered.
Darrell
IBA 16091
2005 Tiger

Iron Dave

Thanks AK, i appreciate your comments. That's pretty much what appeals to me about the Tiger,a go-anywhere do-anything type bike.

I was actually keen on the Tiger before I went and got my current bike, but I read a review of it that put me off a bit.  It was an Aussie bike mag that compared the Tiger against the GS, V-Strom and Caponord. They all RAVED about the Tiger, except its rear suspension. This is what they had to say about it;

"On the road the Tiger has plenty of clearance. Nothing touches. On the dirt however the plush suspension got the sump touching once and exacerbated an already sore back. The front suspension was extremely soft and hugely raked out. Handling was improved under brakes when the suspension was compressed with the bike turning a lot quicker on the steeper steering angle. The rear suspension struggled with the raked out front but improved once the stanchions went up through the yokes allowing a little more noticeable change from the rear adjustment.

That was on the road. On the dirt the pogo effect, at times, was terrifying. The rear would squat on acceleration and, if it did break loose, would try and fling you sky high. Rebound adjustment went all the way to the stop and there was no effect gained from the change. Adjustment of the preload helped things slightly, but the rear shock is useless off-road. Great for the road where there is minimal difference in the road surface, but out of its league when it came to serious off-road riding."

They do acknowledge that the Tiger is aimed more at sealed roads than off, and they were taking the bikes on some serious off-road riding, so maybe they took the Tiger too far out of its range?

The model they tested was 2002 Tiger. They weren't out to get the Tiger, as I mentioned they loved everything else about the bike, and they said if it had of had a good rear shock it would have been the best of the bunch, but they felt so strongly about how poor it was.

What do you guys think about these comments? What are your own experiences with the suspension on the Tiger?

Quote from: "Iron Dave"".

That was on the road. On the dirt the pogo effect, at times, was terrifying. The rear would squat on acceleration and, if it did break loose, would try and fling you sky high. Rebound adjustment went all the way to the stop and there was no effect gained from the change.

From reading that I'd say the shock was knackered. I can notice a difference when I adjust the rebound damping.

I've ridden mine on some fairly fast (50mph) dirt roads with some bad pot holes at times and the Tiger took it all with complete composure. I think the forks are excellent and absorb the bumps far better than my R100GS. All in all I reckon the Tiger suspension is pretty spot on.

For me it 's the weight of the thing that puts me off going too far into the unknown.

Iron Dave

Quote from: BlacktigerFrom reading that I'd say the shock was knackered./
QuoteGood point Blacktiger. I was thinking it may have been that their test bike had a faulty shock. I guess we'll never know for sure, but their account seems very different from your experience.

Thanks for your feedback!

AK Tiger

Hey Dave - If the testers couldn't tell any difference after adjusting the dampning, then something was definitely amiss.  Just a bit of adjustment on my '01 makes a whale of a difference.  As Blacktiger stated, "...it's the weight of the thing that puts me off going too far into the unknown."  It's not the suspension.
Darrell
IBA 16091
2005 Tiger

Iron Dave

Thanks guys, I'll eandeavour to test ride a Tiger sometime in the new year and I'll let you know what I think.

tenpaq

About the shock on that test bike (3 posts ago) was out of nitrogen or had air in the oil. both would turn a rear suspension into a spring ride! my bike also responds well to adjustments. i`ve owned at least 53 motorcycles and raced off road for 20 years including winning numerous state mx  and harescramble championships at "A" level, also including winning Amature Day Supercross in Daytona in 1987.  so my point is, the rear shock on my Tiger works really well for such a big pig that it is and the "test bike" had a bum rear end. rest assured!

p.s. Iron Dave, Shane Watts lives here in Fl. during his race season, The GNCC National Championship Series. I ride with him all the time even though he rides a new KTM 950 ADV.  Shane is a factory KTM rider and 2000 GNCC national champion. born in Aus. just like you. Mate!!
\"If you can`t get hurt, skip it!\"

2004 Silver Tiger

Iron Dave

Quote from: "tenpaq"About the shock on that test bike (3 posts ago) was out of nitrogen or had air in the oil. both would turn a rear suspension into a spring ride! my bike also responds well to adjustments. i`ve owned at least 53 motorcycles and raced off road for 20 years including winning numerous state mx  and harescramble championships at "A" level, also including winning Amature Day Supercross in Daytona in 1987.  so my point is, the rear shock on my Tiger works really well for such a big pig that it is and the "test bike" had a bum rear end. rest assured!

p.s. Iron Dave, Shane Watts lives here in Fl. during his race season, The GNCC National Championship Series. I ride with him all the time even though he rides a new KTM 950 ADV.  Shane is a factory KTM rider and 2000 GNCC national champion. born in Aus. just like you. Mate!!

Sweet! Thanks mate.  8)

Cache

Noticed a few posts about the V-Stroms.  Thought I'd post me 2 cents on them.  My buddy bought one last year, guess it's an 02 maybe 03.  Anyways, I tried her out for about 1/2 an hour on our Sea to Sky Highway from Vancouver to Whistler.  The first thing I noticed was how light it felt compared to my '97 Tiger.  The seat height was lower and the riding feeling was not as upright and relaxed.  The motor has nice torque, but I didn't like the sound.  The air intake was very noticeable.  I had go-carts and minibikes that sounded similar, lol.  Overall it felt like the mere $10000 CDN  pricetag it boasts.  The levers, gauges, and attention to detail just doesnÌt compare.  It's a cheap ÎadventureÌ bike with decent power and an overdrive.  The bike likes to cruise at low RPMs.  You had to work her in the corners and didn't handle anywhere near how the Tigger trax.  I believe this to be the leading axle forks on the Tiger that makes her track like a train on rails and handle the way she does.  With the Tiger, the turns are effortless; you can ride her like a motocross bike off-road in the vertical position around corners with ease.  She loves to slide, but no sweat with the hammer down.  My beef is the T66Ìs are no longer available.  They worked great off-road and I donÌt care what anybody says, they can KMA, they rocked on the gravel and dry pavement (which is where I spend most of my riding time).  Oh well, time to try the Anakees, they look somewhat horny.  Anyways, back to the V-Strom÷  I wouldnÌt buy one.  I made a bad impression on my off-road pals, they think IÌm nuts, so test riding their bikes on the rough might take some gentle persuasion.  Next season, IÌll cut that V-Strom loose on the dirty, bumpy stuff, see if I like it any better.  IÌd be interested in the Honda Varadero if they brought one into my Country and gave her a couple more inches of travel.
\"Ah but fortunately... I have the key, to escape reality\" - John Prine

Quote from: "Cache"My beef is the T66Ìs are no longer available.  .

Pirelli do an "MT90 A/T". these are an all terrain version of the tyre that is a recommended fitment on the 955i Tiger. Should be just what you're looking for.

Cache

Quote from: "Blacktiger"
Quote from: "Cache"My beef is the T66Ìs are no longer available.  .

Pirelli do an "MT90 A/T". these are an all terrain version of the tyre that is a recommended fitment on the 955i Tiger. Should be just what you're looking for.

I've looked into these, and they did tweak my curiosity.  However, what's the speed rating?  I ride fast and hard on the road - The Michelin man on my T66 is barely visible.  Mind you, I change tires at most 6000 miles, regardless of life left.  I don't think those'd cut the mustard for the road.  I'm gonna first try the Anakee's because I'm a Michelin man lol - French or not, it's me life I'm concerned about.  Have you tried the Anakees Blacktiger?  The Pirelli ATs??  Whats your opinion?  My friend just fit a nice new set on his '94.  They look nice, maybe not as aggressive as I'd like.  They've finally reversed the tread pattern on the front tire to aid in the braking and hopefully cut down on the scalping.  If I don't like 'em, I 'may' try the Tourances, failing that, the Pirellis.

Thanks,  Cache

Cache

BTW, you sound like my kinda rider.  Some stiff competition...

Quote from: "Blacktiger"See you in the pub!

I'll get the beers in while I wait for you to catch up. Te he!